LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Show me pics with spacers....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-13, 11:05 AM
14LSSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me pics with spacers....

Hey,

Stopped by my local dealer and they had a 14 LS F-Sport in the showroom. I was thinking about putting on some Wheel Adapters to move the wheel out.. I've been looking on here and it seems like 15 mm for front and 20 mm for rear.

With several people in the car, will the wheels rub the fender? What's the benefit of doing this, just for looks?

Looked awful tight in there, if you move the wheel out about 3/4 of a inch?

Can you guys post some pics on here please and give me your opinions.
Old 12-15-13, 11:34 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

If you absolutely have to do it for looks then go for it. Spacers will ruin the scrub radius and greatly effect the handling for the worse. It will also cause premature wheel bearing failure and if you have a warranty they will not cover any components that will be effected by it.
I personally think it looks played out silly but if you like the look that's all that matters as long as you don't mind sacrificing the driving feel.

Last edited by Devh; 12-15-13 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Marc780 (04-15-24)
Old 12-15-13, 11:57 AM
14LSSport
Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
If you absolutely have to do it for looks then go for it. Spacers will ruin the scrub radius and greatly effect the handling for the worse. It will also cause premature wheel bearing failure and if you have a warranty they will not cover any components that will be effected by it.
I personally think it looks played out silly but if you like the look that's all that matters as long as you don't mind sacrificing the driving feel.
I agree with you.

I thought the stock wheels filled out the wheel wells pretty good.

Glad I went to the dealer and checked the car out again. I don't think you need them on the car, that's my opinion and likes.
Old 12-15-13, 12:05 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I have pics in my build thread and the wheel and tire faq sticky thread with my 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers with oem 19s on my 600hL..its perfect imo. Unless the one at the dealer was on spacers, there is no way the wheels fill out the gap. In fact all of us were griping about this to ths lexus reps during the LS unveiling here. The Akata bolt on hubcentric spacers will be just fine. I ran mine on road trips and never once an issue and no bearing issues. People track and drift cars on spacers and many never have issues. IF I have an issue involving my wheel hub or anything, it's good practice to remove the spacers for warranty work to be on the safe side

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-15-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 01:46 PM
14LSSport
Driver

CJITTY,

They do look good with the spacers. Still undecided about buying spacers or not?

These guys below make some good ones:

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

I am interested in buying Hub Centric billet wheel adapters for a 2014 Lexus LS 460 F-sport;
One set of 15 mm (0.590551 inch) Front, so moves tire outwards a little over 1/2 inch in Front
One set of 20 mm (0.787402 inch) Rear, so moves tire outwards a little over 3/4 inch in Rear

Motorsport Tech
10 Greg Street, Suite 112
Sparks, Nevada 89431

(775) 351-1000

It usually takes me a couple days to build the product
The cost would be $285 shipped for all 4pcs with hardware

Last edited by 14LSSport; 01-14-14 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 04:28 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by 14LSSport
CJITTY,

They do look good with the spacers. Still undecided about buying spacers or not?

These guys below make some good ones:

I am interested in buying Hub Centric billet wheel adapters for a 2014 Lexus LS 460 F-sport;
One set of 15 mm (0.590551 inch) Front, so moves tire outwards a little over 1/2 inch in Front
One set of 20 mm (0.787402 inch) Rear, so moves tire outwards a little over 3/4 inch in Rear

Motorsport Tech
Sparks, Nevada 89431

(775) 351-1000

It usually takes me a couple days to build the product
The cost would be $285 shipped for all 4pcs with hardware
I paid far less than that with akata spacers and they held up great and no vibrations at all. I believe both front and rear sets were less than $150 iirc. If I get rid of my 22s, I will be putting them back on with my 19s

Last edited by CJITTY; 01-14-14 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 07:00 AM
14LSSport
Driver

CJITTY,

Have you read this thread about Akata?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...m-spacers.html
Old 01-15-14, 10:13 AM
CJITTY

CJITTY,

Have you read this thread about Akata?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...m-spacers.html
Yes I have..which is exactly why they no longer make 10mm bolt on. There are people with more expensive spacers that had issues too. It all comes down to proper installation and proper torque. Also avoiding the use of airgun. You MUST check torque for several miles after install to insure proper settling of new metal on old metal. Even new wheels should be checked the first 25 to 50 miles after install. Don't feed into the hype..that did happen but it is an old thread and there have been changes. I haven't heard of another issue with anyone that has had these properly installed. I have no complaints
Old 01-15-14, 03:39 PM
14LSSport
Driver

CJITTY and anyone else that is an experienced user of wheel spacers,

Spacers will ruin the scrub radius and greatly effect the handling for the worse
Has this been an issue for you?

It will also cause premature wheel bearing failure and if you have a warranty they will not cover any components that will be effected by it.

Kinda a PIA for me to torque and re-torque all the time. Cause you have to take the wheels off and Re-torque the Spacer to the Hub. I don't have access to a lift without maybe paying someone. I guess I could do one tire at a time in my garage with a jack. How often do you have to check? Is it like check several times during the first 200 miles, then check at tire rotation time only?

Thanks,
Old 01-15-14, 04:27 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Congratulations on your '14 LS!

I'm no expert and am only going off memory from when I originally read about CJITTY's experience with the spacers. The spacers are attached to the studs on the wheel spindle, and because those studs are already "broken-in"/stretched, this is not what requires frequent retorquing. It's the wheel-to-spacer connection that needs retorquing until the new studs (on the spacer) are able to hold the lug nut preload. So, no jacking required (again, if I remember correctly).
Old 01-15-14, 06:32 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by caha14
Congratulations on your '14 LS!

I'm no expert and am only going off memory from when I originally read about CJITTY's experience with the spacers. The spacers are attached to the studs on the wheel spindle, and because those studs are already "broken-in"/stretched, this is not what requires frequent retorquing. It's the wheel-to-spacer connection that needs retorquing until the new studs (on the spacer) are able to hold the lug nut preload. So, no jacking required (again, if I remember correctly).
Caha is right on the money. Spacer to hub torqued at 103 ft lbs and wheel to spacer studs at 103. Keep checking torque on wheels to spacers the first 50 miles or so. I had to re torque 2 or 3 times. After that, I drove on several road trips and always check out of habit and they checked perfect with no retorque needed.
Old 01-15-14, 06:36 PM
CJITTY

CJITTY and anyone else that is an experienced user of wheel spacers,

Kinda a PIA for me to torque and re-torque all the time. Cause you have to take the wheels off and Re-torque the Spacer to the Hub. I don't have access to a lift without maybe paying someone. I guess I could do one tire at a time in my garage with a jack. How often do you have to check? Is it like check several times during the first 200 miles, then check at tire rotation time only?

Thanks,
I have a digital torque wrench and i just checked them the first few days when i got to work and got home. Took less than 3 minutes. Bottom line..no issue with my spacers whatsoever. The spacers are hub centric and the lip on the center bore section of the spacers bears the load of the wheel just like our oem hub does. Not nearly as much pressure on the studs as a non hubcentric spacer. There are people who track their cars (not LS' s) and don't have issues. Just a suggestion. .you never go in for warranty work with an aftermarket component that is at ground zero of your issue. If I have a bearing issue, the car will be showing up oem at dealer. As of late, I have been running my newer 22s which have better offsets than my previous 22s which I ran spacers with in addition to my 19s when they were on. In the past few months, I have not been using them but will when I run stocks again.

Last edited by CJITTY; 01-15-14 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 11:12 AM
14LSSport
Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I have a digital torque wrench and i just checked them the first few days when i got to work and got home. Took less than 3 minutes. Bottom line..no issue with my spacers whatsoever. The spacers are hub centric and the lip on the center bore section of the spacers bears the load of the wheel just like our oem hub does. Not nearly as much pressure on the studs as a non hubcentric spacer. There are people who track their cars (not LS' s) and don't have issues. Just a suggestion. .you never go in for warranty work with an aftermarket component that is at ground zero of your issue. If I have a bearing issue, the car will be showing up oem at dealer. As of late, I have been running my newer 22s which have better offsets than my previous 22s which I ran spacers with in addition to my 19s when they were on. In the past few months, I have not been using them but will when I run stocks again.
Thanks for all the info. Checking the lugnuts on the wheel is not a problem for me. that's easy enough. I got a couple of torque wrenches laying around that I use on my Ford Lightning when I go to the track.

Update, I think I'll just order a new set of wheels. Work Series VS-XX, White face, polished lip.
20 x 9 fronts, 20 x 10 rears.

[http://www.workwheelsusa.com/product...ry=26&wheel=75

Old 01-16-14, 04:13 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think necessarily the spacer will ruin your wheel barings anymore than getting a set of wheels that aren't the same spec as stock. If you get a set of wheels with lower offset it'll technically put the same extra stress on the wheel baring.
Old 03-02-15, 12:23 AM
14LSSport
Driver

[QUOTECJITTY.[/QUOTE]

My spacers from motorsport-tech have been sitting around at my house for over a year. My car has been in NC with me and I have 2200 miles on it. I mostly drive my 07 F-250 Outlaw truck daily. Dealer in GA has been bugging me to bring it in for first oil change and it was coming up on a year since I bought the car. I finally made a trip back to Augusta to have oil changed.

Afterwards I stopped by my friends garage and to put spacers on.

Guess what, we took off the passenger side wheels and tried to put the adapters on the car hubs and they were slightly off on the bolt pattern where I couldn't bolt the spacer to the hub. WTF

We tried the spacers on the wheels and they fit fine. So now I have to send the spacers back and get Lenny(owner) to make me some that will fit my hub correctly. He has the studs to wheel bolt pattern correct. Damn my luck,

I sent Lenny the owner an email.

Motorsport Tech
Sparks, Nevada 89431

(775) 351-1000

Quick Reply: Show me pics with spacers....