LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS Oil Chanage Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 09:51 PM
kclark2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Oil Chanage Intervals

As I understand it, Lexus is sticking with the 5,000 mile oil change interval for the 2010 LS 460 but newer LS 460s were increased to 10,000. I was in for service and asked the adviser why the 2010 was still at 5,000. He denied any LS had a 10,000 mile interval and commented "...but you could take a chance..." Then the Service Manager wandered by. I asked him the same question and he responded that in the newer models you could actually go to 14,000 but the recommendation was 10,000. I asked the Manager why the same engine in the 2010 LS was still at 5,000. He said it was not the same engine because the "internals...the bearings" were different. There might be warranty issues with a longer interval.
About that time I heard the Benny Hill music. Is the 2010 LS460 engine the same as later models...and why the 5,000 mile oil change interval? Emissions certification?
Old 12-14-13, 10:26 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

You have to keep in mind that service writers, mechanics and technicians are not engineers. When you corner them they will guess rather then say they don't really know. These people do not read the white technical papers and have no reason to do so.
I believe a moderator confirmed it with Toyota corporate that 10k mile interval with synthetic oil is retroactive.
Old 12-15-13, 02:50 AM
hjones4841
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local dealer told me 5,000 on my 2011 LS.
Old 12-15-13, 07:52 PM
lexgolf
Rookie

Default Toyota's official policy re Sysnthetic oil change intervals

It seems Lexus service reps / managers are all over the place when you ask them if the synthetic oil change interval is 5K or 10K miles. The LS460 still requires 5K miles oil changes, whether synthetic or dyno.

Here is the official Toyota policy, from their website:

What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?

Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE & 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)

Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.

In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated. The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.

If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.

*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.
Old 12-16-13, 01:07 AM
shamsi34
Driver School Candidate

hi to all i think this depend of the oil in the UAE we have oil for 5000 & 10000 KM
Old 12-16-13, 07:09 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by lexgolf
It seems Lexus service reps / managers are all over the place when you ask them if the synthetic oil change interval is 5K or 10K miles. The LS460 still requires 5K miles oil changes, whether synthetic or dyno.

Here is the official Toyota policy, from their website:

What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?

Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except for the 2TR-FE & 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)

Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.

In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated. The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.

If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.

*The 2TR-FE (4Runner / Tacoma) and the 3UR-FBE (Flex Fuel Tundra / Sequoia) are the exceptions to this new change interval program; these engines have not been approved for the 10,000 mile interval at this time. A 5,000-mile/6-month oil change interval is still required for these vehicles. Also, the Flex Fuel 3UR-FBE requires a 2,500 mile interval when operated on E85.
Interesting, this is consistent with what I was told by my service adviser a while ago but then there was a thread here recently that stated that they retroactively changed the oil changes for 07-09's at 10k miles if synthetic is used and I was just about to call him to verify. Now I am confused again.
Old 12-16-13, 07:24 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Interesting, this is consistent with what I was told by my service adviser a while ago but then there was a thread here recently that stated that they retroactively changed the oil changes for 07-09's at 10k miles if synthetic is used and I was just about to call him to verify. Now I am confused again.
I think we need to get a conformation from corporate. They may have changed it and not updated yet.
Old 12-16-13, 07:50 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Devh
I think we need to get a conformation from corporate. They may have changed it and not updated yet.
I agree. My service adviser just told me their current document still doesn't reflect any different and that only the new LS' have 10k oil changes. He said the RX's did have theirs retroactively changed to 10k miles. If they did in fact change it for the LS', I wonder why dealers don't have the most current information.
Old 12-16-13, 06:36 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

My service advisor had told me that if I used synthetic oil in my 2007 LS460 that I could change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals. Knowing that his verbal statement wasn't worth the paper it wasn't written on, I wrote to Lexus corporate. Here is their response -

Dear Mr. Axxxxxxxxi:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

In response to your inquiry, when the oil used in the vehicle is fully synthetic, the recommended interval for oil changes does increase to 1 year or 10,000 miles. However, we still recommend having the regularly scheduled 5,000 mile or 6 month maintenance service because the technicians will be able to rotate the tires and inspect the vehicle to ensure the vehicle is operating properly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Robert Caldwell

Lexus Customer Satisfaction
The following users liked this post:
twinterer (06-24-20)
Old 12-16-13, 08:06 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
In response to your inquiry, when the oil used in the vehicle is fully synthetic, the recommended interval for oil changes does increase to 1 year or 10,000 miles. However, we still recommend having the regularly scheduled 5,000 mile or 6 month maintenance service because _________ [/b]
Fill in the blank: "It will provide the dealer with more frequent opportunities to siphon money from your bank account."

Anyway, thanks for this info. I am convinced now, that with the 9.1 quart capacity, a 10,000 mile change interval using fully synthetic oil will not be harmful if the vehicle is driven under normal circumstances.
Old 12-16-13, 08:34 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just back from the dealer. Was showed actual missive from Lexus HQ dated 8/2/13. It has a general preamble that talks about full synth and 10k OCIs. A chart follows that details specific models, model years, oil types, and OCIs. For the LS, model year 2014 OCI is 10k for 0W-20 synth; LS model years 2010-2013 are STILL 5k for either 0W-20 synth or 5W-whatever (I didn't pay attention); no data at all for LS model years prior to 2010. The SA looked me in the eye, admitted he can't explain it either, and watched me walk out the door shaking my head. Confusion still reigns...
Old 12-17-13, 05:48 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe
Just back from the dealer. Was showed actual missive from Lexus HQ dated 8/2/13. It has a general preamble that talks about full synth and 10k OCIs. A chart follows that details specific models, model years, oil types, and OCIs. For the LS, model year 2014 OCI is 10k for 0W-20 synth; LS model years 2010-2013 are STILL 5k for either 0W-20 synth or 5W-whatever (I didn't pay attention); no data at all for LS model years prior to 2010. The SA looked me in the eye, admitted he can't explain it either, and watched me walk out the door shaking my head. Confusion still reigns...
This is what I was told also, same applies to the 2nd gen IS as well when they changed to 10k intervals and it was not retroactively applied to earlier years. I just don't understand why they can't figure it out and communicate it to the dealers. So if you ever have an engine issue, what is Lexus going to look at for warranty purposes, the missive that is in writing at the dealer or an email from a customer satisfaction employee. They need to figure this out and get an update to the dealers.
Old 12-17-13, 04:30 PM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you for this thread.
Old 12-17-13, 08:13 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be great if owners who go over 5K miles post the condition of their oil at 7.5K miles or 10K miles. I'm wondering how the 0w-20 synthetic oil looks at those intervals.
Old 12-17-13, 08:48 PM
lexgolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusManny
It would be great if owners who go over 5K miles post the condition of their oil at 7.5K miles or 10K miles. I'm wondering how the 0w-20 synthetic oil looks at those intervals.
I think the oil will look pristine. I changed my BMW 750 oil at around 14K miles, and it still looked OK.

Modern engines are built to such tight tolerances that oil just lasts a very long time. Toyota has caught up to the world, but those of us with a '12 or earlier have to suffer because of warranty implications.

Quick Reply: LS Oil Chanage Intervals