LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 12:16 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anniversar
Took the car on an extended drive today and incredibly there is still some rattling noise from the front end despite the struts having been replaced. However, it is 80% better and you have to be listening for it to notice. As mentioned before, the ride feels better and different as before I think the struts were not providing sufficient damping as the front end would bob up and down on undulating roads. Now it feels much tighter and well damped.

So the question is what is still causing the residual noise. From all the posts I have read it seems as if it might be control arms. I would have hoped however, the dealer would have spotted this during the original diagnosis of the problem.
It is most likely the control arms making the noise now. I have the same issue as you. The dealer will not replace them for the slight rattle I hear every now and then in cold weather. I had my air struts replaced and like you it was 80-90% of the noise. Still irritating, but the remaining noise is not very noticeable.
Old 01-03-14, 06:09 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thegov3
It is most likely the control arms making the noise now. I have the same issue as you. The dealer will not replace them for the slight rattle I hear every now and then in cold weather. I had my air struts replaced and like you it was 80-90% of the noise. Still irritating, but the remaining noise is not very noticeable.
Yes this sounds identical to my situation and I am being somewhat picky. In my case they just replaced the front struts. Was this the case with your repair also?

I think I will just leave things as they are and see if it gets worse.
Old 01-17-14, 04:23 AM
qpman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The noise in the suspension on the 460 is very annoying. It took numerous trips to the dealer to finally get them to replace the defective rear suspension parts and solve that problem. I have a noise in my left front that increases as the temperature drops. I have been to the service dept so many times with that I have finally given up. The thing that bothers me is that they know there is a problem and are unwilling to address it in a more expedient manner. I am sure they are aware of the problem and know the fix they just don't want to commit that type of money, if they wait long enough the cars will get old and go away, along with the customers.
Old 01-18-14, 07:20 AM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agree this is very annoying. Just come back after a week long business trip where my rental car was a Dodge Challenger. It was amazing how quiet the suspension was over even the roughest roads. It is just not right that my 30,000 mile LS makes more noise.

As reported the new struts have solved most of the rattling over bumps but the noise is still there and is worse when it is cold. I am going to try to work with the dealer and see if they will authorize more work (presumably the control arms)
Old 01-18-14, 11:55 PM
lex460l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just had my upper control arms replaced for that same problem, it was done in north carolina, i live in nyc, so out there it sounded like it was completely gone, by the time i reached home i heard it but def not as loud as i heard it b4, so i take my car to toyota for oil changes, they did the inspection they do and told me theres a split in the rubber in my lower control arms, so im pissed that they didnt notice that out there, because in nyc all of my suspension problems were ignored, hopefully somebody fixes it and the noise goes away completely