LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ls460 90k service

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-13, 10:44 AM
lex460l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ls460 90k service

hey guys i want your advice as im extremely confused, i tried searching this but found nothing for the 460.....

so my 90 k service is approaching, a friend of mine recommended an independent lexus mechanic he's been using for years, he quoted me 650, when i asked him what in included he mentioned a couple of things, what stood out was water pump and spark plugs, i have no idea when the water pump should be replaced, spark plugs according to manual say change every 60k, the dealer i brought the car from says they can easily go 120 but i dont think the original owner changed them at 60. looked up the service manual and it says nothing about water pump or plugs for 90k...if u guys can chime in on that i would appreciate it.

i called bay ridge lexus here in brooklyn they quoted me 1900, i didnt even ask what it included i just said thank u and good bye lol.

spoke to lexus in ct where i brought the car from and hes saying 350

im extremely confused and dont know which route to take
The following users liked this post:
Fausty (01-14-17)
Old 12-03-13, 02:49 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Lexus has given a clear service schedule which should be followed as long as the previous services has been performed. Toyota water pumps are reliable and do not need to be changed until they start weeping coolant so save your money.

What I would personally do for a car approaching 100k miles is a spark plug change and replace the 02 sensors in the header that are used to adjust fuel trim as they drift over time and make the car run rich. I would also consider a radiator flush and call it a day.
Old 12-04-13, 09:35 AM
003ISxeL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil service
Differential fluid ? Due every 30k
air filter(s), cabin filter(s)
Brake flush, Bi annual
If unsure on when plugs were last replaced, replace those as well.
Tire balance?
Alignment?
Coolant change due at 100k, 50k there after
......The cost of these qoutes your received very greatly due to whats included, ask for a break down of there pricing for that service.The dealer that quotes lower service prices usally does that to get you in the door, then tries to upsell additional services once your car is in the shop.
Old 12-04-13, 11:52 AM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this!
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/Sedans.pdf
Old 12-04-13, 12:03 PM
elexusparts
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would not change the waterpump unless it is leaking or making noise. The 90k service menu will vary greatly from dealer to dealer. I would recommend changing Air filters, Engine oil, Transmission fluid,Rear diff. fluid, Coolant, wheel balance. During the service check the vehicle over for leaking waterpump, worn drive belt, brake wear...etc. But i would not replace wear items as maintenance items.
Old 12-04-13, 06:33 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by lieup
thats exaclty what i was looking at, nothing there mentions spark plugs
Old 12-04-13, 06:34 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by elexusparts
I would not change the waterpump unless it is leaking or making noise. The 90k service menu will vary greatly from dealer to dealer. I would recommend changing Air filters, Engine oil, Transmission fluid,Rear diff. fluid, Coolant, wheel balance. During the service check the vehicle over for leaking waterpump, worn drive belt, brake wear...etc. But i would not replace wear items as maintenance items.
shouldnt they, as well as myself just follow what the manual says? if it were to differ from dealer to dealer then clearly its just for the money
Old 12-04-13, 06:36 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
Lexus has given a clear service schedule which should be followed as long as the previous services has been performed. Toyota water pumps are reliable and do not need to be changed until they start weeping coolant so save your money.

What I would personally do for a car approaching 100k miles is a spark plug change and replace the 02 sensors in the header that are used to adjust fuel trim as they drift over time and make the car run rich. I would also consider a radiator flush and call it a day.
the 2007 ls460 if im correct says to change the plugs at 120k, anything newer says 60, whats your experience with them? did you feel or see a major difference?
Old 12-04-13, 06:37 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by elexusparts
thanks i think thats what ill follow
Old 12-10-13, 10:29 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

I just combed through my owner's manual for the 2008 Lexus LS460 and here's the rundown:

Service Notes per Owner's Manual
Engine Oil => Replace every 5K miles.
AC Filter => Replace every 10K miles.
Brake Fluid => Replace every 30K miles.
Engine Air Filter => Replace every 30K miles.
Spark Plugs => Replace every 60K miles required under the terms of the Emissions Control Warranty.
Engine Coolant => Replace at 100K miles; every 50K thereafter.
Transmission Oil => No need to replace since it's a sealed system.

So, at 90K miles you should be replacing the engine air filter, ac filter, brake fluid, engine oil/filter. If the spark plugs weren't changed at 60K, then replace now and then again after 60K miles.

Last edited by LexusManny; 12-11-13 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 06:06 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Manny, are you sure about the timing belt? It is my understanding that the LS460 has a chain which does not require maintenance. Also, see the following thread regarding the change in oil change interval: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...il-change.html
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (06-29-20)
Old 12-11-13, 09:52 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
Manny, are you sure about the timing belt? It is my understanding that the LS460 has a chain which does not require maintenance. Also, see the following thread regarding the change in oil change interval: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...il-change.html
My bad on the timing belt. I just noticed that my 2008 Service Guide says "Replace Timing Belt (SC)", so it doesn't apply to the LS. I removed the timing belt from my list above.

I'm not sure that the Toyota 0w-20 synthetic oil will last 10K miles. My Service Guide says every 5K miles for my 2008 LS460.

I've read the other posts on oil changes and only certain years and models qualify for the 10K mile oil change interval. I spoke with my friend who knows a lot about oils and the oil doesn't look good at 10K miles...maybe it lasts up to 7500 miles.

I'm sticking with the 5K mile oil change interval until I find enough evidence that it can last up to 10K miles.
Old 12-12-13, 01:02 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusManny
I just combed through my owner's manual for the 2008 Lexus LS460 and here's the rundown:

Service Notes per Owner's Manual
Engine Oil => Replace every 5K miles.
AC Filter => Replace every 10K miles.
Brake Fluid => Replace every 30K miles.
Engine Air Filter => Replace every 30K miles.
Spark Plugs => Replace every 60K miles required under the terms of the Emissions Control Warranty.
Engine Coolant => Replace at 100K miles; every 50K thereafter.
Transmission Oil => No need to replace since it's a sealed system.

So, at 90K miles you should be replacing the engine air filter, ac filter, brake fluid, engine oil/filter. If the spark plugs weren't changed at 60K, then replace now and then again after 60K miles.
every person i spoke to at lexus says the plugs can go 120 any reason to do it before that?
Old 12-12-13, 02:37 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by lex460l
every person i spoke to at lexus says the plugs can go 120 any reason to do it before that?
I believe they may have changed the service interval due to the fact that DI causes a little more excessive carbon build up.

Some of the other cars that use DI have noted excessive carbon buildup as well.
Old 12-12-13, 02:40 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by lex460l
the 2007 ls460 if im correct says to change the plugs at 120k, anything newer says 60, whats your experience with them? did you feel or see a major difference?
I have a car that has 20k on the clock at the moment. I will follow the Lexus recommendation because they have a good reason for changing them early. They have no horse in this to make more money by cutting the interval in half.

Quick Reply: ls460 90k service