LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New owner 2011 LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 09:26 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Default New owner 2011 LS 460

I have looked at several examples of this car and I have drew some conclusions which helped me with my purchase.

I stayed away from AWD simply for the fact that more moving parts can be problematic down the road and the increase in weight with a detuned engine was more of a drawback. I also noticed the front end like all typical AWD cars lose a bit of nimbleness. The turning radius in the RWD car is also a bit better.

I also stayed away from the air bag suspension because a few cars I looked at had the front struts replaced prematurely. Also I really could not tell the difference between the two suspension systems so it wasn't a deal breaker and I probably saved more unnecessary weight in the process.

The difference in power and response is noticeable across the entire power band.

Everyone has their reasons for going with the AWD and they may be valid, I may have over looked quiet a bit from my test drives compared to actual ownership but these were my impressions for the limited time I had with each example and I have driven at least seven most of which were AWD with the air.

I'm well aware this is not a sports vehicle but I do think there is a big enough difference in the driver feel that is appreciable. I'm coming from a 2007 BMW 525i which was problematic so this is a nice reliable upgrade.

Last edited by Devh; 12-03-13 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-02-13, 11:05 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Always a good thing to do your homework, welcome and congrats on the new LS!
Old 12-02-13, 12:09 PM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the LS family!!!!
Old 12-02-13, 01:47 PM
Devh
Racer

Thanks for the warm welcome. It was hell trying to sell my BMW because nobody wanted it even though I was selling it cheap because it's obvious that anyone who wishes to purchase the car at 90k miles without a warranty is a ticking time bomb of financial ruin. I'm done with German cars and fake prestige knowing that cars of this sort have more drama built in them then any formula one race.

I'm a car guy that does all of my own work because I don't trust anyone unless it's absolutely necessary for warranty work. My rational was validated when I completed the 20k mile service and found that the oil filter used was shorter then the correct part number. Based on the service records the oil was changed by Lexus of Chery hill at 16k miles.

Last edited by Devh; 12-02-13 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 02:55 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. The LS is pretty much bullet proof. My experience with my Lexus dealer has been excellent. They always take care of my car and I have no problems trusting them. All services and a few recalls were performed by them, and my car has been problem free since I bought it new. Overtime you might want to be driving something more 'fun' but the good news is the LS-460 has one of the lowest costs of ownership, it is a very well engineered and built car.
Old 12-02-13, 03:23 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Welcome and congrats on the purchase. The LS is pretty much bullet proof. My experience with my Lexus dealer has been excellent. They always take care of my car and I have no problems trusting them. All services and a few recalls were performed by them, and my car has been problem free since I bought it new. Overtime you might want to be driving something more 'fun' but the good news is the LS-460 has one of the lowest costs of ownership, it is a very well engineered and built car.
As far as a little more fun this is my other car.

My family has been with Toyota for a long time and it was a great experience to see what else is out there and come running back to appreciate what Toyota brings to the table. The MR2 Spyder doesn't get much press but it's an engineering marvel weighing only 200lb more then a Lotus Elise yet it's made out of stamped steel and is quiet safe. I have swapped the engine to the more powerful 2ZZGE and it's as fast as it's more expensive rivals without turbos and will get 40mpg highway in 6th gear.

I like engineering marvels and truly believe the LS series of cars are built right. European cars like to push technology but I found most of the systems to be redundant and over engineered when they don't have to. I'm thrilled to be returning to a dipstick to check oil then some known malfunctioning oil pan sensor.

Last edited by Devh; 12-02-13 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 08:04 PM
amit1947
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might pull the trigger on a 2010 ls460 cpo this week. That's interesting that you're coming from a 525i. I have a 535i e60. What's your impression so far comparing it to your ls460?
Old 12-02-13, 09:14 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by amit1947
I might pull the trigger on a 2010 ls460 cpo this week. That's interesting that you're coming from a 525i. I have a 535i e60. What's your impression so far comparing it to your ls460?
I can tell you first hand that my E60 was a better drivers car. It felt a more connected with the steering and the inline 6 had a smooth linear power band. The major disappointment with the E60 was the excessive vibration at idle and the jerkiness of the ZF transmission. I test drove the new 5 series base in May and it was a major disappointment. The four cylinder turbo engine although had more power then my inline 6, all of the power was up top and completely unusable. Electro steering killed that nice BMW ride and the interior felt like I was in a Honda. nothing against Honda as they have great interiors but at this price point I expected better or at least equal to the E60.

The Lexus on the other hand feels completely different. You know that you are in a bigger car and although the drive is a little more muted then the BMW it doesn't bother you that much because it has other attributes that fill the gap nicely. I think the build quality in the Lexus is better and so are the materials although it maybe a little more subtitle. The Lexus is unequivocally the more comfortable car and you feel so isolated that you will find yourself in disbelief that you are exceeding the speed limit as everything seems slower then it should.

There are some trade-offs for sure but one thing that stands out is reliability. The BMW would keep me up at night worried if the CPO warranty would cover a part. After it went out of warranty I had to replace the eccentric shaft sensor which was $500, ridiculous .
I did the work myself which involved removing the valve cover to reveal what looks like a Swiss clock inside. I have had so many leaks with this car and I found it amazing that it was typical not the exception. I also had to replace the electric water pump which was like wrestling with a octopus.
Even if you decide to work on a BMW to save money in labor the parts are still outrageously expensive and the final straw was not being able to work on my car because it required the BMW tech computer to register something as simple as Battery replacement amongst other things.
The Lexus engine is high tech enough to be relevant and low tech enough to be reliable with proven parts. BMW likes to push engine and electrical technology to save a few MPG and showcase what they can do from an engineering standpoint but I think that's what gets them into trouble.

There is an old debate of what wins races horsepower or torque, I beg to differ its neither, reliability wins every time.

Last edited by Devh; 12-03-13 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-02-13, 09:54 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well put. At times I be wanting something faster more driver orientated but think of the stories and nightmares andcome to my senses. But gtr might not be too far fetched either. I still love my lex besides a few oil changes I have not had any issues beside a little wind noise. Enjoy the prestige.
Old 12-03-13, 06:31 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Lextrician
Well put. At times I be wanting something faster more driver orientated but think of the stories and nightmares andcome to my senses. But gtr might not be too far fetched either. I still love my lex besides a few oil changes I have not had any issues beside a little wind noise. Enjoy the prestige.
If you want something more driver oriented I would break it up and get a current designed Mazda MX5. I had the opportunity to drive one last year and it's a real drivers car that was more fun to drive then a Porsche Boxster or Z4. False prestige and low interest rates traps all of the phonies into being apologists for the shortcomings of their cars. Intellectual honesty is whats lacking in the car industry.
Old 12-05-13, 12:23 PM
hjones4841
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a 2011 LS 460 yesterday with 25K miles. Going from a 2006 Lincoln Town Car to the Lexus is interesting. LS is much quieter and has much more power.

I am waiting on the dealer to call for me to pick it up this afternoon.

My brother has a 2007 LS 460 and has had no problems except for the ML amp going out. Mine does not have the ML - wish it did since I am a hi fi nut - but the base system is usable.

Just joined the forum today to learn more...
Old 12-05-13, 01:12 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by hjones4841
I purchased a 2011 LS 460 yesterday with 25K miles. Going from a 2006 Lincoln Town Car to the Lexus is interesting. LS is much quieter and has much more power.

I am waiting on the dealer to call for me to pick it up this afternoon.

My brother has a 2007 LS 460 and has had no problems except for the ML amp going out. Mine does not have the ML - wish it did since I am a hi fi nut - but the base system is usable.

Just joined the forum today to learn more...

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. It is incredible to see that the 2011 has no TSB recalls as it seems that the car has been thoroughly sorted out except for one thing which is the triangle door cover which is the source of wind noise. There is a nice fix here that solved my problem and I'm planing to add the 2013 upgraded part that should address it better.
Old 12-06-13, 07:20 AM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Devh
I have looked at several examples of this car and I have drew some conclusions which helped me with my purchase.

I stayed away from AWD simply for the fact that more moving parts can be problematic down the road and the increase in weight with a detuned engine was more of a drawback. I also noticed the front end like all typical AWD cars lose a bit of nimbleness. The turning radius in the RWD car is also a bit better.

I also stayed away from the air bag suspension because a few cars I looked at had the front struts replaced prematurely. Also I really could not tell the difference between the two suspension systems so it wasn't a deal breaker and I probably saved more unnecessary weight in the process.

The difference in power and response is noticeable across the entire power band.

Everyone has their reasons for going with the AWD and they may be valid, I may have over looked quiet a bit from my test drives compared to actual ownership but these were my impressions for the limited time I had with each example and I have driven at least seven most of which were AWD with the air.

I'm well aware this is not a sports vehicle but I do think there is a big enough difference in the driver feel that is appreciable. I'm coming from a 2007 BMW 525i which was problematic so this is a nice reliable upgrade.
I've been in the market for a 2010+ SWB or L and reading this is making me rethink being dead set on air suspension. I actually have never test drove a non air car since I seem to think if it rode any different I wouldn't want it. But now thinking of how I'm pretty sure I will own the vehicle for at least 4 years and the amount of mileage I will probably put on it, should I just save myself the head ache and go non-air and no AWD? Such a pain in the *** having to weigh all these options ehh...
Old 12-06-13, 08:20 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by bezee
I've been in the market for a 2010+ SWB or L and reading this is making me rethink being dead set on air suspension. I actually have never test drove a non air car since I seem to think if it rode any different I wouldn't want it. But now thinking of how I'm pretty sure I will own the vehicle for at least 4 years and the amount of mileage I will probably put on it, should I just save myself the head ache and go non-air and no AWD? Such a pain in the *** having to weigh all these options ehh...
The air suspension in the LS is a joke. I think the only reason for it's existence is to be competitive with the industry when you compare cars. I'm extremely sensitive to suspension changes and although I'm no suspension engineer I have built my MR2 Spyder from the ground up with a coil over suspension, sway bars, poly bushings and too many other parts to mention. I have also tuned the suspension to get the best out of it.

There is nothing wrong with the LS normal suspension and the air suspension does minimal to the ride quality. If you want to see real changes you will need to upgrade the struts and sway bars to take care of the body roll. The LS is not a sports car, or even a sporty luxury car however it handles pretty good but it's limited by the seats because it does not hold you in.

The only electronic suspension system I thought made a tremendous difference was BMW active suspension where it was all sway bar controlled and you could actually feel it resist body roll. Unfortunately for BMW that system was unreliable.
I say test drive them both like I did and draw your own conclusions. I felt absolutely nothing.

Last edited by Devh; 12-06-13 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-06-13, 03:58 PM
hjones4841
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Welcome and congrats on your purchase. It is incredible to see that the 2011 has no TSB recalls as it seems that the car has been thoroughly sorted out except for one thing which is the triangle door cover which is the source of wind noise. There is a nice fix here that solved my problem and I'm planing to add the 2013 upgraded part that should address it better.
Got the car late yesterday and am all smiles. I now understand why there are so many Lexus fans.

Now if I can only remember what controls do what! No owner's manual - dealer has one on order for me.

Quick Reply: New owner 2011 LS 460