LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

clicking noise from front left wheel . HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 03:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default clicking noise from front left wheel . HELP !!

I have had this intermittent clicking noise from the front left wheels. It sounds almost like a rock wedged in the tread but its not. I checked and the tire is clean. I inspected as much as I can see but see nothing abnormal. Any clue what the deal is???

I stared having the noise right after having the front left tire replaced and it seems to happen when the brakes are hot. I don't hear it in the morning or if I let the car cool down and drive it an hour or two later. My brakes are original rotors at 74K miles and the pads are probably in the 45K range . Not sure what the deal is but it drives me crazy when I can hear with the windows down ( I live in AZ its still in the 70s). I had an issue like this with my GS350 but cant remember what fixed it or what the issue was .
Old 12-04-13, 09:41 AM
NickC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's possible that it could be a bad wheel bearing. I noticed clicking noises coming from my front passenger tire with the window down. The only way I heard it though was if I was driving about 10-15 MPH and it echoed off of a solid object (i.e. driving past a wall or Jersey wall). Eventually I started to hear a warbling sound at high speeds. I would suggest bringing it in and have them check the wheel bearing. It wouldn't hurt...
Old 12-04-13, 10:36 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped off my car because of a clicking noise too. But it only happened when I turned my wheel. I thought they were my control arms but I got both upper and lower replaced. They just called me the noise was as NickC said, a bad wheel bearing.
Old 12-04-13, 11:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I took it in and they removed the wheel and checked it all out and found nothing BUT the noise went away. It started after I had a tire mounted so I wonder if there was just a foreign object wedged that became unwedged when they looked around.
Old 12-04-13, 11:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The research I did usually shows that this ticking is the sign of a bad bearing. I am glad mine was not. So far so good. Thanks for your responses
Old 12-09-13, 04:20 PM
NickC
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear that it wasn't a bearing. Luckily, my car was still under the Certified pre-owned warranty when it went bad so it was covered. I must have been real lucky because when the dealer changed out the front passenger side, they checked the front driver side as well and found that it was going bad. That one was covered under warranty and changed also.
Old 12-09-13, 06:27 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They changed out two of mine as well. Took awhile too because they had to come out and approve the warranty work. Dropped off my car on Tues, didn't get it back til Sat. Total cost was about 1300 bucks. Glad I didn't have to pay out of pocket.
Old 12-09-13, 07:36 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I took it in and they removed the wheel and checked it all out and found nothing BUT the noise went away. It started after I had a tire mounted so I wonder if there was just a foreign object wedged that became unwedged when they looked around.
It sounds like to me the lug nuts were not tightened down well enough when they mounted the wheel.
Old 12-09-13, 08:07 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you guys hear a clicking noise when you press on the brake pedal, when put in reverse? Well, my used to do that but now it went about after I replaced all front and rear pads.
Old 12-09-13, 09:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lieup
Do you guys hear a clicking noise when you press on the brake pedal, when put in reverse? Well, my used to do that but now it went about after I replaced all front and rear pads.
My car does the same thing. I called the SA about it and he told me it was totally fine. I am on the original oem rotors on my car at 75K miles and I think its the second set of pads. Its about time to drop a fresh set of brakes. My friend Henry hooked me up and gave me a fresh set of front pads and rotors from his LS460L build. Will be mounting those up sooner than later I think
Old 02-01-15, 10:12 AM
LJBAKER68
Driver School Candidate

Default front left wheel locks up when trying to reverse

Front left wheel locks up when trying to reverse whether in gear or in neutral. I disconnected the ABS bolt and still problem exist. I can drive i forward but once I stop to reverse BAM!! Front left wheel locks up after a about 6in" of rolling in reverse. Also when I did a 2nd visual after pulling out ABS bolt. I discovered that I lost a break bolt. Now NOTE that i can still drive forward but of course I hear the god awful sound of my caliper banging my band new rim. ALSO NOTE i need an alignment still as i just replaced my upper ball joints with camber kit ball joints from Eibach. And I'm positive that the vibration from the alignment imbalance is what caused my bolt to rattle lose. I'm in desperate need of a resolution plzzz n ty. LJ

Last edited by LJBAKER68; 02-01-15 at 10:15 AM. Reason: left out vital info
Old 02-01-15, 10:29 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LJBAKER68
Front left wheel locks up when trying to reverse whether in gear or in neutral. I disconnected the ABS bolt and still problem exist. I can drive i forward but once I stop to reverse BAM!! Front left wheel locks up after a about 6in" of rolling in reverse. Also when I did a 2nd visual after pulling out ABS bolt. I discovered that I lost a break bolt. Now NOTE that i can still drive forward but of course I hear the god awful sound of my caliper banging my band new rim. ALSO NOTE i need an alignment still as i just replaced my upper ball joints with camber kit ball joints from Eibach. And I'm positive that the vibration from the alignment imbalance is what caused my bolt to rattle lose. I'm in desperate need of a resolution plzzz n ty. LJ
I would park the car and not drive it till you get it fixed, youll end up causing more issue to your car or killing someone. What bolt is missing from the brakes? Did you take the pads out of the caliper and inspect them too?
Old 02-01-15, 01:14 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree, take the caliper and pads out and assemble it back and make sure everything is secure
Old 02-01-15, 01:27 PM
LJBAKER68
Driver School Candidate

It is parked n it's the caliper bolt
Old 02-01-15, 03:06 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LJBAKER68
It is parked n it's the caliper bolt
That's a revelation. Missing bolt means that it backed out.

This is probably the reason why the service manual specifies new caliper bolts when you remove the caliper.

Quick Reply: clicking noise from front left wheel . HELP !!