LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Light suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 07:49 AM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Light suspension noise

Not sure if this is normal with the air suspension but over poor city roads at low speed, there is a light rattling noise from the suspension. I think it is the front. Sounds like worn bushings but the car has only done 30,000 miles.

I checked with the dealer at my 30,000 mile service last week. There answer was everything is working as designed.

Does anyone know if this is the sort of early symptoms that would be expected with wear in the control arms?
Old 11-17-13, 10:09 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I just had my controls arms replaced, dealer recommended-after market warranty, but I did not hear a noise like that leading up to the problem. Mine was routine maintence discovered.
Old 11-17-13, 10:31 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

This has been discussed more than a few times on other threads. It's the control arms most likely and hopefully you are under warranty because they are $500 each and there are 8 of them, 4 front/4 rear. I recommend searching the forum prior to posting questions, there really is a ton of information out there already and it will give you some good insight on how to approach the dealership, especially if under warranty
Old 11-18-13, 06:34 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Start your search here......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...fo-thread.html
Old 11-18-13, 07:01 AM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible you may have a leak in the front air strut. I've had my control arms replaced and have the slight rattling as well. Have you had the air strut checked?
Old 11-18-13, 04:20 PM
anniversar
Driver

No I don't think this has been checked. When I took the car in for its 30,000 mile service, I advised that I was concerned about the noise but they did not find anything. I am not convinced however, that they carried out a detailed inspection. I think I will need to be more persistent.
Old 11-20-13, 09:24 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front air strut. Had mine replaced for the exact same symptom at 45K miles. The front was very easy to tell. It made a rattle noise over any crack in the road. Always at low speeds and really bad when it was very cold out. In both front strut cases, I had to turn everything off in the car to hear it, but it was there. It also contributed to a vibration at highways speeds.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-2009-awd.html
Old 11-25-13, 01:37 PM
CJITTY

Read this, could be caliper rattle like I had https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...all-bumps.html
Old 11-25-13, 07:48 PM
lex460l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anniversar
Not sure if this is normal with the air suspension but over poor city roads at low speed, there is a light rattling noise from the suspension. I think it is the front. Sounds like worn bushings but the car has only done 30,000 miles.

I checked with the dealer at my 30,000 mile service last week. There answer was everything is working as designed.

Does anyone know if this is the sort of early symptoms that would be expected with wear in the control arms?
i have the same issue, nobody can seem to find the problem, but what one mechanic did notice is the rubber in my control arms are wearing but that apparently that doesnt suffice replacement according to the dealer
Old 11-28-13, 06:31 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thegov3
Front air strut. Had mine replaced for the exact same symptom at 45K miles. The front was very easy to tell. It made a rattle noise over any crack in the road. Always at low speeds and really bad when it was very cold out. In both front strut cases, I had to turn everything off in the car to hear it, but it was there. It also contributed to a vibration at highways speeds. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-2009-awd.html
+1

Rattling from left rear suspension. Dealer diagnosed as air strut failure. I originally thought it maybe a loose clip or something in the trunk. Only makes noises over bumps...
Old 11-29-13, 12:57 PM
anniversar
Driver

So two possibilities then, the struts are worn or calipers rattling. Mine is not easy to hear and I typically have to turn everything off and then it can be heard as a fairly high frequency rattle over pavement that is undulating where the change in pavement height is frequent but not abrupt. I imagine under this condition the wheels are pattering up and down quite quickly. The noise is a light rattle but definitely not a harsh knock which maybe means it can't be the strut or it would be noisy over large sharp bumps also?

Kbueno - were your front struts showing signs of leakage when it was diagnosed that they needed replacing?

CJITTY - does my sound coincide with your caliper rattle sound now that I have described it in more detail. Is there anything to see if I remove the wheels?
Old 11-29-13, 06:15 PM
CJITTY

I have 22 inch wheels and I could get a pencil and push on the pads to make the rattle..that may not be an option for you but thats what also helped me diagnose my issue

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App