LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front Brake Caliper Bolt Torque Spec

Old 11-14-13, 06:35 PM
mulva68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Caliper Bolt Torque Spec

I have been looking all over the place for this info and I am surprised I can not find it. I am looking for the torque specs for the caliper bolts, they are a 19 mm bolt head. I am assuming around 80 lb/ft? A 2007 LS 460,. By the way does anyone know where I can buy the shop manuals for this care, I am sure they are inexpensive.

Thank You in Advance

Last edited by mulva68; 11-14-13 at 06:40 PM. Reason: nmissing some info
Old 11-14-13, 07:22 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mulva68
I have been looking all over the place for this info and I am surprised I can not find it. I am looking for the torque specs for the caliper bolts, they are a 19 mm bolt head. I am assuming around 80 lb/ft? A 2007 LS 460,. By the way does anyone know where I can buy the shop manuals for this care, I am sure they are inexpensive.

Thank You in Advance

INSTALL FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER ASSEMBLY
(a) Install the front disc brake cylinder assembly with the 2 new bolts.
Torque : 135 Nm (1377 kgf-cm, 100 ft-lbf)

Best to subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com instead of looking for shop manuals.
Old 11-14-13, 07:30 PM
mulva68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgbackes

Thank you for the reply. Are these 2 bolts a torque to yield bolt and must be replaced with new ones?
Old 11-14-13, 07:39 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM Sent…

jeff
Old 11-14-13, 07:54 PM
mulva68
Driver School Candidate

PM Sent…

jeff
Thank you for the info. It definitely does not give a reason why I would want to replace the bolts? Usually there is a note stating that the part must be replaced ie torque to yield type of bolt. I guess I will call Lexus in the morning and hope they have this bolt in stock. I went to that site and signed up, that link you sent me will help to navigate their site. Looks like a good site good call.
Old 11-14-13, 07:57 PM
mulva68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mulva68
Thank you for the info. It definitely does not give a reason why I would want to replace the bolts? Usually there is a note stating that the part must be replaced ie torque to yield type of bolt. I guess I will call Lexus in the morning and hope they have this bolt in stock. I went to that site and signed up, that link you sent me will help to navigate their site. Looks like a good site good call.
Found the diagram and it shows that it is a non reusable part. Good to know!
Old 11-14-13, 08:16 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i doubt its a torque to yield bolt, it might have something to do with the constant heat cycle that those bolts undergo, and the constant heating/cooling could decrease the bolt's strength.
Old 11-15-13, 07:31 AM
mulva68
Driver School Candidate

I called 2 Lexus dealerships this morning and neither dealership has replaced this bolt before nor ordered these bolts. They have replaced rotors and pads, but have reused these bolts. Just thought I would follow up with this thread, thank you for your info.
Old 01-24-15, 03:11 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Caliper bolts

I changed the front rotors due to the annoying "warped disk sensation". The caliper bolts have a red substance on them. My suspicion is the red substance is a thread lock that allows for a lower bolt torque. So I advise everyone to change the bolts after removal and we need to get the exact torque spec. Safety first fellow members.
Old 01-24-15, 04:36 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
I changed the front rotors due to the annoying "warped disk sensation". The caliper bolts have a red substance on them. My suspicion is the red substance is a thread lock that allows for a lower bolt torque. So I advise everyone to change the bolts after removal and we need to get the exact torque spec. Safety first fellow members.
That red substance is thread locker. I bought Toyota flywheel bolts on my other car that came equipped with that stuff and those bolts needs to be replaced because they stretch when they reach their final torque.

I'm willing to bet that the dealer doesn't take a torque wrench to the caliper bolts or the lug nuts yet people think they are the experts on everything Lexus.
Old 01-24-15, 10:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
That red substance is thread locker. I bought Toyota flywheel bolts on my other car that came equipped with that stuff and those bolts needs to be replaced because they stretch when they reach their final torque.

I'm willing to bet that the dealer doesn't take a torque wrench to the caliper bolts or the lug nuts yet people think they are the experts on everything Lexus.
I'll just throw in my worthless .02 cents and go on record that I never replace these bolts....on this car or any other car I've ever owned. Just sayiin'.
Old 01-24-15, 11:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

So I advise everyone to change the bolts after removal and we need to get the exact torque spec. Safety first fellow members.
As per jgbackes..... 100 lb/ft

I just had a look at my alldatadiy.com account and can confirm that number and also that the bolts should be replaced.
Old 01-25-15, 04:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Wow! I've never heard of caliper mounting bolts needing replacement after use. This is a new one on me - I guarantee 95% of the automotive world didn't realize this either - which means there's quite a few 460's driving around with bolts that need replacement.

I'm sure they're probably fine, but I find it interesting they call for them to be replaced.
Old 01-25-15, 05:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Wow! I've never heard of caliper mounting bolts needing replacement after use. This is a new one on me - I guarantee 95% of the automotive world didn't realize this either - which means there's quite a few 460's driving around with bolts that need replacement.

I'm sure they're probably fine, but I find it interesting they call for them to be replaced.
There's no shear force on these bolts as far as I know, which causes me to wonder why they would need replacement. At only 100 lbs/ft of torque, how much stretching is there?

Why don't Wheel lug bolts call for replacement? I looked up several other car forums on this and only BMW and a few others mention replacement and the remainder did not require it.
Old 01-25-15, 06:09 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
There's no shear force on these bolts as far as I know, which causes me to wonder why they would need replacement. At only 100 lbs/ft of torque, how much stretching is there?

Why don't Wheel lug bolts call for replacement? I looked up several other car forums on this and only BMW and a few others mention replacement and the remainder did not require it.
The only thing I can think of is that they are Fixed calipers, not the conventional Floating style of caliper you see on 90% of the cars on the road. Otherwise I must say that I've never replaced those bolts on any car I've ever worked on and I've probably done 2 thousand brake jobs in my lifetime. I will say that red thread lock is a real pain in the *** to loosen, but I still can't see how those bolts can't handle the tightening and loosening sequence of a brake job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Brake Caliper Bolt Torque Spec