LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sat radio question

Old 11-10-13, 04:19 PM
wrisperj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat radio question

When using my Sirius on my 2008 LS 460 the sat goes in and out all the time regardless of the weather, environment etc. what's the fix if any.
Old 11-10-13, 04:45 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by wrisperj
When using my Sirius on my 2008 LS 460 the sat goes in and out all the time regardless of the weather, environment etc. what's the fix if any.
Bad connection with shark fin or cable between fin and head unit..could be bad receiver module also if I had to put money on it

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 11-10-13, 04:53 PM
wrisperj
Driver School Candidate

Default Module

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Bad connection with shark fin or cable between fin and head unit..could be bad receiver module also if I had to put money on it

What does replacing the module entail and is it a warranties item
Old 11-10-13, 05:07 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

My 07 is equipped with XM and I thought the 08s were too?
Old 11-10-13, 06:49 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
My 07 is equipped with XM and I thought the 08s were too?
Sirius and XM merged and are the same company now.
Old 11-10-13, 07:13 PM
CJITTY

What does replacing the module entail and is it a warranties item
If you are under warranty, you should have scheduled this appt already because unless there was prior work done to the car and there is an issue outside of wear and tear, this should be covered. Have you tried refreshing your signal via www.siriusxm.com/refresh

Old 11-10-13, 07:14 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by CJITTY

If you are under warranty, you should have scheduled this appt already because unless there was prior work done to the car and there is an issue outside of wear and tear, this should be covered. Have you tried refreshing your signal via siriusxm.com/refresh

Old 11-11-13, 05:54 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Chuckwagon
Sirius and XM merged and are the same company now.
XM and Sirius share programming and finances but their technology is different. You can't receive XM signals on Sirius equipment and you can't receive Sirius signals on XM equipment. Signals for Sirius come from highly elliptical orbit satellites and signals for XM come from geosynchronous satellites. wrisperj seems to be located in FL and South FL becomes fringe coverage for XM. What he is experiencing my be "as good as it gets" and spending money to replace equipment may prove fruitless. He should start by asking someone in his area, with similar equipment/provider, probably XM, how their reception is. This sort of problem is characterized by dropouts when driving in areas with lots of tall trees or buildings and is mitigated in urban areas by terrestrial repeaters.
Old 11-11-13, 08:09 AM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
XM and Sirius share programming and finances but their technology is different. You can't receive XM signals on Sirius equipment and you can't receive Sirius signals on XM equipment. Signals for Sirius come from highly elliptical orbit satellites and signals for XM come from geosynchronous satellites. wrisperj seems to be located in FL and South FL becomes fringe coverage for XM. What he is experiencing my be "as good as it gets" and spending money to replace equipment may prove fruitless. He should start by asking someone in his area, with similar equipment/provider, probably XM, how their reception is. This sort of problem is characterized by dropouts when driving in areas with lots of tall trees or buildings and is mitigated in urban areas by terrestrial repeaters.
I wasn't commenting on the technology in use, just that since the two companies are now one the name Sirius or XM refers to the same service, Sirius XM. My implication was that it is understandable that wrisperj might call it Sirius even though the tech in the car is XM.
Old 11-11-13, 08:39 AM
CJITTY

My car has XM equipment and I get SiriusXM channels since it is one company and all my channels are different names or different numbers than before the merger, but nobody should be missing out on anything channel wise if they have older XM equipment. I sure don't miss out on anything. I still say doing a signal refresh and if that doesn't work, just go to dealer if under warranty. Any best buy or other stereo shop can help if you are not under warranty (I assume)
Old 11-11-13, 03:04 PM
jmcraney

Sirius/XM has just launched a new satellite, FM-6, and, as I understand it, it will be geosynchronous and deliver both XM and Sirius signals and provide better coverage. So, before you spend any money seeking relief, you should wait until that satellite comes on line to see if your reception is better.
Old 11-12-13, 06:22 AM
CJITTY

Did you refresh the signal via www.siriusxm.com/refresh yet??
Old 11-12-13, 10:54 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

when the signal drops are you in a parking structure, near building, or trees? It only cuts out on me as I back the car into the garage . To be honest I pay for XM every year and maybe use it 2 times a year. I just dont like the fact that my car has a function that doesnt work. So I pay every year
Old 11-19-13, 05:43 PM
wrisperj
Driver School Candidate

Its going to stealership in the morning. It's still under warranty. As for when the signal drops, it all the time. I am lucky if I can make it through two songs. Sometimes it drops for a few seconds and sometimes minutes. I am in south east GA and the problems is the same regardless of where my travels take me, even on i95 on a clear day with no trees in sight.
Old 11-19-13, 06:32 PM
jmcraney

Its going to stealership in the morning. It's still under warranty. As for when the signal drops, it all the time. I am lucky if I can make it through two songs. Sometimes it drops for a few seconds and sometimes minutes. I am in south east GA and the problems is the same regardless of where my travels take me, even on i95 on a clear day with no trees in sight.
Signal coverage for SE GA should be adequate to assure no dropouts. You probably have some sort of equipment problem.

Here is a coverage footprint for XM-4. You can see that SE FL might have a problem but SE GA has just about the same signal strength as Dallas TX. Those are 1dB contour lines.

Last edited by jmcraney; 11-19-13 at 07:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sat radio question