LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS 460 F Sport Brakes

Old 05-16-14, 09:39 PM
LexFather

They are high performance 14.8" Brembo Brakes. They perform differently. Since a few people are having an issue let me see what's up.

Brake dust is normal they usually use higher performance pads. These brakes perform amazingly. I did hear a squeak a couple times and it was going at low speeds cruising with a very unclean car, similar to my Jun BBK on my GSh.

I guess I have a vested interest now lol.
Old 06-10-14, 03:08 PM
KNSBrakes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We supported a local dealer (Raleigh NC) with a set of front Carbotech 1521's for a recurring brake squeal.

Service writer indicated

-Very particular customer
-1521 significantly reduced dust
-No reports of squeal

District service rep is/was aware and I am pretty certain they were warrantied for the customer. If the squeal and/or dust is bothersome you may want to talk to your service rep.

We looked at the OEM pads. Made for Brembo/Lexus by Pagid iirc. Brembo uses Jurid and Ferodo as well. Yours is not the only Brembo equipped car to suffer excessive noise/dust.
Old 06-10-14, 03:48 PM
KNSBrakes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dryrunner
I bought my 2011 LS460 Sport in Sept. Brakes squealed. I bought new pads and rotors and did the job myself. I have done brakes on my Cayenne, GS400, friends cars, etc. I then bedded them in properly. Quiet for 1 week. Then squealing ever since. I don't really mind other people listening to the squeal in traffic as I run the A/C 95% of the time. I also won't mind switching to another company's brake pad if necessary. I DO mind that Lexus hasn't figured this out since 2010. There is an interference or harmonic imbalance somewhere that an engineer, as is his living, should be able to nail down and solve. Lots of auto mfg use Brembo, so why the issue? And yes, I have a life and as an electrical engineer, I don't give my Clients a finished project that blows fuses or relays from time to time. Otherwise, I really love this car. Well, the ML stereo is pretty weak, but I will get that resolved myself.
Many Brembo OEM setup's are noisy and all are dusty. They use good metallic brake pads with lots of carbon to absorb heat and soft rotors for great bite. Euro brakes. No good in the US

Squeal however is very difficult to control with the fixed calipers and aggressive pads. And I am pretty sure Brembo decides on what pads if they are going to put there caliper on it.

When the yahoo in the Nissan Quest raises eyebrows just smile to yourself.

'
Old 06-16-14, 12:17 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Carbotech Pads

Just want to cheme in with my Brembo brake squeal experience for my 13 F-Sport.

The squeal was very obvious on my car, loud and gradually happened almost all the times, maybe 95%. It was not the usual low speed or cold morning occurences. It squealed more and more, louder and louder as it got warm/hot. The noise bothered me so much to the point where I didn't even want to drive the car.

I brought the car into the dealer twice. First time pads were replaced and bedding was done.

I did a lube job on backs of pads and all metal contact pts. No help.

Second time was at a different dealer (March 14). To show you guys how bad the squeal was, the shop manager noticed the noise at his very first press on the brake (within 15 feet). The rest of the drive with me was just to comfirm and to make it back to the Service drop-off, all within the dealer parking lot, and it squealed everytime during. Shop manager told service adviser "it's a go". They proceeded with TSB L-SB-0008-12 and again ordered and replaced pads from Brembo. Took a week. Service tech also did bedding and reported no squeal or noise. Well, it squealed again about a week after. This time maybe about 80% of the times.

Though for my normal street driving, the brake never got faded nor lost any effectiveness. But the squeaking and not being able to drive and enjoy the car that was what made me look at aftermarket pads.

Last month I called and talked to Carbotech and they confirmed their CT1440-1521 does fit my car, which I couldn't get any fitment confirmations from any retailers I asked. So I took a chance and ordered a front pair through one of Carbotech retailers. Took a week to arrive I swabbed the pads myself and here's what I noticed, after 250 miles driving:

1. Virtually the squeal is gone for me. I don't think I heard any. I can't confirm this for anyone's experience though.
2. Dust is reduced to about the same or less than that of the rear, which are non-Brembo and non-squealing
3. The "first bite" is not as dramatic as before with the OEM Brembo. I didn't mind the Brembo's "first bite", and just learned to live with it. Now with Carbotech, the feel is a bit smoother. This might or might not be good for other people who has more aggressive driving style than mine. But I like the change.

BIG NOTE. Although the physical Carbotech pads fit our 13 F-Sport Brembo set up very well, there seem to be an issue for me to clip back on my car's pad wearing sensor. I am attaching a picture for your view; Red pad is Carbotech. Basically, the Carbotech pad is missing a secondary thinner slot for the wearing sensor to clip back onto. I have brought this issue to Carbotech and they are working on meassuring and making this secondary thinner slot, as this moment. Right now, I am running my Carbotech pads without the wearing sensor installed; I just ziptied the sensor safely around the area. I supposed I could dremel the slot or bring the pads to a machine shop for the cut. Still have a while to worry about it. I would advise checking or talking to someone at Carbotech before ordering.

Sorry for the long post guys, and I am not endorsing anyone here. To be honest, I have never bought a $200 brake pad in my life, and I don't know at this moment if there are other pads available out there for our 13+ F-Sport. I don't know if the will squeal again in the future even with these Carbotech pads, but so far I am enjoying the less dust and the squeal-free
Attached Thumbnails 2013 LS 460 F Sport Brakes-pads.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Burgie (09-02-21)
Old 09-18-14, 02:46 PM
sfphilly83
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat as you - the squeal on my car is driving me crazy and after several visits (4 times) to get it fixed, it is just not going to happen.

I'm looking to get out of this car now

Originally Posted by sprtent
Just want to cheme in with my Brembo brake squeal experience for my 13 F-Sport.

The squeal was very obvious on my car, loud and gradually happened almost all the times, maybe 95%. It was not the usual low speed or cold morning occurences. It squealed more and more, louder and louder as it got warm/hot. The noise bothered me so much to the point where I didn't even want to drive the car.

I brought the car into the dealer twice. First time pads were replaced and bedding was done.

I did a lube job on backs of pads and all metal contact pts. No help.

Second time was at a different dealer (March 14). To show you guys how bad the squeal was, the shop manager noticed the noise at his very first press on the brake (within 15 feet). The rest of the drive with me was just to comfirm and to make it back to the Service drop-off, all within the dealer parking lot, and it squealed everytime during. Shop manager told service adviser "it's a go". They proceeded with TSB L-SB-0008-12 and again ordered and replaced pads from Brembo. Took a week. Service tech also did bedding and reported no squeal or noise. Well, it squealed again about a week after. This time maybe about 80% of the times.

Though for my normal street driving, the brake never got faded nor lost any effectiveness. But the squeaking and not being able to drive and enjoy the car that was what made me look at aftermarket pads.

Last month I called and talked to Carbotech and they confirmed their CT1440-1521 does fit my car, which I couldn't get any fitment confirmations from any retailers I asked. So I took a chance and ordered a front pair through one of Carbotech retailers. Took a week to arrive I swabbed the pads myself and here's what I noticed, after 250 miles driving:

1. Virtually the squeal is gone for me. I don't think I heard any. I can't confirm this for anyone's experience though.
2. Dust is reduced to about the same or less than that of the rear, which are non-Brembo and non-squealing
3. The "first bite" is not as dramatic as before with the OEM Brembo. I didn't mind the Brembo's "first bite", and just learned to live with it. Now with Carbotech, the feel is a bit smoother. This might or might not be good for other people who has more aggressive driving style than mine. But I like the change.

BIG NOTE. Although the physical Carbotech pads fit our 13 F-Sport Brembo set up very well, there seem to be an issue for me to clip back on my car's pad wearing sensor. I am attaching a picture for your view; Red pad is Carbotech. Basically, the Carbotech pad is missing a secondary thinner slot for the wearing sensor to clip back onto. I have brought this issue to Carbotech and they are working on meassuring and making this secondary thinner slot, as this moment. Right now, I am running my Carbotech pads without the wearing sensor installed; I just ziptied the sensor safely around the area. I supposed I could dremel the slot or bring the pads to a machine shop for the cut. Still have a while to worry about it. I would advise checking or talking to someone at Carbotech before ordering.

Sorry for the long post guys, and I am not endorsing anyone here. To be honest, I have never bought a $200 brake pad in my life, and I don't know at this moment if there are other pads available out there for our 13+ F-Sport. I don't know if the will squeal again in the future even with these Carbotech pads, but so far I am enjoying the less dust and the squeal-free
Old 10-27-14, 04:01 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry sfphilly83. I have not been back to the forum for a while.

If you still have your LS and still squealing, I highly recommend spending $2-300 on the CarbonTech pads. After 5 months now and my brakes are still silence. I regret didn't do it sooner (well, part of it was because I couldn't get anyone to confirm fitment). A little out-of-pocket money spent to enjoy the car is totally worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Burgie (09-02-21)
Old 10-28-14, 03:43 PM
JG132
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus does have a fix. Check the forums on free sport pads replacement. After several attempts they finally got a pad that won't squeal. After 4000 miles still quiet.

JG 132
Old 04-15-15, 12:56 PM
Axe99
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever find a solution to the Squeak? I have the same car, same problem..
Old 04-16-15, 09:48 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

The updated pads don't squeal, but they still dust like crazy. Front wheels turn black within 500 miles of driving. I bought Power Stop pads, going to try them out to see if the dusting is better.

Amazon.com: Power Stop 16-1440 Z16 Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: Power Stop 16-1440 Z16 Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive

The 2010-12 Sport uses the same Brembo front brakes as the 13-up FSport.

Last edited by Tec80; 04-16-15 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-20-15, 11:30 AM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2011 Sport. I bought the car used. The squeal was not too bad, but I changed the rotors and put new brembo (IOEM) pads on. Squeak came back within 8 days. I then did the TSB fix at the dealer. Squeal got worse right away. Waited 4 months and got the Carbotech street pads and R1 concept premium rotors. So far no noise, and brake modulation is much better. Not as grabby as the brembos.
The slot for the sensor is still to thick. So I tie wrapped behind the calipers.
No more dust on the wheels is icing on the cake.
Old 05-20-15, 05:28 AM
tnncs2005
Driver School Candidate

I bought my F Sport LS460 in Feb 2014 and the squeaking brakes on my car always there since the day I drove it off the dealership, the salesman lied about new brakes noise. Nevertheless, I still bought it simply because it looks so nice and aggressive. Overall it's a great rides, good driving car for long distance trip and looks good too. Wait until you need to change out the brembo pads$$$$$$. I am looking into selling it or trading it in for the 2015 s550 Mercedes Sport. Overall it is a great liable luxury comparing against other competitors. I would definitely recommend other owners to buy the "Skipper carbon Fiber" front lip put on that makes the car looks more appealing.
Old 07-01-15, 10:28 AM
dBassHz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tec80
The updated pads don't squeal, but they still dust like crazy. Front wheels turn black within 500 miles of driving. I bought Power Stop pads, going to try them out to see if the dusting is better.

Amazon.com: Power Stop 16-1440 Z16 Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive

The 2010-12 Sport uses the same Brembo front brakes as the 13-up FSport.
Care to update us on how the power stop pads are working out for you?
Old 07-01-15, 10:44 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Sure!

I installed them on Saturday, have about 300 miles on them so far. I left the old Pagid/Toyota/Brembo pad dust on the front wheels, and my finger marks from handling the wheels are still clearly visible - meaning that the new pads aren't dusting. They stop at least 90-95% as well as the OE dustmakers. And, Zero squeal! I did the bedding-in procedure listed on the Powerstop website and had never worked the brakes that hard before - they are REALLY impressive!

http://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/
Old 07-01-15, 10:51 AM
Tec80
Advanced

The other brake thread has the picture I took during replacement. It was very easy, but had to make sure all 3 pistons on each side are fully retracted before putting the new pad in.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-repair-3.html
Old 07-01-15, 10:55 AM
Tec80
Advanced

I also put the Akebonos on the other LS460AWD, and they made a huge difference in feel/modulation to the point where my Wife said "wow, these feel 100% better - what did you do?". I did remove the extra pair of pad shims that I found in there, which were installed by the same Lexus dealer in St. Louis that left the intake clamp loose at the throttle body.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 LS 460 F Sport Brakes