LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking of an 07 or an 08 LS460 ... looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 02:35 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thinking of an 07 or an 08 LS460 ... looking for feedback

Hi everyone,

About a year and a half ago I happily took delivery of a very low-mileage 2008 ISF and have been enjoying it ever since. However, in that time span, I've gotten married and now I am about a month away from welcoming newborn into this world. So needless to say, priorities have changed.

For one, having the extra space would not be a bad thing. While myself and my wife fit perfectly into the front bucket seats, the rear legroom of the F is far from plentiful. Also, putting an infant seat in the back basically renders the front seat useless. But it's not all about space. We live in the city, and realistically, the kiddo won't be in a car that often. The bigger "issue" is that I find the F to be sometimes stressful to drive. My commute is 60 miles round trip 98% of which is on the expressway. The bad part is I am either stuck in the left lane behind someone going 55 or on the way home I usually hit stop-and-go traffic for about 20 minutes. So while the F is a lot of fun to drive, I feel a constant need to to be going faster than 55 when the road is open, or just dread the stop-and-go. The car feels like it wants to be driven at 80!

And that brings me to the LS. I've had an opportunity to drive both the AWD and the RWD 2012 models, each for a few days in a row and loved both of them. Much more of a relaxed drive. You feel very much removed from the outside elements. No worrying about people going slow or fast, no worrying about the uneven pavement. Just sit back, cruise to work, and cruise back home. So recently I've started thinking about the possibility of getting rid of the F and picking up a 2007 or a 2008 460 with under 60k miles and driving that for maybe 3-4 years. From the looks of it, these can be head for high 20s, which is quite reasonable. That coupled with the likelihood that the car's value shouldn't plummet like a rock makes it all that much more attractive.

So my question after all this is how reliable are these cars at that age with that many miles. Now before everyone says "it's a Toyota and will go 200k miles," I've owned a Toyota in one form or another for the past 16 years. So I am well aware that these cars can be bullet proof. However, my worry has more to do with driving 15k miles a year and being out of warranty. With my F, I purchased an extended Lexus Platinum warranty up to 8 years/100k miles from the date of purchase, and that's put any worries of a transmission/engine/big ticket item going out to rest. But with an out of warranty car, I would have to explore other options. So before I do go looking for an extended warranty, what is the likelihood that I would spend $1k, $2k, $5k, $10k in repairs of the LS over the 50,000-100,000 mile life span. I have a feeling I know the answer to this already, but it would be nice to hear some confirmation from actual owners. Also would be nice to know what are some of the more common issues on the 07s or 08s that I need to be concerned with.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Y
Old 09-03-13, 02:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a GS350 and traded up to the LS when my little ones came along. Best decision I ever made. So much more car, better comfort, plenty of power, self closing doors so you dont need to slam the door when baby is in back sleeping, and road noise insulation on par with a Rolls Royce Phantom...literally. On top of that add the reliability and Lexus service quality and you have a no brainer situation
Old 09-03-13, 04:25 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Hi everyone,

About a year and a half ago I happily took delivery of a very low-mileage 2008 ISF and have been enjoying it ever since. However, in that time span, I've gotten married and now I am about a month away from welcoming newborn into this world. So needless to say, priorities have changed.

For one, having the extra space would not be a bad thing. While myself and my wife fit perfectly into the front bucket seats, the rear legroom of the F is far from plentiful. Also, putting an infant seat in the back basically renders the front seat useless. But it's not all about space. We live in the city, and realistically, the kiddo won't be in a car that often. The bigger "issue" is that I find the F to be sometimes stressful to drive. My commute is 60 miles round trip 98% of which is on the expressway. The bad part is I am either stuck in the left lane behind someone going 55 or on the way home I usually hit stop-and-go traffic for about 20 minutes. So while the F is a lot of fun to drive, I feel a constant need to to be going faster than 55 when the road is open, or just dread the stop-and-go. The car feels like it wants to be driven at 80!

And that brings me to the LS. I've had an opportunity to drive both the AWD and the RWD 2012 models, each for a few days in a row and loved both of them. Much more of a relaxed drive. You feel very much removed from the outside elements. No worrying about people going slow or fast, no worrying about the uneven pavement. Just sit back, cruise to work, and cruise back home. So recently I've started thinking about the possibility of getting rid of the F and picking up a 2007 or a 2008 460 with under 60k miles and driving that for maybe 3-4 years. From the looks of it, these can be head for high 20s, which is quite reasonable. That coupled with the likelihood that the car's value shouldn't plummet like a rock makes it all that much more attractive.

So my question after all this is how reliable are these cars at that age with that many miles. Now before everyone says "it's a Toyota and will go 200k miles," I've owned a Toyota in one form or another for the past 16 years. So I am well aware that these cars can be bullet proof. However, my worry has more to do with driving 15k miles a year and being out of warranty. With my F, I purchased an extended Lexus Platinum warranty up to 8 years/100k miles from the date of purchase, and that's put any worries of a transmission/engine/big ticket item going out to rest. But with an out of warranty car, I would have to explore other options. So before I do go looking for an extended warranty, what is the likelihood that I would spend $1k, $2k, $5k, $10k in repairs of the LS over the 50,000-100,000 mile life span. I have a feeling I know the answer to this already, but it would be nice to hear some confirmation from actual owners. Also would be nice to know what are some of the more common issues on the 07s or 08s that I need to be concerned with.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Y
Please review all of these threads..lots of info in here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...fo-thread.html

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 09-03-13, 07:05 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kids = minivan. Sorry. At least you can look at Siennas...
Old 09-03-13, 09:19 PM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by i8abmr
i had a gs350 and traded up to the ls when my little ones came along. Best decision i ever made. So much more car, better comfort, plenty of power, self closing doors so you dont need to slam the door when baby is in back sleeping, and road noise insulation on par with a rolls royce phantom...literally. On top of that add the reliability and lexus service quality and you have a no brainer situation
+1,,,,,,,,,,,GS 300 AWD w/123K mi was replaced 8/30 with a 07 LS 460 SWB 75K. Baby arrived 9/1 Do it, you will love it. May take a couple days but you will !

Last edited by Chaos236; 09-09-13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 01:12 AM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 07 for 27K OTD. For the price, and comfort and space you won't be disappointed. As far as prices go, I always suggest that you find a trustworthy car shop after the warranty is up and repairs and oil changes won't be so pricey.
Also, your worries about big ticket items apply to any car you buy. You can always get an extended warranty through a third party. I'm not going to say it's never going to happen but it is unlikely that a big ticket item will go out even through 200K miles. I've searched the LS forum here and I don't find many threads about transmissions or engines breaking.
Old 09-04-13, 04:14 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Some quick numbers a friend of mine just gave me since I was also curious about my next move:

Manheim Internet MMR pricing (high/low) averages are as follows..again, these are recent auction averages and not retail prices. Many brokers will charge usually $500 to $1K over auction for their trouble..just a tip if you want to avoid the stealerships

2007 LS460 SWB - 39 sales averaging $23K with 96K miles
2007 LS460 LWB - 11 sales averaging $25K with 91K miles

2008 LS460 SWB - 28 sales averaging $27K with 79K miles
2008 LS460 LWB - 6 sales averaging $27.9 with 92K miles

2009 LS460 SWB - 9 sales averaging $29.5 with 55K miles
2009 LS460 LWB - 24 sales averaging $37.2 with 60K miles

2010 LS460 SWB - 12 sales averaging $36.4 with 40K miles
2010 LS460 LWB - 6 sales averaging $39.6 with 49K miles

2011 LS460 SWB - 6 sales averaging $43.5 with 31K miles
2011 LS460 LWB - 7 sales averaging $47.2 with 25K miles

2012 LS460 SWB - 6 sales averaging $50.5 with 22K miles
2012 LS460 LWB - 8 sales averaging $55.4 with 12K miles

As a bonus:
2009 LS600hL (Hybrid) - 5 sales averaging $41.2 with 62K miles

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 09-04-13, 06:54 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Thank you for the info guys.

I8ABMR: I agree with everything you said and deep down I know it would be a "no brainer" decision. But every time I fire up the F, I get a smile on my face thinking "wow, what a car!"

CJITTY: those numbers look in line with what I've seen the cars being advertised on the web. So I think it really is possible to get an 07/08 with under 60k miles for under 30k. Oh, and thank you for the link to the FAQ section. It certainly helps answer some basic questions which can be especially useful when looking to buy.

Darksands: Can you share how many miles were on the car that you just got? Given that a transmission or an engine on the F costs ridiculous $$$ to replace and the fact that the F was somewhat of a "first" for Lexus, I bought the extended warranty just as a precaution. The additional $2500 or so dollars factored into the overall price of the car didn't make that big of a difference, and it let me sleep at night without worrying about some big repair. To me it was the same as someone willing to pay a premium on a CPO versus a non-CPO car. With the LS, I assume that it's a little different. The parts may not be that expensive and it is a more tried and tested platform. Also, I don't have any qualms about doing minor repairs myself (I've pulled engines and transmissions out of cars in the past). But given that I don't have an infinite amount of time to spend under a car these days, I'd like to get something that I can just drive, take it in for scheduled service, and avoid worrying about potential problems like some MB or Audi owners.

So that's there the possibility of an extended warranty comes in. For example, I've been quoted about $3700 for a 5 year/60k mile warranty from Costco. This would be 5 years from the time the warranty is activated or 60k miles on top of whatever mileage the car has at the time of warranty activation. With the amount of driving I do, I would probably exhaust those 60k miles in about 4 years. So the questions comes down to: What is the likelihood that I can expect to see unscheduled repairs totaling anywhere near $3700 over the next 4 years as the car goes from ~50k miles to about ~100k miles.

Last edited by Ascari_2; 09-04-13 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 02:40 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

What is the likelihood that I can expect to see unscheduled repairs totaling anywhere near $3700 over the next 4 years as the car goes from ~50k miles to about ~100k miles.
The likelihood is low, but if you do need a repair or repairs, I'm sure you know nothing on these cars is cheap to replace. For example two different members have posted that replacing the nav screen was from $11,000 to $13,000.

One thing to consider is buying a slightly newer year LS so that you can buy a Lexus extended warranty (car still has to be under original warranty). Depending on years and mileage, you can buy one at around $2200. Search for threads on dealers who discount the warranty, or PM me.
Old 09-17-13, 07:20 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The likelihood is low, but if you do need a repair or repairs, I'm sure you know nothing on these cars is cheap to replace. For example two different members have posted that replacing the nav screen was from $11,000 to $13,000.

One thing to consider is buying a slightly newer year LS so that you can buy a Lexus extended warranty (car still has to be under original warranty). Depending on years and mileage, you can buy one at around $2200. Search for threads on dealers who discount the warranty, or PM me.
$11,000-$13,000 for a nav screen!???!!!?! you sure there isn't an extra zero there?

BTW I have the Lexus Platinum warranty on my ISF, so I am familiar with those.
Old 09-17-13, 09:23 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

$11,000-$13,000 for a nav screen!???!!!?! you sure there isn't an extra zero there?

BTW I have the Lexus Platinum warranty on my ISF, so I am familiar with those.
Do a search in this forum for nav screen replacement.

Read post 11 in this thread -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ment-cost.html
Old 09-18-13, 06:30 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Wow, that is absolutely insane. The piece of mind that I would have with either a CPO or a Platinum warranty seems like it would be well worth it.

As a side note, what in the world could cost $13k on these NAV units?!? A modern-day $700 top of the line cell phone is capable of doing abundantly more things than that NAV unit.
Old 09-19-13, 02:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe
Kids = minivan. Sorry. At least you can look at Siennas...
LOL I have an LS460 and a 2013 Sienna Limited. You can have it all
Old 09-19-13, 03:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you for the info guys.

I8ABMR: I agree with everything you said and deep down I know it would be a "no brainer" decision. But every time I fire up the F, I get a smile on my face thinking "wow, what a car!"

CJITTY: those numbers look in line with what I've seen the cars being advertised on the web. So I think it really is possible to get an 07/08 with under 60k miles for under 30k. Oh, and thank you for the link to the FAQ section. It certainly helps answer some basic questions which can be especially useful when looking to buy.

Darksands: Can you share how many miles were on the car that you just got? Given that a transmission or an engine on the F costs ridiculous $$$ to replace and the fact that the F was somewhat of a "first" for Lexus, I bought the extended warranty just as a precaution. The additional $2500 or so dollars factored into the overall price of the car didn't make that big of a difference, and it let me sleep at night without worrying about some big repair. To me it was the same as someone willing to pay a premium on a CPO versus a non-CPO car. With the LS, I assume that it's a little different. The parts may not be that expensive and it is a more tried and tested platform. Also, I don't have any qualms about doing minor repairs myself (I've pulled engines and transmissions out of cars in the past). But given that I don't have an infinite amount of time to spend under a car these days, I'd like to get something that I can just drive, take it in for scheduled service, and avoid worrying about potential problems like some MB or Audi owners.

So that's there the possibility of an extended warranty comes in. For example, I've been quoted about $3700 for a 5 year/60k mile warranty from Costco. This would be 5 years from the time the warranty is activated or 60k miles on top of whatever mileage the car has at the time of warranty activation. With the amount of driving I do, I would probably exhaust those 60k miles in about 4 years. So the questions comes down to: What is the likelihood that I can expect to see unscheduled repairs totaling anywhere near $3700 over the next 4 years as the car goes from ~50k miles to about ~100k miles.
LOL I am thinking of going with a used GTR after my LS. If I do not do the GTR I think the ISF is the only other option I would consider for a fast daily driver. Great car, great reliability, and its a Lexus
Old 10-02-13, 06:47 PM
Vprracr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 LS460 with 59000 miles with no issues.

Quick Reply: Thinking of an 07 or an 08 LS460 ... looking for feedback