LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Telios Rims and Opti-Coat

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 09:22 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Telios Rims and Opti-Coat

On my mom's 07 LS when she bought the car we added the Telios rims to it, over the years the rims started to pit and the chrome started to flake off. Lexus was kind enough to replace them at no charge to her. When I got my GS I got PPF applied to it and when I was talking with the installer, I mentioned my mom rims and what she should do. He said take the new rims and clean them often. I went back last week for a wash and he asked about how my mom's rims are doing. He said that she should bring her car down and have them apply opti-coat to them. Will opti-coat protect the rims from flaking?
Old 10-03-13, 10:35 AM
hkochat
Driver

Angry

Originally Posted by puckhead85
On my mom's 07 LS when she bought the car we added the Telios rims to it, over the years the rims started to pit and the chrome started to flake off. Lexus was kind enough to replace them at no charge to her. When I got my GS I got PPF applied to it and when I was talking with the installer, I mentioned my mom rims and what she should do. He said take the new rims and clean them often. I went back last week for a wash and he asked about how my mom's rims are doing. He said that she should bring her car down and have them apply opti-coat to them. Will opti-coat protect the rims from flaking?
Hello,

I have mixed opinion about the opti-coat sealant I have it on my 2013 RX350 and about to apply by the same authorized detail shop on my 2013 LS460. But the shop manager told me that the Opti-coat can slowly come off if we take the vehicle to a car-wash that uses rotating brush. I was not aware of this at the beginning. I was thinking the opti-coat is a permanent sealant. If that is true the rims are also not protected for any prolonged time. According to them with weekly brush assisted car wash Opti-coat can degenerate significantly in two years. So you may have to depend on pressure wash places or self manual washing with smooth sponges and clothes.
Old 10-03-13, 01:19 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hkochat
Hello,

I have mixed opinion about the opti-coat sealant I have it on my 2013 RX350 and about to apply by the same authorized detail shop on my 2013 LS460. But the shop manager told me that the Opti-coat can slowly come off if we take the vehicle to a car-wash that uses rotating brush. I was not aware of this at the beginning. I was thinking the opti-coat is a permanent sealant. If that is true the rims are also not protected for any prolonged time. According to them with weekly brush assisted car wash Opti-coat can degenerate significantly in two years. So you may have to depend on pressure wash places or self manual washing with smooth sponges and clothes.
I'm not really concerned about that as I now started to hand wash it.
Old 10-03-13, 02:26 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good question... Don't know if it will help with flaking chrome, I don't see why not since the chrome is underneath a hard coating. Either way you can't go wrong with Opti coat on your wheels. As long as you're hand washing they should be fine.
Old 10-03-13, 02:35 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't go wrong...
You could also try a metal sealant like the Blackfire one(for metal) or coatings like Sharkhide, Shine Seal(fka Zoop seal) and Everbrite, which I believe can also be used on chrome.
Old 10-03-13, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for sure it's protection, but imho, just physics, that i don't see something as permanent. given enough time and brushing / washing, it will wear the layer down bit by bit

but that can be quite a long time if the cleaning is not aggressive