LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Converting to led turn signals etc what do I need

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 05:51 PM
Mfnheff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to led turn signals etc what do I need

I searched and could find vehicle specific info so here's my question. I'm gonna change my bulbs out to led. Already have bulbs just trying to figure out what I need to do about flashers. Will an led compatible flasher work to keep the flashing sped down and no error codes? Or are resistors the way to go?
And one more thing, disabling drl. Is it as simple as pulling a fuse or is it more involved? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-13, 06:35 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfnheff
I searched and could find vehicle specific info so here's my question. I'm gonna change my bulbs out to led. Already have bulbs just trying to figure out what I need to do about flashers. Will an led compatible flasher work to keep the flashing sped down and no error codes? Or are resistors the way to go?
And one more thing, disabling drl. Is it as simple as pulling a fuse or is it more involved? Thanks in advance!
Dealer can turn off DRL in 07 to 09 models via personal settings menu and you can turn off DRL yourself in 10+ models

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 09-18-13, 06:40 PM
Mfnheff
Driver School Candidate

Cool thanks. Does it have to be lexus only dealer or can toyota do it? I could hit my toyota dealer with a rock. Lexus dealer not so much
Old 09-19-13, 05:03 PM
CJITTY

Cool thanks. Does it have to be lexus only dealer or can toyota do it? I could hit my toyota dealer with a rock. Lexus dealer not so much
If you have a 2007 to 2009..the dealer requires the use of the techstream device to access and change the personal settings. not sure if toyo dealer has one. Be sure to search for the PDF posted in this forum and on google for all the various settings..about 20 or more different configs from seat belt buzzer mute to whether or not your sunroof opens tilt or full when using the walk up feature

Old 09-19-13, 05:43 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the fronts with switch backs to add a cleaner color look to the headlights where they are all white except when i engage my turn signals. I went with the resistor method as that was the easiest way to do it. Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yREIs...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-19-13, 06:02 PM
Mfnheff
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. One of the guys at work has some kind of fancy pants scanner that should be able to access the owner features.
As for the LEDs I went with the led flasher. If nothing else to answer my own question. Ordered some some 13smd lights in amber and white to experiment with colors front and rear. Gonna do the nike light led also, since that looks so clean and badass. And since me and my girl seem to be the youngest 460 owners in our area lol. Gotta make it clean!
Old 09-20-13, 03:58 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by lei_z_ass
I did the fronts with switch backs to add a cleaner color look to the headlights where they are all white except when i engage my turn signals. I went with the resistor method as that was the easiest way to do it. Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yREIs...ature=youtu.be
Link was truncated. .not working

Old 09-20-13, 03:58 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

try this one i re up the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_P8c...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-21-13, 12:10 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by lei_z_ass
Ok..that is dope!!! My question is how does it stay lit with the white led? Didn't realize they would come on like that because normally there is no power to those unless you are actually using the turn signals. So you bought these and plug n play?

Old 09-22-13, 07:44 PM
SSAUDIOcom
Rookie

I just had my local Toyota dealer turn off the DRL's on my 2010 GS350, I would assume they can do the same for my 2009 LS460 now if I need. Lexus dealer is 2.5hrs away from me.
Old 09-23-13, 12:38 AM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Ok..that is dope!!! My question is how does it stay lit with the white led? Didn't realize they would come on like that because normally there is no power to those unless you are actually using the turn signals. So you bought these and plug n play?

I wish my phone didnt take a dump on me when i did this mod, I was going to do a write up but lost all the pics. I actually had to make a custom bulb harness. I used switchback bulb 7443 with a generic wire harness made for that bulb. I tied in the hot side to the nike bulb circuit so it will operate when that bulb is used and tied the blinker circuit to the already there circuit from lexus. But had to do a 6ohm resistor to the blinker circuit to prevent hyper flashing. Some can deal with the hyper flashing but i wanted to remain as close to stock as possible. The main modification was to the bulb harness i bought. Since it was a little bigger i just trimmed and shaved down the harness to fit the bulb socket tightly. I wasnt concerned about an exact fit but more of a vibration free tight fit. Since the bulb is located inside the housing this made me more comfortable knowing that i wont get condensation build up in the headlight housing.

Switchback bulb
http://www.vleds.com/6k-type-2-dual-...na-1-pair.html

Load Resistors
http://www.vleds.com/resistors/turn-...resistors.html

7443 bulb harness
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/7440-7443-T...s-p/aa1020.htm
Old 09-23-13, 02:25 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have a 2007 to 2009..the dealer requires the use of the techstream device to access and change the personal settings. not sure if toyo dealer has one. Be sure to search for the PDF posted in this forum and on google for all the various settings..about 20 or more different configs from seat belt buzzer mute to whether or not your sunroof opens tilt or full when using the walk up feature

I didn't have the dealer turn my dtrl off. It's good to have a teammate with a shop and techstream on his laptop =)
Old 09-24-13, 12:26 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by lbintab
I didn't have the dealer turn my dtrl off. It's good to have a teammate with a shop and techstream on his laptop =)
So, perhaps I am uneducated. I really thought techstream was a proprietary device. Sounds like it is a software emulator. So does this connect to the OBD port under the steering column? If so, maybe I can find tech stream in the torrent world lol. I'm sure I am making this sound much more easy that it is
Old 09-24-13, 11:30 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

So, perhaps I am uneducated. I really thought techstream was a proprietary device. Sounds like it is a software emulator. So does this connect to the OBD port under the steering column? If so, maybe I can find tech stream in the torrent world lol. I'm sure I am making this sound much more easy that it is
You are correct it connects to a laptop via usb to the obdII port. If you ebay techstream they sale the connector with the software from China for less than $50 shipped. But it is the older software as Techstream 2.0 was recently released Had my techstream with my laptop for a while now, just havent played much with it.
Old 09-29-13, 06:19 PM
Mfnheff
Driver School Candidate

So this bootleg techstream...it will allow me to access all the same menus and functions the dealer would get to? I'm looking at them in eBay right now. Pretty cool if that's what it will do. Looks that way. Only bad thing is here the hell do you find something a current os running 32bit? If anyone has experience with the eBay techstream thing give some feedback. If I could buy that and turn of my own drl it's worth $50

Read about this on some toyota forums. Seem to be a pretty cool item. $25 on eBay for the disc and connector, and it's the latest version. I ordered one.

Last edited by Mfnheff; 09-29-13 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Converting to led turn signals etc what do I need