LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best tires for 460?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 06:26 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Best tires for 460?

I bought my 2007 460 a year ago and it had brand new Michelin PIlot Sport A/S Plus tires on it (former owner put them on before selling it). After 15k miles, they are worn out. They ride and handle great but do not last long. What is the best tire for a quiet, comforatable, safe ride that gets good treadwear?

Thanks
Old 09-04-13, 07:22 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
I bought my 2007 460 a year ago and it had brand new Michelin PIlot Sport A/S Plus tires on it (former owner put them on before selling it). After 15k miles, they are worn out. They ride and handle great but do not last long. What is the best tire for a quiet, comforatable, safe ride that gets good treadwear?

Thanks
I have Michelin Energy A/S on mine. It's not a sporty tire and has a good tread wear rating.
It's quiet, rides well and are wearing well...
Old 09-04-13, 08:31 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pilot Super Sports are always a win. Great performance, but actually have a 300 tread wear. Last 2 cars have had it, and see no reason to change.
Old 09-04-13, 09:45 AM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Conti DWS are long-lasting with decent ride. You could get by with the DW (not much S in SC!)
Old 09-04-13, 10:26 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Pilot Super Sports are always a win. Great performance, but actually have a 300 tread wear. Last 2 cars have had it, and see no reason to change.
Have you ever experience any flat-spotting issues with the SS pilots?
Old 09-04-13, 11:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

best tire.....Michelin anything. Just my 2 cents and experience after buying tires for decades
Old 09-04-13, 11:21 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to believe that until this set which only lasted 15k miles. I have Michelins on my other cars that last 50k+ normally.
Old 09-04-13, 11:43 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Have you ever experience any flat-spotting issues with the SS pilots?
None that I've ever seen. Are you referring to cupping? That's an indication poor alignment and not rotating generally. And I've not run into that with the SS tires.

Why do you ask?
Old 09-04-13, 12:46 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

None that I've ever seen. Are you referring to cupping? That's an indication poor alignment and not rotating generally. And I've not run into that with the SS tires.

Why do you ask?
No, i mean : sometimes on certain tires with Over-night parking or parking for a few days create a temporary flat-spot that will drive out after a few miles but also cause vibration until you put a few miles on the car. I have a car I drive once a week or at most once a month and flat-spotting is annoying. Some tires is more sensitive to this than others, I was wondering if you witness any signs of temporary flat-spotting on the Pilot SS?

Thanks
Old 09-04-13, 01:06 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Oh, no, I haven't. My car has sat for weeks and been fine. Now I also make sure to run the tires at about 37 psi cold and have nitrogen in them. Also, I have a weight rating of about 98-99 on them and they are XL or extra load spec tires. So they corner well and the comfy suspension even it out. I also upsize the tires one above factory to give a little more rubber between the rim and curb/road. It's minor, but it's a combination I've found works well and looks great.

Michelin tires overall on 4 different cars I've had with them all have had great results. I just happen to love the overall benefits of the SS tires.
Old 09-04-13, 01:14 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Oh, no, I haven't. My car has sat for weeks and been fine. Now I also make sure to run the tires at about 37 psi cold and have nitrogen in them. Also, I have a weight rating of about 98-99 on them and they are XL or extra load spec tires. So they corner well and the comfy suspension even it out. I also upsize the tires one above factory to give a little more rubber between the rim and curb/road. It's minor, but it's a combination I've found works well and looks great.

Michelin tires overall on 4 different cars I've had with them all have had great results. I just happen to love the overall benefits of the SS tires.
Oh thats great news. i've been eyeing this Tire. Thanks for your input! I'm about to replace all my cars with this tire.. Thanks again
Old 09-04-13, 01:30 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Anytime. Post pics once you get some mounted.
Old 09-04-13, 02:23 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4

No, i mean : sometimes on certain tires with Over-night parking or parking for a few days create a temporary flat-spot that will drive out after a few miles but also cause vibration until you put a few miles on the car. I have a car I drive once a week or at most once a month and flat-spotting is annoying. Some tires is more sensitive to this than others, I was wondering if you witness any signs of temporary flat-spotting on the Pilot SS?

Thanks
Yes..this is annoying as hell..I drive like nascar warm ups left to right right to left in the lane to heat em up faster haha

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 09-04-13, 02:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I've never experienced flat spotting with any Michelin. I did have it really bad with those cheap *** Pirellis. Id pull out of the office and on the way to the freeway my radar detector would shake a little.
Old 09-04-13, 02:42 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Pirellis and Bridgestones are terrible. Actually had the Lexus salesman question me on why I insisted my new car have michelins on it. Asked if I thought a company like Lexus would put bad tires on one of their cars. My response, what are you going to say if in 12 months they are noisy, have issues, or are already needing replacement. Likely I'll be told "they are a wear item and there is nothing they can do. So lets just skip that scenario and put the Michelins on". Mmmmkay? That'd be great... And I'm gonna have to ask you to come in on Saturday

Quick Reply: Best tires for 460?