LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Newbie here: Need input regarding LS460 RWD vs. AWD

Old 07-29-13, 04:03 PM
LouG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newbie here: Need input regarding LS460 RWD vs. AWD

Hello forum.....

After considerable time passed, this newbie took his first test drive this past weekend in a 2010 LS. I know there are a lot of owners here younger than I am (I'm 41), but I must say that after driving this car - I think it's safe to say that I'm hooked. I was originally chasing low mile LS400s, but I'm looking for a vehicle that will provide 10+ years of service, and I'm just not convinced a LS400 is the best choice. I then took a liking to the new 2013 Toyota Avalon, but by the time you price out a Limited, you're knocking on the door of lightly used LS cars. I'm looking to reach just a bit higher for the LS - more car, and even more warranty when bought CPO vs. a new Avalon. BTW - I mention my age simply b/c when sitting in the LS, I just cannot believe I can even consider such a vehicle.

I'm starting to look in the 2010-2011 range - my level of affordability is maxed out at $45K TT&L, which is fine b/c I'm looking for as "base" of a LS as possible (no 460L, no air-suspension, etc). I may wait another year to see if the new facelifted 2013 puts the 2011/2012 years in my range a little more. At any rate, my question concerns RWD vs. AWD. After originally looking at the Mercedes E Class Bluetec (W212) - which is not a 4Matic car - I've become comfortable with the idea of keeping a second set of tires as snow shoes (I live in the northern Chicago burbs, and AWD comes in very handy in the winter). My question is this: with a LS460 AWD and snow tires, I imagine that's the most pristine set-up for winter driving. However, if I were to come across a LS460 that's RWD, would the car be enjoyable (meaning safe and issue-free) if I were to swap tires for the winter, or is AWD really best for this car in the winter?

FWIW - I really love the 2010-2012 cars, and while I can't even consider a new 2013, I'm not at all a fan of the new radio/HVAC "mouse-like" controller that comes on the newer Lexus cars. It looks like I may hopefully gain from those with low-mile cars who feel the need to trade up.

I've been researching the forum as much as possible, and have even gone the route to order past brochures on Ebay for the 2010 and 2011 models, just to try and gain as much model year knowledge as possible. Any comments or ideas concerning what to look for or re: the RWD vs. AWD thought process would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-13, 07:30 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you're in Chicago, so IMO stick with the AWD. at the end of the day, it's what floats your boat. i have a 2013 LS460 AWD and i've enjoyed every mile i've put on her.
Old 07-30-13, 06:51 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must agree with sydtoosic given your location and your location snowy winters i would definetly say go with an AWD (not knocking the RWD but AWD is best suited for all climates). I have a 2008 LS600 and i live in MS where the winters are rarely snowy so i'll rarely get a chance to see what my AWD is really capable of but I must say that i have enjoyed every minute of driving it. I read were you said that you were in the market of a 2010/2011 for under 45k incld TT&L. I dont know if you are willing to travel (thats how i bought mine) but i found 20 LS460's on cars.com that are within your price range with less than 40k miles on them. I hope this helps and good luck to you on finding your LS.

PS
Being bitten by the LS bug and catching its fever doesn' t have a specific age group (i am 29) and i have had the fever since i was about 12 years old.
Old 07-30-13, 07:06 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RodT
I must agree with sydtoosic given your location and your location snowy winters i would definetly say go with an AWD (not knocking the RWD but AWD is best suited for all climates). I have a 2008 LS600 and i live in MS where the winters are rarely snowy so i'll rarely get a chance to see what my AWD is really capable of but I must say that i have enjoyed every minute of driving it. I read were you said that you were in the market of a 2010/2011 for under 45k incld TT&L. I dont know if you are willing to travel (thats how i bought mine) but i found 20 LS460's on cars.com that are within your price range with less than 40k miles on them. I hope this helps and good luck to you on finding your LS.

PS
Being bitten by the LS bug and catching its fever doesn' t have a specific age group (i am 29) and i have had the fever since i was about 12 years old.
i agree with RodT... the LS bug can sneak up and bite you at any age. i got bit early on, my cousin has one and he's 34, my brother has one and he's 36. the car is just gangsta, it's a big boy toy.
Old 07-30-13, 10:29 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Well I have lived west of Chicago and more recently here in Canada when I had my LS430 RWD and with a good set of winter tires I had no real issues (but the car was next to useless in snow without the winter tires).

With both the 2009 and 2011 LS460, the AWD+winter tires makes the car feel like it can go anywhere but I still feel that the winter tires make the biggest difference.

Note that if you do go with the AWD that there is a TSIB (L-SB-0013-12) that addresses a transmission vibration issue that some AWD owners have found annoying.
Old 07-30-13, 01:11 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Many folks may not realize the bennies of an AWD car, but even here in the south it is great for additional traction with all the rain we get here
Old 08-01-13, 11:47 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my opinion (I do a lot of winter driving with 1/2 dozen trips to Canada every winter)
The AWD with snow tires is almost overkill. You can go anywhere at any speed, but the guy in front of you can't.
I would pick RWD with winter tires over AWD with all seasons. My SC430 with Blizzaks could outhandle any SUV in my neighborhood..

(tip: The LS460 doesn't have the ability to store two sets of TPMS codes. The dealer has to reset it every time you change wheels. Buy a set of 18" LS460 wheels from Ebay. Put winter tires on with TPMS, and live with the light 3 months per year)
Old 08-01-13, 12:07 PM
LouG
Rookie

Originally Posted by joeyb
.....tip: The LS460 doesn't have the ability to store two sets of TPMS codes. The dealer has to reset it every time you change wheels. Buy a set of 18" LS460 wheels from Ebay. Put winter tires on with TPMS, and live with the light 3 months per year.....
This is what I've been considering. The LSs that I've seen all come with the base 18" wheels, but I really like the look of the 19" 5 spoke wheels. The idea would be to swap the 19s on from April-November, then swap the 18s on for the winter. But I thought I read via Google search that there is a TPMS reset switch somewhere in the cabin that the driver can reset the PSI to the (then) currently mounted tires. Would this not solve the issue you're mentioning?
Old 08-01-13, 03:05 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, the reset switch under the the dash just sets the target pressure. Example: if the tires are at 40 PSI and you reset, then the warning will go off at 35PSI. It does not relearn a new set of sensors.
Some other Lexus models (like the SC430) have a switch in the glove box for two sets of wheels.