LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Purchase Opinions 07 LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 11:15 AM
JES1680
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase Opinions 07 LS460L

So, my wife's 08 X5 is showing signs of impending engine issues and overall l'm fearfull of the longevity. I've already put an entirely new cooling system in it at 70K. 80K on the X5 now, and she puts around 25 - 30k per year. Don't trust the X5 reliability going forward.

Looking at an 07 LS460L, mint condition loaded but no air suspenstion, 1 owner well cared for 50k miles and I can get it for about $6k under NADA. Wont' be getting an extended waranty. I can also save about $100 a month in payment.

Would you be concerned going to 150k or so on an 07 with no extended waranty?

thanks.
Old 07-30-13, 07:13 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read 'em and weep!
Old 07-31-13, 04:11 AM
LouG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe
Read 'em and weep!
I must have read that thread maybe half a dozen times before you posted it here - and I still don't understand the point of it. Are we to take from it that if you can't expect any kind of rational reliability from a flood car? Duh. IMO, you might be saving $6k under NADA, but you may very well spend that savings on repairs that come up. It all depends on how the car was cared for by the seller. Personally, I hate buying the first year of a new generation car. That's not to say that I've never done it, I just don't like doing it. Even so, that's what warranties are for. Ask yourself, are you buying this car merely b/c it's cheap, or are you buying it b/c you really like the LS. If it's the latter, look for another car. If it's the former, be cautious.
Old 07-31-13, 06:09 AM
JES1680
Driver School Candidate

----Neither is a flood car. Maybe you took my loaded comment about options as flooded? ---
never mind, got a chance to go and read the Read em and weap post and realize you were refering to him.

Essentially I'm debating the reliability of an 07 LS460 vs an 08 X5.
I need to have something my wife can drive reliably into the 150k mile mark.
That's why I'm looking at Lexus, also, she has become enamored with heated seats, steering wheel, and all the flicky flicky that the X5 has so I'm trying to find something with all that + reliability. This LS appears to be well kept, but I can't get a PPI from my local Lexus dealer, they stopped doing them.

So I'm just trying to figure out, do I roll the dice on the X5 with all of the known issues (my indy BMW guy that I've been going to for years has a laundry list of very $$ stuff that he is seeing with the 4.8 motor), or take my chances on an LS. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud here.

Last edited by JES1680; 07-31-13 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-31-13, 06:49 AM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

JES, just to put things in perspective for you. Some people come on this forum because they have a problem with their car and they are looking for some help. That is one of the reasons this forum is here, to help people and offer advice. In the 6+ years that I have been here, that has been a relative handful of people. The vast majority have had my experience, i.e. an absolutely flawless car that has been a joy to own and drive.

Now I say flawless, my '07 has had 3 recalls (fuel rail, idler pulley and valve spring replacement), but they were handled quickly and at no cost by Lexus. If you are looking at an '07 certainly make sure these have either been done or have Lexus do them (I don't believe there is any expiration for having these done). Beyond these recalls, my 61,000 mile LS460 has only been in for routine maintenance.

Keep in mind that 1000's of satisfied LS members don't come on here and start a thread titled My Flawless LS!
Old 07-31-13, 08:02 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
JES, just to put things in perspective for you. Some people come on this forum because they have a problem with their car and they are looking for some help. That is one of the reasons this forum is here, to help people and offer advice. In the 6+ years that I have been here, that has been a relative handful of people. The vast majority have had my experience, i.e. an absolutely flawless car that has been a joy to own and drive.

Now I say flawless, my '07 has had 3 recalls (fuel rail, idler pulley and valve spring replacement), but they were handled quickly and at no cost by Lexus. If you are looking at an '07 certainly make sure these have either been done or have Lexus do them (I don't believe there is any expiration for having these done). Beyond these recalls, my 61,000 mile LS460 has only been in for routine maintenance.

Keep in mind that 1000's of satisfied LS members don't come on here and start a thread titled My Flawless LS!
Post of the month dare i say year on the should i buy or is the LS460 any good!

I agree, my last 460 had 149K and was a great car that i felt it could go beyond 200K easy. No car is perfect, I was not spending time at the dealership knowing my service rep wife and kids by first name. My ownership experience was/has been a very good one. Like I tell all noobs looking do your homework, learn about the cars options and learn what to look for when reviewing the service history. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum about the LS460/600H that will aid you in your quest for the right car.
Old 07-31-13, 09:47 AM
JES1680
Driver School Candidate

Ok, deal is progressing. Showed my wife the car and she really likes it.

Next question.
I can get a waranty through my credit union that is pretty comprehensive, but only goes to 100k miles.
IN YOUR OPINION is it worth it to spend the $$ or do "most" of the issues occur after 100K.

I'm very familiar with BMWs and it would be worth it if this were a 7 series, but what about the LS?

thanks
Old 07-31-13, 11:50 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JES1680
Ok, deal is progressing. Showed my wife the car and she really likes it.

Next question.
I can get a waranty through my credit union that is pretty comprehensive, but only goes to 100k miles.
IN YOUR OPINION is it worth it to spend the $$ or do "most" of the issues occur after 100K.

I'm very familiar with BMWs and it would be worth it if this were a 7 series, but what about the LS?

thanks
I've owned both BMW and Lexus models. On every BMW I always had a warranty, if it went out, the car was sold. With the Lexus, I never bought an extended warranty or cared. Nuff said.
Old 07-31-13, 07:11 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Originally Posted by LouG
It all depends on how the car was cared for by the seller.
Seems like you understood the point completely. Warranties are insurance against the imperfect knowledge used car buyers have of both the car's and the seller's past behavior. Simple, really.
Old 07-31-13, 11:56 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a problematic 08 LS460 that was CPO with 15K when I bought it. I have 103K on it now. Highway miles. If I understand your question about the warranty than I would look at it this way. I would rather spend a few extra dollars per month to get an extended warranty than shell out $$ for each repair.

My warranty claims have been for the costly control arms, hard drive for radio, brake actuator, door seals, drivers seat, rear axle shaft, the valve springs, new transmission, motor mounts, rear spring, rear strut mounts.

I have spent approx $5K in the past month between another set of upper and lower control arms, a new water pump (was leaking), and a denso AC compressor and drier.

I traded a rover due to reliability issues, but have to say this is THE most expensive car to maintain and replace parts on. The vehicle has never left me stranded, wonderful on the highway, but have found it to be a blessing I DID get the CPO/extended warranty.

Hope this will assist you on the warranty issue.
Old 08-02-13, 05:31 PM
JES1680
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again everyone, I did buy the LS. Had my X5 in for an oil change yesterday and in addition to all the other issues they said be ready for brakes and a new steering rack. Uggggg...

So loving the LS and went to a Lexus dealer today to get the service history on the car. WOW what an amazing difference from the BMW / AUDI dealers I'm used to. Whomever designed the SOP and training for Lexus must have come from the hospitality industry. Very nice experience.

I'm sure that this car won't be completely trouble free, but based on what I know it should be a fraction of a fraction of what my German cars are / were..
still thinking about warranty got plenty of time.

Last edited by JES1680; 08-02-13 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-02-13, 06:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Congrats JES, and welcome to the Club!
Old 08-02-13, 06:31 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Congrats!! I'm hoping to join the club this weekend!! Fingers crossed!