LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

problematic ls460l

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 11:33 AM
lex460l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default problematic ls460l

my ls has been giving me alot of problems and im extremely surprised, front suspension, rear suspension, radio, brake actuator, windows go down after i put them up, alot of squeaks in the car, and i bought the extended warranty.....lol.....they are debating on what they want to fix and what they dont.....what i guess surprises me the most is that they sold me a car with all these problems, this has wasted alot of my time and money which sucks cuz this is why i went the lexus route....just venting though
Old 07-23-13, 12:23 PM
dominb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind warranty do you have? Is it Lexus factory warranty?
Old 07-23-13, 12:25 PM
mike171333
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some similar problems with 2009 awd base CPO; brake actuator, bad rotors, wind noise, hail damage/paint work, pitted trim, bad rear air shock, rough shifting and some minor stuff. All fixed under warranty[by my 'local' dealer...purchased in another state..lesson learned]...but so surprised that;
1 it could be 'certified' with all of this
2 So many issues with a lexus
Old 07-23-13, 01:06 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by dominb
What kind warranty do you have? Is it Lexus factory warranty?
yeah, bought the car from lexus as well as the warranty from them.....dissapointment
Old 07-23-13, 01:07 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by mike171333
I had some similar problems with 2009 awd base CPO; brake actuator, bad rotors, wind noise, hail damage/paint work, pitted trim, bad rear air shock, rough shifting and some minor stuff. All fixed under warranty[by my 'local' dealer...purchased in another state..lesson learned]...but so surprised that;
1 it could be 'certified' with all of this
2 So many issues with a lexus
i guess maybe cuz mine isnt a cpo
Old 07-23-13, 04:31 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear, What was wrong w your brake actuator and did you get it fix?
Old 07-23-13, 09:18 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by bluwagun
I'm sorry to hear, What was wrong w your brake actuator and did you get it fix?
that they actually did fix, they said the part alone cost $2900
Old 07-23-13, 09:32 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

I purchased a 08 CPO and I'll probably never buy another one again. I've taken my car into the dealer 6 times for numerous problems: glove compartment, TPMS, rim corrosion, lower control arms, upper control arms, seat warmer/cooler *****. Just recently I got my control arms replaced and I'm still having noise issues. They tried to blame my suspension, except it was doing this when my car was stock. I've had this car for less than a year. Its been 11 month now going on one year next month.
Old 07-24-13, 07:29 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LS460 Problems

Do not mean this to be a nasty comment, but when you buy a five or 6 year old used car, you are getting just that. A used car. You do not know how the previous owner drove the car, even though he may have had all of the service intervals performed. When you buy a new car and drive it yourself you know how the car has been treated. Also, do not believe all of the hype about the CPO inspections. They primarily want to see that it runs okay, everything is properly attached and it is detailed and put on the lot. If you do have CPO problems, your contract tells you what is "excluded". If it is not excluded and the dealer gives you a load of BS about your problem take it up with Lexus Corporate.
Old 07-24-13, 03:08 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by Valley101
Do not mean this to be a nasty comment, but when you buy a five or 6 year old used car, you are getting just that. A used car. You do not know how the previous owner drove the car, even though he may have had all of the service intervals performed. When you buy a new car and drive it yourself you know how the car has been treated. Also, do not believe all of the hype about the CPO inspections. They primarily want to see that it runs okay, everything is properly attached and it is detailed and put on the lot. If you do have CPO problems, your contract tells you what is "excluded". If it is not excluded and the dealer gives you a load of BS about your problem take it up with Lexus Corporate.
well your absolutely right, this has been my 1st used car in a while, mine is 3 years old for the record though. I was trying to be a little more frugal but i think im over it, still doesnt mean that a product a company is backing shouldnt work the way they say it would
Old 07-24-13, 05:55 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sound to me like your car may have been a flood victim. Good luck !
Old 07-24-13, 07:08 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Valley101
Also, do not believe all of the hype about the CPO inspections. They primarily want to see that it runs okay, everything is properly attached and it is detailed and put on the lot. If you do have CPO problems, your contract tells you what is "excluded". If it is not excluded and the dealer gives you a load of BS about your problem take it up with Lexus Corporate.
Yeah, it was my mistake for believing in the hype of a CPO. I figured I was buying a Lexus so I wouldn't have any issues. I knew I wasn't getting a new car but c'mon, 6 trips to the dealer in a year must be a record. Big mistake.

Lexus corporate basically told me I'm ****** out of luck. Hah

Last edited by Grouchy; 07-24-13 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-29-13, 08:26 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jgbackes
Sound to me like your car may have been a flood victim. Good luck !
This.

Except for the famous valve issue on 07-08 models, and some issues with the sound system and sometimes the brakes, LS460's do not tend to have any problems.

This is why they are one of the 2 or 3 most reliable cars in the world.

but when an LS460 has been in a flood/hurricane or a serious accident, then all bets are off on reliability.
Old 07-29-13, 09:17 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whether it is cpo or not I think it is a roll of the dice. it sucks that you are having issues but most likely your car was leased and we all know that when you lease a vehicle you can care less what happens because you wont have for long. the good thing i am hearing is nothing is coming out of your pocket I hope?? but used cars are roll of the dice and eventhough it is a lexus no car is perfect and the problems you are having is not really preventing of driving it but rather troublesome because of the noises you hear and problems... i hope you get it handle because I have yet to take mines to the dealer and im knocking on wood that I do not have to either and i am hoping you enjoy your car once everything gets sorted out.
Old 07-30-13, 08:45 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
This.

Except for the famous valve issue on 07-08 models, and some issues with the sound system and sometimes the brakes, LS460's do not tend to have any problems.

This is why they are one of the 2 or 3 most reliable cars in the world.

but when an LS460 has been in a flood/hurricane or a serious accident, then all bets are off on reliability.
The electrical gremlins the original poster described do raise some questions...

Beyond that, I respectfully beg to differ. Your statement about the LS's reliability is precisely why I bought one. My car is absolutely flawless now, and I love it.

However, when I got it , it was ridden with problems, and all my issues are documented via TSIBs and/or internal technical notes (i.e., all of them are known design and/or manufacturing problems).

A small sample:

1. Control arms - all bad, most of them redesigned
2. Bad air struts
3. Faulty steering rack (a known, albeit less common problem)
4. Bad driveshaft (TSIB in effect) and bad driveshaft angle (a manufacturing defect)

I could go on, but you get the idea...

The main thing I will say (as I have in other threads), though, is that Lexus stepped up like no other manufacturer would, IMO, and to the extent that I am fortunate enough to continue to afford their products, I will be a customer for life. Again, I love my car, but the "aura" around the LS is gone for me.