LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

mpg help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 05:19 PM
lex460l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mpg help

hey guys i've had my ls since march and im astonished that it has the worst mpg i've experienced, i was just curious to know if anybody has experienced using a certain type of motor oil or a certain type of gasoline made a difference, any other tips, feel free to mention them plz
Old 07-14-13, 05:23 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My previous cars in the past were pretty quick and got decent mileage. Since I got the LS, I realized if I drove the same way I did with my previous cars, I would get about 12 mpg at best. So now I gradually coast my car up to speed. I like to compare it to Bowser from Mario Kart. I start off slow but eventually gain momentum. Since upgrading to 22" wheels, my MPG has gone down a bit as well.
Old 07-14-13, 05:35 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by Grouchy
My previous cars in the past were pretty quick and got decent mileage. Since I got the LS, I realized if I drove the same way I did with my previous cars, I would get about 12 mpg at best. So now I gradually coast my car up to speed. I like to compare it to Bowser from Mario Kart. I start off slow but eventually gain momentum. Since upgrading to 22" wheels, my MPG has gone down a bit as well.
thats probably the best ill get in the city too, but normally its 7-9 which is crazy, my escalade did better than that, that had a 6.2 liter v8 with 403 hp and also had awd, i would hate to have to alter my driving habits so much
Old 07-14-13, 05:40 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lex460l
thats probably the best ill get in the city too, but normally its 7-9 which is crazy, my escalade did better than that, that had a 6.2 liter v8 with 403 hp and also had awd, i would hate to have to alter my driving habits so much
Yeah it sucked in the beginning, esp when my last car was a 6speed manual. I usually don't let my rpms get past 2k. That way I get about 17/18 mpg city/hwy.
Old 07-14-13, 05:55 PM
rhedrich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant complain I get 18 in the city and getting 27 on the highway
Old 07-14-13, 07:16 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mpg

It is all about the foot on the accelerator. I drive fairly fast on the open road, but around town and stop and go traffic I take it a little easier. In town only- 19, mixed driving, 23.5, Interstate or anywhere I can use cruise control I easily knock down 27. On one trip from Delaware to Central MA. I hung right around 30. I usually drive 10 to 15 mph above posted limit, except in towns. In Delaware there are local cops in all the small towns just waiting to jump you so they can fill up the city coffers.
Old 07-14-13, 08:54 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by Valley101
It is all about the foot on the accelerator. I drive fairly fast on the open road, but around town and stop and go traffic I take it a little easier. In town only- 19, mixed driving, 23.5, Interstate or anywhere I can use cruise control I easily knock down 27. On one trip from Delaware to Central MA. I hung right around 30. I usually drive 10 to 15 mph above posted limit, except in towns. In Delaware there are local cops in all the small towns just waiting to jump you so they can fill up the city coffers.
anytime i pass through delaware i do the limit lol
Old 07-15-13, 04:45 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Here are some things I suggest to get better MPG.

-Change your driving habit if you drive aggressive.
-Reset your cars ECU so it can learn your driving style vs the previous owner
-Check your tire pressure for correct PSI.
-Check all four tires for uneven tire wear.
-Check your wheel allignment and toe specs. (Either one will eat gas but the bad toe will eat tires quick)
-Check engine air filters
-Check spark plugs (Have they been replaced or is it time)
-(Flame suit on) Use premium gas if not already using it.

Last if you are riding on bigger wheels than OEM your MPG's will drop but not to single digets you should be getting above what you posting if all is in order along with a reserved driving style.
Old 07-15-13, 05:50 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mileage...measure actual or trip computer

just curious as I read this......are these actually measured and computed or are they from the trip computer? I have been wanting to check mine and compare to see if results are similar....or are there those of you who have already done this?

I live rural and little 'city driving'...I get about 22 avg overall and 27-28 on 100% highway[trip computer]. 2009 awd/swb
Mike
Old 07-15-13, 06:52 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I usually get between 18 and 20 mpg around town and at least 27 on the highway. Our city traffic here in Tucson is lighter than places that have regular traffic jams so I may be getting a break there. Freeway limit is 75 and I usually set the cruise to just over 80. My trip computer read-out is consistently about 2 mpg optimistic on the highway and pretty close around town.
Steve
Old 07-15-13, 06:45 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by Tee
Here are some things I suggest to get better MPG.

-Change your driving habit if you drive aggressive.
-Reset your cars ECU so it can learn your driving style vs the previous owner
-Check your tire pressure for correct PSI.
-Check all four tires for uneven tire wear.
-Check your wheel allignment and toe specs. (Either one will eat gas but the bad toe will eat tires quick)
-Check engine air filters
-Check spark plugs (Have they been replaced or is it time)
-(Flame suit on) Use premium gas if not already using it.

Last if you are riding on bigger wheels than OEM your MPG's will drop but not to single digets you should be getting above what you posting if all is in order along with a reserved driving style.
well i want to start off by saying thank you for your suggestions and i will go down the list and hopefully that leads to some more great advice....

i wouldnt say im an aggressive driver but i think doing most of my driving in nyc sometimes leads to some aggressive moments

i will try the ecu reset

the psi seems to be where it should be even though i think the tmps never reads it accurately

all tires are new and have not yet needed to be rotated

i will check the alignment but it seems fine so far

air filters were new

spark plugs im not sure, im also glad you mentioned them, i bought the car used with about 79,000 miles from a lexus dealer, on the service history all it ever showed was that the guy did his oil changes every 5000 miles, at 60,000 miles the service requires they need to be replaced i think. As we speak my car is ironically at lexus and i asked them if they could tell me if i should replace them or not and the service rep said its too much work to check but i can do it just to be safe, which i think is bull****. but i dont know if this guy ever did service at an independent shop and its just not on file, any suggestions?

and i do use premium
Old 07-15-13, 06:51 PM
lex460l
Driver

Originally Posted by mike171333
just curious as I read this......are these actually measured and computed or are they from the trip computer? I have been wanting to check mine and compare to see if results are similar....or are there those of you who have already done this?

I live rural and little 'city driving'...I get about 22 avg overall and 27-28 on 100% highway[trip computer]. 2009 awd/swb
Mike
i havent actually calculated it exact but it looks pretty accurate, im at a quarter tank and i havent driven 200 miles, and i fill up every time and reset the trip computer every time i do, city just kills me completely but on the highway is where this thing shines lol, ive gotten 30 mpg from maryland to nyc
Old 07-15-13, 07:22 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by lex460l
well i want to start off by saying thank you for your suggestions and i will go down the list and hopefully that leads to some more great advice....

i wouldnt say im an aggressive driver but i think doing most of my driving in nyc sometimes leads to some aggressive moments

i will try the ecu reset

the psi seems to be where it should be even though i think the tmps never reads it accurately

all tires are new and have not yet needed to be rotated

i will check the alignment but it seems fine so far

air filters were new

spark plugs im not sure, im also glad you mentioned them, i bought the car used with about 79,000 miles from a lexus dealer, on the service history all it ever showed was that the guy did his oil changes every 5000 miles, at 60,000 miles the service requires they need to be replaced i think. As we speak my car is ironically at lexus and i asked them if they could tell me if i should replace them or not and the service rep said its too much work to check but i can do it just to be safe, which i think is bull****. but i dont know if this guy ever did service at an independent shop and its just not on file, any suggestions?

and i do use premium
Regester yourself and car (VIN #) here

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

You will be able to see your cars entire service history if it has been at a Lexus dealer, I would have the dealer reset the ECU or you can do it by disconnecting the battery for 30 mins. Also if you are sitting in really bad stop in go traffic for long periods I can see you getting low MPG stats.
The following users liked this post:
capt (03-21-17)
Old 07-16-13, 06:47 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

How long does the battery need to be disconnected on the 460 to reset the ECU?

Some cars are just minutes, others are hours.
Old 07-16-13, 08:45 PM
Tee

Please read the post before yours.

Quick Reply: mpg help