LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Parking Assist Sensor Buzzer Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-13, 02:57 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking Assist Sensor Buzzer Question

I have a 2008 LS. The buzzer for my front parking assist sensors is significantly louder than when the buzzer sounds for the rear sensors. I have adjusted the buzzer volume to the loudest position (#5), but the volume of the buzzer when the rear sensors activate is still much lower than for the front sensors.

The indicators on the nav screen for all the sensors are working properly.

Do you find the volume is different between the front and rear sensors or do I have a problem?

I am asking because I inadvertently backed out of a driveway into a car that was parked directly across the street. I do not recall hearing the sensor sound before I hit the other car. At the time, my sensor volume was set on #3. When I checked, I could barely hear the buzzer from the rear sensors, but could clearly hear the buzzer from the front sensors. Resetting the buzzer volume to #5 has helped a bit, but I still wish the buzzer for the rear was louder.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 07-14-13, 02:26 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

I am very surprised that 81 people looked at my post in the past 24 hours and not one person took the time to check their parking assist volume and answer my question.

Simply stated:

Is the sound level from the front sensors louder than the sound level from the rear sensors?

Thanks in advance for your reply
Old 07-14-13, 05:19 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My sound level is the same from both front and rear sensors. The issue I have is that the sensors are not that sensitive meaning that I am very close to an object before the warning sounds. I have other vehicles which sound an alarm at much greater distances.

By the way, I just saw your post so I am not one of the 81 reviewers who did not respond initially.
Old 07-14-13, 05:22 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Sorry for the delay. What you have observed seemed unlikely to me so I wasn't in too big of a hurry to check. But, you are right-on.

I have a 2007 LS460.

On my car the audible warning for the front sensors comes from a sounder in the dash, near the touch screen. The audible warning for the rear sensors comes from a sounder that is located near the top center of the rear seat. Depending on which way you are facing when you hear it will affect the perceived volume - sounds of a certain level behind us seem a little lower than sounds of the same level that are in front of us, it is part of our binaural hearing system. And any hearing defects could make this diverse sounder location problem even worse. Regardless of that factor, the sounds from the rear sounder are a measured 10dB lower than the sounds from the front sensor. If you are not a sound person, let me explain what 10dB means. It means that the measured sound pressure is 10 times higher from the front sounder. That is a little confusing and it is best to think of it in terms of perceived sound. It means that the front sensor-sounds are perceived by most humans as slightly more than twice as loud as the rear sensor sounds.

NOT GOOD!!

Thanks for sharing your observations. It may save someone from backing over something.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-14-13 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added clarity
Old 07-14-13, 05:24 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
My sound level is the same from both front and rear sensors. The issue I have is that the sensors are not that sensitive meaning that I am very close to an object before the warning sounds. I have other vehicles which sound an alarm at much greater distances.

By the way, I just saw your post so I am not one of the 81 reviewers who did not respond initially.
There is an adjustment for the sensor sensitivity. Perhaps yours is set to the less sensitive range.
Old 07-14-13, 07:45 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Clean does your car have the backup camera option, if not maybe you want to install an aftermarket one to assist you. They are a big help on a car our size.
Old 07-14-13, 07:56 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes the rear sensor alert in the rear is perceived to be slightly lower than the front, but I believe Lexus took in account how loud the alert would be to rear passengers ears. The front will sound louder because you are closer to the speakers it emits from. I would also look into what the others suggested far as the distance setting for the parking sensors and back up camera.
Old 07-14-13, 08:38 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Thank you to those who replied. I now know that my sensor volume is operating correctly.

SBlexus - yes I do have the backup camera. I was not paying attention and I did not expect that a vehicle was parked directly across from the driveway I was backing out of. Totally my fault, but if the warning was louder, I might have paid more attention.

jmgraney - Thanks for your explanation. I do have a hearing problem, especially with sounds behind me, and could barely hear the rear warning buzzer with the volume level the way it was - at the #3 setting. I adjusted the volume to the highest level - #5 and it is better.

Also, I did adjust the distance at which the sensors engage using the same screen as for the volume adjustments.

Silverpaws - you can adjust the distance that the buzzer sounds at. There are two separate distance adjustments for the front sensors and for the rear sensors. If you have the touch screen you can make the adjustments yourself. If you do not have the touch screen you can have the dealer make the adjustments.
Old 07-14-13, 11:42 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where can I find these adjustments to the distance they start beeping at?
Old 07-14-13, 01:34 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious
Where can I find these adjustments to the distance they start beeping at?
I think if you press your info button you will see the park assist menu.
Old 07-14-13, 02:23 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

The car must be in the park in order for the Park Assit will show in the top right corner if not you will not see it.
Old 03-12-14, 03:11 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife's 2012 ES-350 DOES NOT have Nav. The parking sensor do not beep until she is about 1-2 feet from the object(s). Is there a way to set the sensitivity of the sensors to allow them to beep before she's a foot or two from an object ?

Thanks in advance.