LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 02:28 AM
cajunborn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start

I have a 2010 LS460L and have been trying to determine if OEM remote start is an available option the dealer can add. I found a few after market modules but concerned added this might void warranty. Does anyone have any info on this?
Old 06-25-13, 05:06 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cajunborn
I have a 2010 LS460L and have been trying to determine if OEM remote start is an available option the dealer can add. I found a few after market modules but concerned added this might void warranty. Does anyone have any info on this?
OEM RS is port / factory installed. they will sell you an AM RS which IMO is much better than the OEM RS.
Old 06-25-13, 05:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota remote start programming is stupid.
Start with your remote and then when unlocking the door,the engine shuts down.Why?
With other auto manufacturers and aftermarket systems,the engine cuts off when stepping on the brake to shift.
It's not a push button start issue because the Jeep Cherokee has push button start and the engine doesn't shut down when unlocking the door.
Also add in the range of the Toyota remote isn't very good..
Old 06-25-13, 07:17 PM
cajunborn
Driver School Candidate

@sydtoosic, I would like to say I understand, but i don't. Can you explain?
@joeb427, thanks for the input. I read a similar article on the Internet.
Old 06-25-13, 07:23 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cajunborn
@sydtoosic, I would like to say I understand, but i don't. Can you explain?
@joeb427, thanks for the input. I read a similar article on the Internet.
your Lexus dealer can not add an OEM remote start to your car, it would have to come from the factory with the OEM remote start. your dealer can install an aftermarket remote start in your car which IMO is much better than the OEM remote start from the factory.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 06-25-13 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 09:42 AM
lex460l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most installers ive came across said they didnt want to touch the car, i took that as they dont want to mess anything up, so even if something goes wrong with the car and you take it to the dealer having that on your car aftermarket i feel they will always blame them, then the installer might blame lexus, i dont know how those situations get resolved. i would install it at the dealer even though they use a 3rd party guy just to play it safe
Old 06-27-13, 12:27 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
your Lexus dealer can not add an OEM remote start to your car, it would have to come from the factory with the OEM remote start. your dealer can install an aftermarket remote start in your car which IMO is much better than the OEM remote start from the factory.
I had RS installed on my GX at the port but what is strange is that for the GX, Sewell sells the OEM RS and they have instructions on how to install it but they don't have it for the LS. I also agree that the OEM RS is somewhat useless, not so much that it cuts off when you open the door but more because the range of the OEM fob is terrible compared to aftermarket (at least with my GX).

Last edited by patgilm; 06-30-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-28-13, 06:14 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

1st adding remote start to our cars is sooooo simple.. most installers are just too timid if theyre not familiar.. it maybe that they are inexperienced in the new tech.. its a learning curve for sure.. (i guess i just crave the challenge of new toys an tech.. and a bit fearless)

2nd theres no voiding of the warranty as no wires in the vehicle are cut...

3rd the engine shut off issue has to do with liability.. no major manufacturer will assume responsibility for your vehicle being stolen, because once started the engine doesn't shut down unless turned off (fob or no fob)
so its set to shut off when the doors are unlocked making sure that an authorized person with an active fob is present to restart the engine..(its an extra 10secs out of your life..really are we 12??? not too mention sticker on a new Ls is 70k+.. 10 secs is worth it to keep my investment safe)

4th.. if your having trouble finding a qualified installer in your area contact dei aka viper directly..they will know who the top guys in your area are... fyi anyone in need of assistance feel free to contact me... my kung fu is strong
Attached Thumbnails Remote start-bruce-leroy.jpg  
Old 06-29-13, 12:06 PM
pmiller
Driver

Regarding the car shutting down being a liability issue...I don't buy it. There must be some reason they do it. Reason I don't buy it is my wife's GMC Yukon has remote start. The doors have to be locked when you start it. Then you get in, put the key, and away it goes. Never turns off. Surely, Toyota/Lexis can figure a way for this to work like this. Maybe you'd have to press the start button again to verify you have the fob, but isn't this done when you open the door? Having to start the engine again isn't that big a deal. I think if GMC can do it, surely Toyota/Lexus can.
Old 06-30-13, 07:56 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

i believe it has to do with the proximity sensor as well... but again its 10secs of your life..you waste more time in line at starbucks for a $10 cup of coffee.....an no disrespect but my Ls costs a lil more than a yukon.. hell mercedes just became available for aftermarket remote starts last year... an the factory option a yr or two b4 that on select models.. so its easy for chevy to sit back a copy high end tech.. they just released a knock off version of smart start comin on all 2014 models.... which has been out for awhile.. fyi "onstar" was once an aftermarket company called "ongard"... that gm bought out... its easy to backward engineer anything after someone else makes it..

long/short..if u want to add remote start to an LS you will have to restart the car after the doors unlocked...
Old 07-01-13, 07:40 PM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
i believe it has to do with the proximity sensor as well... but again its 10secs of your life..you waste more time in line at starbucks for a $10 cup of coffee.....an no disrespect but my Ls costs a lil more than a yukon.. hell mercedes just became available for aftermarket remote starts last year... an the factory option a yr or two b4 that on select models.. so its easy for chevy to sit back a copy high end tech.. they just released a knock off version of smart start comin on all 2014 models.... which has been out for awhile.. fyi "onstar" was once an aftermarket company called "ongard"... that gm bought out... its easy to backward engineer anything after someone else makes it..

long/short..if u want to add remote start to an LS you will have to restart the car after the doors unlocked...
Maybe you missed my point. The point is that if a GMC truck can do this, surely a Lexus LS can. Yes, my LS cost more than the Yukon. I am a LS owner. So, i know that. I think most people on this forum realize that. FWIW, a loaded Yukon can be over $60K. Its not cheap. But, what is your point of pointing this out? Do you have an issue with GM? Also, I don't buy Starbucks coffee. I prefer Dunkin Donuts if I am getting coffee out. But, my favorite is coffee from my home Bunn coffee maker...LOL...smile...laugh...LOL!!!!! Let's not take this too seriously. As you stated, it's 10 seconds of your life...again, laugh!!! Hahaha!!!!
Old 07-02-13, 10:06 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

actually on the LS when remote started if the drivers door is opened the car will shut down, I opened the other doors to see if the rs would shut down and it did not, so if you bypass the door pin switch you would think it would not shut down, but it will because once you press the brake it shuts down. there is no way around this. and Shibumi1 is correct when he said " adding remote start to our cars is sooooo simple" its a matter of you knowing how to install.