LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

AFS OFF flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 02:44 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No warranty and I don't think I can attribute it to the accident. Pretty sure it'll be a fairly straightforward repair to DIY (provided it's a faulty sensor). It's literally just three bolts and a plug.
If its a bad sensor, get one cheap from a reputable salvage company and be done with it.
Old 01-24-15, 02:29 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tofu
Just want to update. I found the problem, the fuse #7 of type B fuse in Engine comp. was bad...
where is this fuse exactly?

Is this the AFS fuse? Can anyone confirm if you remove the AFS fuse that the light and error message will go away?
Old 01-24-15, 09:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
where is this fuse exactly?

Is this the AFS fuse? Can anyone confirm if you remove the AFS fuse that the light and error message will go away?
Fuse #7 controls many functions - not just the AFS. So if that fuse is bad, other things won't function either and you likely would have already known it was bad. That's why I laughed when the suggestion was made to simpy remove the fuse and make the light go away. It will effect other things such as horn, etc.
Old 01-25-15, 09:00 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Fuse #7 controls many functions - not just the AFS. So if that fuse is bad, other things won't function either and you likely would have already known it was bad. That's why I laughed when the suggestion was made to simpy remove the fuse and make the light go away. It will effect other things such as horn, etc.
my fuse wasn't bad, but yet I still get the AFS Off light flashing...it started when I got my 22's put on....maybe they are related.

removing the fuse doesn't make the light stop.
Old 01-25-15, 10:13 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

On some of the earlier models, there is a switch on the dash that turns off the AFS. When the AFS is turned off with the switch then there is an AFS OFF indicator in the instrument display. This has been mentioned in this thread, back at post #2 but it is worth mentioning again. Of course there are other causes of the AFS OFF indication but it only takes seconds to check the switch.
Old 01-25-15, 06:56 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Nearly certain that it's one of my two level sensors. I have the Lexus instructions for checking the sensor with an ohm meter. I'll likely do this in the next few days.
Old 01-26-15, 11:56 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jmcraney
On some of the earlier models, there is a switch on the dash that turns off the AFS. When the AFS is turned off with the switch then there is an AFS OFF indicator in the instrument display. This has been mentioned in this thread, back at post #2 but it is worth mentioning again. Of course there are other causes of the AFS OFF indication but it only takes seconds to check the switch.
Definitely not my switch.

The switch just makes the light turn on steadily... our issue is it blinking along with an error code being thrown telling me to take my car to the dealer.
Old 01-26-15, 11:57 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Nearly certain that it's one of my two level sensors. I have the Lexus instructions for checking the sensor with an ohm meter. I'll likely do this in the next few days.
keep us posted for sure!
Old 01-30-15, 06:34 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

I stumbled on somewhat of a temporary fix that's better than the error code and flashing light.

Right after ignition before the error and the light starts flashing I was able to actually turn the AFS off via the button. That prevented the error and flashing light. This setting is remembered even after shutting down the car.

Of course the light is there, but at least it's steady on.

What a pain in the ***.
Old 01-30-15, 07:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
I stumbled on somewhat of a temporary fix that's better than the error code and flashing light.

Right after ignition before the error and the light starts flashing I was able to actually turn the AFS off via the button. That prevented the error and flashing light. This setting is remembered even after shutting down the car.

Of course the light is there, but at least it's steady on.

What a pain in the ***.
Tried that, but it didn't work for me.
Old 02-10-15, 07:00 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

hoping for an update...

this is so annoying.

After more research I've read that the rear axle sensor perhaps needs to be reset after adjustments to suspension or getting new larger wheels.
My issue happened right after I got 22's

Anyone know how to reset this sensor?

Last edited by jbrittmart; 02-10-15 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 08:58 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There are actually a couple different things that can throw the light on. The most common is for those who have lowered their vehicle. There is a sensor that is bolted to the rear lower control arm. If you/shop is unbolting items here to do work... it's very easy to re-install this sensor incorrectly. There is a thread somewhere in the 2is section that shows the correct way the sensor should look after lowering.

Another way the light can get thrown is something that I did tonight. My driver side was flickering but my bulbs are pretty much new. I checked the ballast and it was barley locked in place so just a bad connection. When i tightened it down I moved the projector on accident but figured the afs would just reset anyways. Went for a drive and took an off ramp that circles back at about 45 mph and then curls back the other direction at 45... the afs started blinking and kept on till I got home. I noticed the driver side light beam was no longer in line with the passenger and was aiming higher. I opened the driver side again and notice that the ballast cable was wedged tight in the metal prongs that held the bulb in place... no give on it. So when the driver side was trying to turn with me it couldn't. I disconnected the ballast and tried to put it on 180 degrees left and now it's on secured with plenty of cable to move side to side. I checked by manually moving the projector with my hand before securing. Took the same exit only slightly faster and it's all good.

I don't agree with just pulling fuses or bulbs... not that afs makes or breaks night driving but why not just figure it out. I'm sure there are other things that can set this off but these are my two separate experiences and fixes. Both times for me it happened after doing something with the car. Lowering and adjusting the bulb connection.
Old 03-01-15, 08:09 PM
ShahG
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
There are actually a couple different things that can throw the light on. The most common is for those who have lowered their vehicle. There is a sensor that is bolted to the rear lower control arm. If you/shop is unbolting items here to do work... it's very easy to re-install this sensor incorrectly. There is a thread somewhere in the 2is section that shows the correct way the sensor should look after lowering.

Another way the light can get thrown is something that I did tonight. My driver side was flickering but my bulbs are pretty much new. I checked the ballast and it was barley locked in place so just a bad connection. When i tightened it down I moved the projector on accident but figured the afs would just reset anyways. Went for a drive and took an off ramp that circles back at about 45 mph and then curls back the other direction at 45... the afs started blinking and kept on till I got home. I noticed the driver side light beam was no longer in line with the passenger and was aiming higher. I opened the driver side again and notice that the ballast cable was wedged tight in the metal prongs that held the bulb in place... no give on it. So when the driver side was trying to turn with me it couldn't. I disconnected the ballast and tried to put it on 180 degrees left and now it's on secured with plenty of cable to move side to side. I checked by manually moving the projector with my hand before securing. Took the same exit only slightly faster and it's all good.

I don't agree with just pulling fuses or bulbs... not that afs makes or breaks night driving but why not just figure it out. I'm sure there are other things that can set this off but these are my two separate experiences and fixes. Both times for me it happened after doing something with the car. Lowering and adjusting the bulb connection.
Makes sense. I have the same problem. Left Headlight, although I think a wire is obstructing the Projector to move. I will check it out this week. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-27-19, 06:16 PM
johncoby
Driver

Default AFS light starts flashing when I turn

I replaced the leveling sensor and thought I fixed it.

If I start the car and drive it straight the light stays off. As soon as I turn the AFS light starts to blink. The lights do not track the turn.

Anyone have an idea of what other part may be the problem?
Old 07-19-20, 11:42 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tofu
Just want to update. I found the problem, the fuse #7 of type B fuse in Engine comp. was bad...
Sorry for bumping an old thread but where exactly in the engine compartment can I find this fuse?

Quick Reply: AFS OFF flashing