LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is this possible? All aftermarket wheel owners please chime in.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 06:01 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Dude we are so going through the same thing. I will just tell you my vibration is worse some days than others too. The issue with my car was 3 fold. I had bad wheels, bad tires, AND a bad driveshaft. Lexus replaced the driveshaft and its better BUT I still have the issue with the tires. ( Vossen replaced the wheels). Now I have a more mild vibration but it still persists. The tech at lexus told me to just wear the tires and then replace them since they are so damn expensive. I am looking into PS2s or INVO. The INVO is easy to get and cheap. The PS2s are being phased out so they are much harder to find. I have had this annoying vibration from day one. If the tires dont do it then I will be dumping the wheels for stocks and I will keep the car for a little while and then dump it. I have spent too much money on this car to drive it with vibrations. My last two sets of tires have had tread that is visibly moving right and left when spinning on the balancer. I dont give a **** what anyone says.....That is not normal. I have had terrible luck with these larger wheels ( not that 20s were much better). I am a 37 yr old doctor with two kids. I no longer have time for these games and total waste of my very precious time. Next ride is going to be BONE STOCK. Just the thought of having to go in and replace tires just to verify if my car is truly jacked up makes me sick to my stomach. Members here have and will always give their 2 cents on the issue but this issue was even out of scope for the Lexus engineers and foremen so I have pretty much stopped listening because everything that could be checked and evaluated has been checked literally 6x. I never let up on this issues for 29 months. I have waisted evenings, weekends, stressed relationships at tire shops and dealerships trying to get this sorted ALL WITH NO LUCK. Michelins are my last resort and even then there might be a chance they will not be available when I order.

My vibration is worse some days than others and even when it vibrates the vibration cycles through. It starts shaking for 5 seconds then decreases for 5-6 then comes back. I asked the tech why and he says that its the defective tires coming in and out of phase as they spin with each other. In the end if you have questions just feel free to PM me.

I have replaced
1. wheels
2. tires 2x
3. driveshaft
4. brakes
5. parking brake assembly
6. upper control arms
7. steering rack

The car has been evaluated literally 21 times with no luck. The only thing they say is its the tires. After dealing with this for 3 years now I am sure its not the tires unless its possible for one person to get several sets of defective rear tires back to back. ( I doubt it). The only thing left to do is to put the best possible tire on the car and see what happens. Michelins are the most expensive because they are simply the best tire you can buy. In life you get what you pay for
you know what i hav been wanting to do? i have been wanting to find a fellow LS owner from my area that has zero vibration issues nd just do a test drive with his wheels/tires. If i get vibration, then i have officially ELIMINATED the possibility of it being my wheels/tires and now i would have to tackle something mechanical.
ONE thing that PISSES ME OFF about this car is that the BRAKES suck BIG TIME. I have just done a rotor and pad swap. I bought the ceramic AKEBONO pads and cross drilled rotors and the braking is a little better, but i still feel like brake fade at times. I DONT GET IT, i have been REPEATEDLY told that the front brakes do 80% of the stopping of a vehicle so i gotta believe the fact that my rears are not new IS NOT the cause why i dont get good stopping power. It is like a funny feeling, i have new front brake pads and rotors and the brake isn't really like ALL THAT much improved than what i had.
Love this car, but damn the IS250 had ZERO FLAWS that i can remember. Brakes were awesome, no rattles or clunk noises up front, just a solid little car. Heck, i sometimes wish i had just bought a 2011 GS300 with low miles so i wouldnt have to deal with this.
Old 05-14-13, 06:03 AM
silver305
Pole Position

LOL I was so desperate at one point I was thinking of shipping my ride to Butler Tire on the other side of the country to see what they can do. I called every shop in AZ and NObody has this on the car balancer.
I just got an appointment with a place in Fort Lauderdale that does on the vehicle wheel balancing. I have a feeling that this won't fix a damn thing either other than $120 dollars less in my bank account.
Old 05-14-13, 07:15 AM
CJITTY

Received 147 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by silver305
I just got an appointment with a place in Fort Lauderdale that does on the vehicle wheel balancing. I have a feeling that this won't fix a damn thing either other than $120 dollars less in my bank account.
Yeah, I thought the same thing too...then I paid my $130 and life has been good for over a year...I have videos on YouTube about this..just search on CJITTY CV1
Old 05-14-13, 07:18 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by ssrfenton
CJITTY is this the machine?

On-the-car Finish Balancing

On-the-car finish balancing can correct most vehicle vibrations caused by low profile tires, upgraded sizing of custom alloy wheels, and/or brake and suspension irregularities. This will not correct brake pulsations or mechanical problems with your suspension, but "balances out" any weighty areas in these components - resulting in a smooth ride. Standard balancing can sometimes alleviate the problem, but not in all cases. If you are having trouble with a vibration in your vehicle, then try this unique service from Metro Wheels. The wheels and tires are taken up to 130 mph - on the car - using our Hoffman finish balancer. As long as your vehicle doesn't have damaged wheels, suspension or brake components, the result will be a smooth ride.
Luckily this time, I did not require a finish balance..the machine he sits on projects a strobe light and that white piece of tape is used to detect variances. He did not have to adjust weight on this wheel, but this is done AFTER a hunter road force balance OFF the car

Old 05-14-13, 07:35 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Luckily this time, I did not require a finish balance..the machine he sits on projects a strobe light and that white piece of tape is used to detect variances. He did not have to adjust weight on this wheel, but this is done AFTER a hunter road force balance OFF the car

High Speed On The Car Balancing Lexus LS460 - YouTube
so lets say the tires are not rounded perfectly, will this machine fix that problem? remember, ALL 4 OF MY WHEELS/TIRES balanced perfect on the hunter machine....
Old 05-14-13, 07:48 AM
CJITTY

so lets say the tires are not rounded perfectly, will this machine fix that problem? remember, ALL 4 OF MY WHEELS/TIRES balanced perfect on the hunter machine....
Depends on how bad it is. I have been told that wheels with very slight bends can have vibrations reduced or eliminated with a good balance and finisher balance. I don't know about all that..but, seems like that bootleg shop you bought them from needs to step up if the tires are bad and you need to force the issue..call the local news if you have to...don't settle for "blame deflection"
Old 05-14-13, 07:54 AM
CJITTY

Oh, and just some advice...tires are one of the most marked up automotive items out there. Don't settle for some cheap azz tires. There are tons of good deals out there on name brand, quality tested tires that you can use. Find a deal online, print it and send the link to your phone. Then, work the local shops to match the price. The markup is so high that they have room to negoitate and they would much rather have your business than you going online. That way, you get name brand quality tires with a local place to go for follow up issues. I have seen tires selling for 30% or more cheaper online, took them to local tires shop and they matched the price..even accounting for no sales tax to do a true match up...don't settle for cheap *****..you have a big boy car, don't put little kid rental car fleet tires on it
Old 05-14-13, 07:56 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Oh, and just some advice...tires are one of the most marked up automotive items out there. Don't settle for some cheap azz tires. There are tons of good deals out there on name brand, quality tested tires that you can use. Find a deal online, print it and send the link to your phone. Then, work the local shops to match the price. The markup is so high that they have room to negoitate and they would much rather have your business than you going online. That way, you get name brand quality tires with a local place to go for follow up issues. I have seen tires selling for 30% or more cheaper online, took them to local tires shop and they matched the price..even accounting for no sales tax to do a true match up...don't settle for cheap *****..you have a big boy car, don't put little kid rental car fleet tires on it
yea man youre right... I need to really just get this thing rolling smooth. Nothing else, but a smooth ride. I hope the issue isnt the control arms or something big like that.
Old 05-14-13, 02:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I rmember going through all of this and I was losing sleep over it. It was infuriating that techs and foremen couldnt figure it out. In the end after the driveshaft was done I went back to the shop to test drive the car with the stocks to verify that they ride was perfect and it was. It has to be the wheels or tires. Since Vossen hooked me up with a new set of wheels that were evaluated before they were shipped then it has to be the tires. Tne tech at Lexus put my car in the air and spun the tires and you could clearly see the tread moving. Strange. I agree with cjitty. I am done with cheaper tires. I am going to drop 2k and be the ginuea pig. I will let everyone know what happenes when I change out the tires. I have been looking for some Michelins and Tire rack doesnt even show the on the site in my size. That not a good sign. I wish the damn Michelin Super Sports would finally be produced in my size. Not sure what to do if PS2s not available. I may have to go with the INVOs
Old 05-14-13, 02:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

man you are so lucky to even have the option of going. I would pay $500 for a balance like that if I had the option. The vibration is sooooo annoying. Its better now but still there. I think I have gotten used to it . Thats just sad
Old 05-14-13, 04:00 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

yes, all centric rings were on the vehicle when they took the tires off. My issue is probably going to be one of the following:
1. bad tires
2. bad driveshaft
3. bad control arms
4. not finding a damn good place that can do more than just a simple road force balance.

I need to tackle it by going the cheap route which would be to replace the tires.
I don't know that tire brand you named and that could be the issue.
But you don't need to spend huge bucks on Michelins. I do believe they are the best tire on the planet but tire technology these days is good enough to not need to buy tires as expensive as Michelins.
After 25 years of driving on low profile tires, the times I've have balance issues was due to the company not having the right machines or if they did, the machines were not maintained properly.
The lastest Hunter balancer will do the job right. But if it doesn't receive manufacturer recalibration at prescribed intervals, it won't work properly.
Road force balancing is not necessary. Just a properly calibrated Hunter balancer.

It is definitely possible your cheap tires are out of round but unlikely that the major brands out there are just as bad as some cheapo rubber.
I've gone through many brands. I came across one out-of-round tire. Companies without the right equipment will quickly blame a tire.

I agree with you buying better tires....but you don't need to jump all the way to Michelin. Unless you just want the satisfaction of having the best. Nothing wrong with that but it isn't necessary for a smooth ride.
Old 05-15-13, 08:41 AM
silver305
Pole Position

High Speed On The Car Balancing Lexus LS460 - YouTube
Do they need to take the wheels off at all for this type of work? how do the spin the front tires? Looks like they have someone driving the car to spin the back tires, but what about the front ones?
Old 05-15-13, 08:55 AM
silver305
Pole Position

man you are so lucky to even have the option of going. I would pay $500 for a balance like that if I had the option. The vibration is sooooo annoying. Its better now but still there. I think I have gotten used to it . Thats just sad
well, i cant seem to locate my wheel lock keys so NOW i am fuming because i NEVER keep that inside my vehicle since you never know when they will check inside your car to see if the key is inside so they can steal the wheels.
That being said, i will definetely let you know whether this fixes the issue or not. I mean, i just can not believe how sensitive the LS is... JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING makes it ride like crap...I remember owning a 1996 toyota camry with bad cv joints that made a noise when i turned corners and that sucker drove smooth as hell on the highway regardlesss!!!!
Old 05-15-13, 09:50 AM
CJITTY

Do they need to take the wheels off at all for this type of work? how do the spin the front tires? Looks like they have someone driving the car to spin the back tires, but what about the front ones?
My other youtube video shows it but the machine has a horizontal wheel in front that spins the tire on its sidewall and just under the sidewall
Old 05-15-13, 09:53 AM
CJITTY

well, i cant seem to locate my wheel lock keys so NOW i am fuming because i NEVER keep that inside my vehicle since you never know when they will check inside your car to see if the key is inside so they can steal the wheels.
That being said, i will definetely let you know whether this fixes the issue or not. I mean, i just can not believe how sensitive the LS is... JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING makes it ride like crap...I remember owning a 1996 toyota camry with bad cv joints that made a noise when i turned corners and that sucker drove smooth as hell on the highway regardlesss!!!!
Maybe it is time to get a leased Accord lol...you sure you ready for this LS life? That wheel lock should have as much importance as your car keys..not keeping your lock hidden in your car is absolutely foolish..you never know when you need it. If they want those wheels..they will get em..locks are just a bump in the road for a good thief..it is to protect from the casual opportunist from getting an easy score to sell on craigslist

Quick Reply: Is this possible? All aftermarket wheel owners please chime in.....