LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sell my 600 HL or keep? Need advice

Old 05-21-13, 03:01 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
Yes, I had driven the A8. I prefer the styling of Jaguar xjl. Just a personal preference. The A8 might have a slight advantage in driving performance but at this point, almost all of the top cars are very good, each with their own driving personality.
I've noticed you've been posting on the Jag forums. Good idea! Hopefully you'll be able to order a Jag without the windshield heater. It's a nice looking car for sure, and I wouldn't mind owning one for the long term, as long as I keep my LS460 too. And you're correct, the annoyances like no hard buttons for some functions like heated seats shows us how well served and spoiled we are with our Lexis. I think Jaguar is making a big effort to keep up with the ever increasing demands put upon this class of cars, and it remains to be seen if they will succeed. Having a Jaguar representative posting on that independent forum is a good sign IMHO. They're trying. Their products still have flaws that other manufacturers had already overcome, so I'm cheering for Jags to soon enter the reliability / functionality club. I'll be a buyer then.
Old 05-21-13, 03:31 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
I've noticed you've been posting on the Jag forums. Good idea! Hopefully you'll be able to order a Jag without the windshield heater. It's a nice looking car for sure, and I wouldn't mind owning one for the long term, as long as I keep my LS460 too. And you're correct, the annoyances like no hard buttons for some functions like heated seats shows us how well served and spoiled we are with our Lexis. I think Jaguar is making a big effort to keep up with the ever increasing demands put upon this class of cars, and it remains to be seen if they will succeed. Having a Jaguar representative posting on that independent forum is a good sign IMHO. They're trying. Their products still have flaws that other manufacturers had already overcome, so I'm cheering for Jags to soon enter the reliability / functionality club. I'll be a buyer then.
I am annoyed that jag has electronic seat heater seats and that it doesn't offer remote start (lexus offers remote start now as a dealer installed option on all the cars - I think some one told me that). But the jaguar xjl is a beautiful looking car. As I drive my remaining 600hl, I continue to appreciate its amazingness.. I almost have a regretful feeling that I shouldn't have sold my other 600hl. My wife also wanted to keep it.. But it had 69000 miles and next year, at 90,000 miles, it would be worth very little! Jag was totaly stupid in my opinion, that they have the lines in the windshield. My wife does not want that car for that reason.. My son has an xf with the same and it is quite annoying. Why do manufacturers not realize such stupidity, I don't understand.. Because - it seems to affect mainly people with bifocals.. guess what? Who are the primary customers of Jag?
You need not worry too much about reliability. Initial delivery reliabiliy of the xf has been as good as a lexus's (as was audi and mercedes)... My son didn't have to take it back to the dealer for even a small issue. Cars are now coming almost perfectly at delivery.. I would rather lease than buy ANY car.. because repairs are getting very expensive..
Old 06-24-13, 07:44 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend NOT purchasing a jaguar. if you can get it on lease, with full warranty coverage, and have a second car; go for it. I had a 2010 XF supercharged; purchased brand new. Jaguar Land Rover N/A was forced to purchase the car back from me after nearly 9 months of litigation. The car spent several months in service; this is NOT uncommon. I absolutely _LOVED_ driving the XF-S, it was an absolute blast, and stunning design. Reliability was laughable, and it left me near-stranded on more than one occasion. Just food for thought.
Old 06-25-13, 06:43 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oztiks
I highly recommend NOT purchasing a jaguar. if you can get it on lease, with full warranty coverage, and have a second car; go for it. I had a 2010 XF supercharged; purchased brand new. Jaguar Land Rover N/A was forced to purchase the car back from me after nearly 9 months of litigation. The car spent several months in service; this is NOT uncommon. I absolutely _LOVED_ driving the XF-S, it was an absolute blast, and stunning design. Reliability was laughable, and it left me near-stranded on more than one occasion. Just food for thought.
I can sense your frustration. What was wrong with it? I actually own a 2012 XF 5 liter and it has not needed any service till now. Not a single issue. It has about 12000 miles and oil change is at 15,000 miles. I have to say that my lexuses probably had minor issues within first year but not the Jaguar - not yet anyway.
Old 06-25-13, 07:16 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

I can sense your frustration. What was wrong with it? I actually own a 2012 XF 5 liter and it has not needed any service till now. Not a single issue. It has about 12000 miles and oil change is at 15,000 miles. I have to say that my lexuses probably had minor issues within first year but not the Jaguar - not yet anyway.
  1. Within the first week of owning the car I could hear a "ticking" noise from the rear end under moderate/heavy acceleration - I reported this to the dealer as it was a new issue to them (everything was always 'new' to them); they called corporate and determined it was due to the new 5.0 supercharged engine potentially generating too much heat and the heat shield for the diff being inadequate. The remedy for this on my 2 week old $68K car was to replace both rear axles, the drive shaft, and have a custom heatshield imported from europe (they sourced the diesel heat shield; jaguar later issued a global recall on the 2010 XF for the heatshield issue).
  2. Replacing the heat shield required dropping the exhaust. The exhaust was NEVER properly aligned after that
  3. Car had serious "idle" issues. You will likely notice the same in your XJ if it's supercharged. At idle, the car bounces between 400-700 rpm almost to the point of stalling. You can feel the whole chassis shake. There was no resolution at the time for this issue
  4. The driver's side metal door trim was slipping back off the frame, causing it to hit the rear door and scratch both trims and make the door difficult to close. The trim was readjusted twice, replaced the third time, and then RIVETED to the door. This was unacceptable, as expected. The driver's side door also had a prominent sag which would commonly leave it out of alignment
  5. Driver's side rear bumper was coming detached. They had to remove the tail light and have a body shop professional "pull" the bumper flat.
  6. After that batch of repairs, they returned my car to me (the dealer was 70 miles away so they had to transport the car each time), when I was backing the car up (after return) I noticed the
    rear camera was just black lines. The car went right back on the flatbed and back to the dealer. They replaced the camera and maybe the headunit.
  7. Any time I would try to use the parking brake it would fail with an error message saying ("EMERGENCY BRAKE FAILED"). It would either refuse to engage, or you would have to repeatedly switch it to get it to disengage.
  8. A month or so into having the car I was pulling into my driveway and the car SHUT OFF. The CEL was on, the shift "****" was rapidly flashing because it was still in "D" mode... but the engine was DEAD. The car restarted and never did this again.
  9. Weird thunk from rear-end when you let off the gas, coast, and then go back onto throttle
  10. Satellite radio keeps resetting itself to the weather channel
  11. Satellite radio has horrible reception and loses stations when on wide open roads
  12. Hood would not close properly (it has two latches, one was "stuck" so it wouldnt close on both sides... )
  13. Instrument cluster flickers when wipers are on
  14. It then developed a later-recalled issue which was due to the fuel level sensor in the tank. The tank is a split design and one of the fuel level sensors would return an improperly reading, constantly causing a "LOW FUEL" (empty) light to be displayed - even if the tank was full. This required them replacing the whole fuel tank assembly, and again, dropping the exhaaust which just kept on getting more and more mis-aligned.
  15. During my "final repair" the dealer actually called me and asked me if I had had the sunroof repaired. I said no and asked why. They said there were "random bolts/frame pieces rolling around in the headliner"...

After almost 6 months of litigation with Jaguar/L.R. N/A jaguar offered to "buy back" the vehicle under the guidelines of the state lemon law, in order to avoid having to actually lemon the title of the car. Jaguar is the WORST company I have EVER dealt with for this kind of thing, especially under TaTa motors.

I have a friend who works at Jag/LR and has informed me about continued issues from the XF'S, XJ's, LR's, etc. I am glad I dropped that thing like a hot potato when I could.....
Old 06-25-13, 10:13 AM
bobbyg49
Driver School Candidate

Default Keep or Sell

If you do not need it, sell it now. If you need the car, keep it.
Old 06-25-13, 10:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

that is such a lemon
Old 06-25-13, 03:16 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

CORRECTION TO MY POST:
I have already sold one of my LS 600s and am going to order a Jaguar XJL I am leasing it for 3 years. Its warrantied for 48,000 miles anyway.. So.. I have to risk the final 12,000 miles.
Thanks everyone for the feed back.
Old 08-18-13, 09:03 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I decided to buy the xjl instead of leasing. They had excellent year end rebate and got a great deal to buy it. I have used it only for 500 miles so far and am quite pleased. I still have one of my ls 600hls and of course, the 600 is a superior car for power and refinement - much superior to the xjl 3 liter awd. I would expect the 5 liter super charged V8 Jag to be much better than my v6 but awd is available in xjl only with a v6. I find the supercharged V6 to have abundant power but clearly not in the leauge of a ls600 - the 600 being $40,000 more, I guess its not a fair comparision.
My son't Xf with 12,000 miles has had absolutely zero problems.
The Jaguar buying experience, from the local dealer, also has been pleasant. They seem as polite and supportive as the Lexus dealerships. Arrogance of merecedes/bmw/jaguar dealers, as they were 25 years ago, has been corrected by Lexus/Infinity companies. Now all luxury brands seem to follow the original Lexus interaction experience.

btw, the curb effect of the Jag xjl seems to be much higher than the LS600hl. Often people are simply awed by its styling.. It is also my opinion that the Jaguar's styling is superior to its peers. Waiting to see what the new S class would look like (in my opinion, the new honda accord tells me what the S would look like - honda has been stealing S class design clues for years!).

Yesterday, I was at a party.. I took my 600 and my wife took her xjl.. Many people commented on the XJL's beauty and no one even mentioned my 600.

Last edited by lexus600hl; 08-18-13 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-18-13, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Congrats! Its a beautiful car...
Old 08-18-13, 10:45 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I decided to buy the xjl instead of leasing. They had excellent year end rebate and got a great deal to buy it. I have used it only for 500 miles so far and am quite pleased. I still have one of my ls 600hls and of course, the 600 is a superior car for power and refinement - much superior to the xjl 3 liter awd. I would expect the 5 liter super charged V8 Jag to be much better than my v6 but awd is available in xjl only with a v6. I find the supercharged V6 to have abundant power but clearly not in the leauge of a ls600 - the 600 being $40,000 more, I guess its not a fair comparision.
My son't Xf with 12,000 miles has had absolutely zero problems.
The Jaguar buying experience, from the local dealer, also has been pleasant. They seem as polite and supportive as the Lexus dealerships. Arrogance of merecedes/bmw/jaguar dealers, as they were 25 years ago, has been corrected by Lexus/Infinity companies. Now all luxury brands seem to follow the original Lexus interaction experience.

btw, the curb effect of the Jag xjl seems to be much higher than the LS600hl. Often people are simply awed by its styling.. It is also my opinion that the Jaguar's styling is superior to its peers. Waiting to see what the new S class would look like (in my opinion, the new honda accord tells me what the S would look like - honda has been stealing S class design clues for years!).

Yesterday, I was at a party.. I took my 600 and my wife took her xjl.. Many people commented on the XJL's beauty and no one even mentioned my 600.
2014 S Class is out..plenty of pics and it is a beautiful car. .and the technology is off the meter!!

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 08-19-13, 09:01 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
2014 S Class is out..plenty of pics and it is a beautiful car. .and the technology is off the meter!!

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Thanks. I saw the pics. its quite beautiful. Looks as nice as the jag xjl. Personally, I didn't like the looks of the bmw 7.. I realize many think it is a great "drivers car" but some how, it was not to my preference - the styling, the controls etc.. . Nothing wrong with it.. Just individual preference.. I am disliking the whiney hum of my jag's super charged V6.. other than that, its wonderful. I have always enjoyed the S Class.. I had bought the 2000 model when it first came out with that body style.. but the newer body version drives much better.