LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question for owners of LS460L with OEM air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 09:55 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question for owners of LS460L with OEM air suspension

First off, this is my first post, but I've been lurking around as a guest for some time now. An LS460L was a car that I wanted back then, but couldnt afford at the time so I bought a Magnum SRT8 instead. It was on also on air from UAS, 22" wheels, etc... To make the story short, 6 years later, a hail storm came though and totaled it out. So now I'm in the market for a car, a 460L to be exact.

I've been searching this forum, reading the threads, the handful of problems with the bags going out slowly and out of warranty and etc. My only question to all owners riding on OEM air, with or without the data control, is if you guys were to do it all over, would you have bought one with or without the factory air? I read a few threads with people praising the factory air, but they were all older threads. I know they will eventually fail, but I would like to hear all the inputs, good or bad, about the OEM air in this day and age. Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-13, 11:34 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have oem air but my plan from the very beginning was to go aftermarket air so I found one without it. I know a lot of people wanted factory air so they could do the data systems controller...then when they did fail they would then go get aftermarket air.
Old 04-11-13, 06:42 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Personally for me - it was a little bit different, but I'm impatient and always want "better"
I thought that the OEM air was going to be good for me and save me thousands for the most part and that it would suffice. However with the time it takes to go up and down and the fact that I don't want to sit there for 3-5 minutes everytime I pull up to a meet and wait for it go down and then wait again for it to go up when I leave.

Also some issues that I had was that it would never level out on anything other than super L. The passenger side was always higher than the driver side and that was super annoying.

I've ordered UAS with accuair and I will be getting rid of the OEM air. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably look for something without OEM air, but if I couldn't find one - I'd still get it and swap it out anyway.
Old 04-11-13, 06:56 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

I have factory air and I don't have any issues yet. I have the data controller, but I never mess with it since my wheels don't fit yet. I have warranty for a while, so I plan on using it when the air fails, then eventually going aftermarket air for moar low.
Old 04-11-13, 07:55 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Depends on your objective.

If you're not going to keep it forever, I would buy a car with higher re-sale value (most options within your budget)
If you're going to buy a car to mod, buy the car that's easiest to work with.

That being said, I ended up with an LS460L because of a deal that I couldn't pass up. Had I done it all over again, I would probably end up with an LS460 not equipped with factory air.

.....but I love my factory equipped LS460 Executive

Last edited by brianlin87; 04-11-13 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-11-13, 08:58 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Best option is what Elvin (lbintab) has...a LWB without air. I just like the look of a LWB better...that extra 5 inches or so makes a difference in apeearance. Especially when the car is fully slammed, it's looks so much longer.
Old 04-11-13, 02:18 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

My car with the controller doesnt take 5 minutes..or even 3..usually 2 mins tops..maybe my 600 is different..I dunno...im not into dumping my primary vehicle so oem air with data controller is good enough for me..for now
Old 04-11-13, 02:58 PM
mrgameover
Driver

I appreciate all the responses! I'm was hoping to find one and slap a data controller on it and call it a day. Even in the magnum and 70k+ miles and 5 years of riding on air, I didn't even mess with it as much. Maybe the first few months, but I never abused it. I knew its a wear and tear item, so I tried to preserve it and get the most out of them. However, I did have a rear bag blow out around the 55k mark, so I replaced both rears. Im not sure how the 460 bags are mounted on the rear, but in the Magnum, the rears were sitting at a hard angle on the LCAs. I knew from when I installed it, that it would eventually cause a problem because the bags would inflate to an angle and not verticle.

With the 460L, if I am able to find a deal, and it happens to have OEM air, I would get the data controller and set it low enough to close the wheel gap and leave it..I probably wouldnt mess with the height much either. I also have the UAS kit from my Magnum still in the garage, so if the OEM does eventually fail, I could call Zach from UAS and price out the bags and bracket and and reuse the tank and compressors. Hopefully by then, someone will figure out how to turn the christmas lights off if they were to replace the OEM air.

So I will keep everyone updated, but an 460L with or without air will be in my driveway hopefully soon.

Old 04-11-13, 03:34 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgameover
Hopefully by then, someone will figure out how to turn the christmas lights off if they were to replace the OEM air.
People have already figured this out.
Old 04-11-13, 04:48 PM
mrgameover
Driver

Originally Posted by brianlin87
People have already figured this out.
Oh really? Sweeet! I haven't ran across that thread yet, but that sure is good to know! Now that that is covered, I think I will stilck with the original idea of finding one with OEM air. I've been bagging cars for some time now, so this chassis shouldn't be too different. So since this comes equip with air, I'll try and work with data controller and factory stuff. Again appreciate the inputs!
Old 05-14-13, 06:17 PM
davidjt10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default davidjt10

I have an LS460L and the right rear shock is leaking. What advice can you give me to replace. I'm trying to figure out what type of suspension I have. The new car MSRP window sticker doesn't state anything about the suspension. It does have the Luxury Package, if that is of any help. Please advise. Thanks in advance
Old 05-15-13, 05:15 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by davidjt10
I have an LS460L and the right rear shock is leaking. What advice can you give me to replace. I'm trying to figure out what type of suspension I have. The new car MSRP window sticker doesn't state anything about the suspension. It does have the Luxury Package, if that is of any help. Please advise. Thanks in advance
If leaking fluid..i have to assume you dont have air suspension. If you have a spring wrapped around the upper portion of your strut..you have coil springs. If you have a button on your console next to your transmission control (pwr/snow) that says Height High and another button that says Comfort normal or sport..you have oem air suspension
Old 05-20-13, 05:42 PM
davidjt10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CJITTY
If leaking fluid..i have to assume you dont have air suspension. If you have a spring wrapped around the upper portion of your strut..you have coil springs. If you have a button on your console next to your transmission control (pwr/snow) that says Height High and another button that says Comfort normal or sport..you have oem air suspension
Thanks much for the response! You are correct. It's not air suspension.
Old 05-20-13, 06:06 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Default Newby... What ...

Originally Posted by mrgameover
I appreciate all the responses! I'm was hoping to find one and slap a data controller on it and call it a day. Even in the magnum and 70k+ miles and 5 years of riding on air, I didn't even mess with it as much. Maybe the first few months, but I never abused it. I knew its a wear and tear item, so I tried to preserve it and get the most out of them. However, I did have a rear bag blow out around the 55k mark, so I replaced both rears. Im not sure how the 460 bags are mounted on the rear, but in the Magnum, the rears were sitting at a hard angle on the LCAs. I knew from when I installed it, that it would eventually cause a problem because the bags would inflate to an angle and not verticle.

With the 460L, if I am able to find a deal, and it happens to have OEM air, I would get the data controller and set it low enough to close the wheel gap and leave it..I probably wouldnt mess with the height much either. I also have the UAS kit from my Magnum still in the garage, so if the OEM does eventually fail, I could call Zach from UAS and price out the bags and bracket and and reuse the tank and compressors. Hopefully by then, someone will figure out how to turn the christmas lights off if they were to replace the OEM air.

So I will keep everyone updated, but an 460L with or without air will be in my driveway hopefully soon.

What are you talking about? Anybody please elaborate. Thanks!
Old 05-20-13, 10:26 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Now i could be totally wrong but i think i'm correct in saying that the OEM air suspension still has oil filled struts inside them. Air is only in the bags. I don't believe the OEM air struts were gas struts.

Quick Reply: Question for owners of LS460L with OEM air suspension