LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How long did it take to install Air Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 11:19 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long did it take to install Air Runner?

I've been exchanging emails with Shin over at Air Runner and he informed me it would take 1-2 weeks for installation. Didn't think it would take that long. I can't be car-less for a week or two. Does it really take that long for installation?
Old 04-08-13, 06:57 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Man..get a car on Hotwire.com for as little as $15 a day in some areas..gotta pay to play homie..you wont be thinking about that week the minute it is done and you dump it..realizing you are clearly in bawse territory
Old 04-08-13, 07:04 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

From my understanding, Air Runner is a straight bolt on application. So I assume its no different than installing coil overs. From there, they would have to run all the lines and calibrating. The suspension installation should take no more than a few hours, so I'm wondering why it would take so long to do the rest. One-two weeks sounds a bit excessive. I was expecting maybe 1-2 days max.
Old 04-08-13, 08:01 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Realistically it should only take 1-3 days to do, but most shops have other projects they need to work on or finish, and to me they have to drag it out for that long to justified the 1k+ for the install. Mine took a week and a half before they were done, I showed up every other day to check on the progress and I saw they they didn't work on it the whole time.
Old 04-08-13, 09:11 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

I just got an email back saying they can rush it in 4 days for 200 more. Jeez. It isn't enough its going to cost me almost 8k for the basic kit, they want to charge me an additional 200 to finish the job sooner. I'm starting to realize why people just go with the bag over coil setup. Its probably a lot cheaper.

Last edited by Grouchy; 04-08-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-08-13, 11:17 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does your install include? Is it hiding the whole system in the spare tire well, does it include digital gauges, are you doing accuair with the e-level. There are plenty of variables that can make an install like this justify the 1 to 2 weeks. You also have to remember they estimate worst case scenarios, you would be more pissed if they said 4 days and were unable to meet it. I had the opportunity see Shin work on another persons car and he doesn't cut any corners. Quality usually doesn't come cheap. I had to wait 1 month for my install but i knew the quality was there and it was ordering parts to make it look like a show trunk that took time too. You wont be disappointed with the quality ride from air runner and it is well worth the wait.
Old 04-09-13, 02:19 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

this is my opinion. how you run the lines and how you wire up everything makes a difference. yes the strut change is the easy part. same as coilover. but the heart of the system is really the management itself.

the amount of time it require to do it depend of the quality of the job itself. 1-2 week from airrunner sounds about right. keep in mind other than the actual install. there is alot of things to look over too. such as leaks and all the calibration and setting need to be done.

similar amp installs, tuning take time too...and so is photography. done shooting at the site doesn't mean they are done.
Old 04-09-13, 08:30 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lei_z_ass
What does your install include? Is it hiding the whole system in the spare tire well, does it include digital gauges, are you doing accuair with the e-level. There are plenty of variables that can make an install like this justify the 1 to 2 weeks. You also have to remember they estimate worst case scenarios, you would be more pissed if they said 4 days and were unable to meet it. I had the opportunity see Shin work on another persons car and he doesn't cut any corners. Quality usually doesn't come cheap. I had to wait 1 month for my install but i knew the quality was there and it was ordering parts to make it look like a show trunk that took time too. You wont be disappointed with the quality ride from air runner and it is well worth the wait.
WOW! A month? Didn't think it would be such a big mod to take so long to install. Yeah I wanted to do get the install done in the spare tire well with Accuair.
Old 04-09-13, 09:11 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The biggest part is the management install. I can see it being as fast as a day to install a basic kit but the lines will be a mess and the wiring will be a snake nest. For a quality clean install 1 to 2 weeks is actually short. Most shops work on multiple cars at once. If the shop you are going to is only working on one car it might not be a good shop for the work. Quality man. Quality.
Old 04-09-13, 12:15 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

I'm sure they do quality work, but its hard for me to justify paying 1500 dollars for installation that will still take about 4-5 days. I can't afford to leave my car there for so long since I use my car for work. Paying extra for rental seems counter productive. Might have to consider doing something else instead of getting airbags. Wow I still can't believe it takes so long to install. I was way off.
Old 04-09-13, 12:23 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

PMJI, but can you wait for a while for a more compact installation window to open up? Surely, with adequate notice, your installer can dedicate a block of install time just for your vehicle. Depending on backlog, it may take a month or two before it can be arranged, but if you can wait it should satisfy all parties.
Old 04-09-13, 12:50 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williakz
PMJI, but can you wait for a while for a more compact installation window to open up? Surely, with adequate notice, your installer can dedicate a block of install time just for your vehicle. Depending on backlog, it may take a month or two before it can be arranged, but if you can wait it should satisfy all parties.
Yeah I don't think they can do that. I told them that I couldn't really afford to leave my car there for too long and he said they can do it in 4 days if I paid 200 extra. The mounting in the trunk and ride height sensors apparently take awhile.
Old 04-09-13, 01:25 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Yeah I don't think they can do that. I told them that I couldn't really afford to leave my car there for too long and he said they can do it in 4 days if I paid 200 extra. The mounting in the trunk and ride height sensors apparently take awhile.
Can't hurt to ask for a future scheduled compact install. Worst they can do is say "no" and they just may say "OK." Your need for the car to go to work and the expense associated with a rental are pretty compelling to me. They may think you were asking for an expedited install and therefore charged you extra for it. Once you explain that you're willing to wait until it (compact install) fits their schedule, things may change. In any case, good luck and PMJO.
Old 04-09-13, 09:39 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

I'm considering if I should just go with the coil/cup route. I just exchanged emails with Platinum VIP and they informed me they could have my install done in a weekend. The whole setup including installation would run me 3300 if I bring in my own coils, or 800 if they have to supply them. $4100 for the whole installation vs $8000 for Air Runner seems a bit tempting. The only downside is that I never wanted to ride low. Esp since I live in the pot hole capitol of the U.S. Also when they tell me "Please be advised that our air cups are for off road use only, what you do with them is at your discretion," it kinda throws me off. Haha
Old 04-09-13, 10:10 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah the cups aren't intended to be used while driving. Only to get over things and you'd only want to clear things if you're driving low which is what you dont want to do. Maybe you can have the shop work on your car multiple times and spread out your install. That'll give them a weekend at a time to work on it. I say go buy a beater civic for the month for the install then sell it after. You might actually make some money in the process. Or hell they're only asking $200 for expidited install. That's not bad

Quick Reply: How long did it take to install Air Runner?