LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any product for wood trim scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 05:45 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Any product for wood trim scratches?

Most of my wood trim buffs up nicely with a terry cloth rubdown but my console has some very light "scratches" that won't buff out. The scratch is not deep nor does it penetrate through the wood grain. They are visible when the light hits them in a certain way though. I am sure they came from placing things on the console while driving, I find myself putting my phone or sunglasses there .

Anyone know of a good product to buff that out?

Thanks
Old 04-03-13, 06:47 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
Most of my wood trim buffs up nicely with a terry cloth rubdown but my console has some very light "scratches" that won't buff out. The scratch is not deep nor does it penetrate through the wood grain. They are visible when the light hits them in a certain way though. I am sure they came from placing things on the console while driving, I find myself putting my phone or sunglasses there .

Anyone know of a good product to buff that out?

Thanks
I have been told that applying a very thin layer of wax (like what we use on the paint) will help restore a flush look, but the scratches will reappear over time as the wax wears away. The head detail guy at my dealership said to apply (a very THIN layer) wax to the wood every time you wax your car.

That is only filling in the marks though which I never thought to really be a solution. I have always wondered if something like plastx would work and be more permanent, but I know that it is an abrasive, and if that means breaking down a layer of the coating on the wood to make it look flush, and not knowing how long that will even last worries me. Applying plastx over and over could eventually wear down the coating whereas waxing it is applying something on top of it so I guess I am stuck at where the tradeoff would be with that. I'll end my rambling now, but I figured I would at least share the waxing idea.

-Joe
Old 04-03-13, 07:05 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If it's true that the wood is also coated with clear coat, I'd imagine you could use something like ScratchX to buff them out gently. It's not a very heavy duty compound but it can get out a lot of small swirls and scratches.
Old 04-03-13, 08:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

You can use scratch/swirl removers on the wood. I personally would skip the Scratch X as its pretty aggressive actually, the issue is that uneven application will cause more micromarring. Its also thick, and will get stuck in the trim, etc. I would also trade in the terry cloth towel for a microfiber towel, that is causing marring too. PlastX is also pretty abrasive.

I would get some Plexus:

Vega Plexus Spray Cleaner-7 oz Can (Standard) : Amazon.com : Automotive Vega Plexus Spray Cleaner-7 oz Can (Standard) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Plexus is a great plastic cleaner/polish. It is abrasive, but it is very mild. Its also excellent for the instrument cluster lens, headlight, nav screens, clear bras if you have them. It cleans the wood up nicely, and will help with minor scratches and swirls...