LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

weird shaking problem, but not at nigh.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 07:02 PM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default weird shaking problem, but not at nigh.

I have 2007 LS460 (bought a week ago) with 88000 miles on it. Recently I found a very strange issue, that the car shakes (you can definitely feel it, but not too serious) when I stop at red light.

But the issue goes off at night. It turns out to be the headlight. When I turn on the headlight the car barely shakes, so that's why I do not have the problem at night.

Has anyone else experienced such a weird issue? Is it the alternator's problem? Or the battery? I hope it is not the alternator..

In addition, I brought it in to Lexus dealer and they did a health check. They said they did not find any code and all systems are OK. Does it mean that if they say OK, then at least I will not see big problem right now?

Thanks
Old 03-27-13, 08:23 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Is your AC on in the daytime?
Old 03-28-13, 06:25 AM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wchain
Is your AC on in the daytime?
No but sometimes I can feel the AC blowing some hot air even though it is turned off. (but this happened on my new 2013 Honda accord too), but only a little bit
Old 03-28-13, 06:34 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jj1400
No but sometimes I can feel the AC blowing some hot air even though it is turned off. (but this happened on my new 2013 Honda accord too), but only a little bit
You are probably more **** than i am lol.. I honestly feel like your car is aging and you are starting to feel little things here and there that happen as the car gets closer to 100,000 miles. I mean, i dont know of ANY vehicle that has 100,000 miles and makes zero noises, rattles, loose components, etc, etc as if it were a brand new car. It 's just not feasible. Components wear/tear and at almost 100,000 some parts just wont sound the same even though they are fully functional.
I am coming from a 2008 is250 that had 67k miles when i let go of it, but i felt it was alot more "sturdier" than my 09 ls460. Mind you, my ls460 has 65k HIGHWAY MILES and even though it rides smooth (except with these damn 22s), the is250 gave me the feel that it was going to have alot less problems than this car. It is funny, but that is the truth. I felt like the is250 didnt have any rattling of the dashboard, or slapping noise of the brakes, or worn out control arms, etc. It was a solid little car. My point? Simple, i feel that the larger the vehicle, the more bound to worn out components. It is simple, logical. Think about it, most basketball players that are taller than 7'1 end up with crazy knee problems. It is just a much larger human being than normal. The same applies to vehicles in my opinion.
Old 03-28-13, 07:32 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jj1400
I have 2007 LS460 (bought a week ago) with 88000 miles on it. Recently I found a very strange issue, that the car shakes (you can definitely feel it, but not too serious) when I stop at red light.

But the issue goes off at night. It turns out to be the headlight. When I turn on the headlight the car barely shakes, so that's why I do not have the problem at night.

Has anyone else experienced such a weird issue? Is it the alternator's problem? Or the battery? I hope it is not the alternator..

In addition, I brought it in to Lexus dealer and they did a health check. They said they did not find any code and all systems are OK. Does it mean that if they say OK, then at least I will not see big problem right now?

Thanks
There are several reports of exactly this. Shaking slightly at idle unless either the A/C or headlights are on. It seems to be that its related to either higher engine idle rpm or the slight engine load when lights and A/C are turned ON dampens the vibration

JR
Old 03-28-13, 07:41 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho....php?p=7575087

Another issue could be the valve spring recall on the 2007 LS.

JR
Old 03-29-13, 02:46 PM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I started the other thread referenced above. I have had my car to Lexus twice and to an expert local Lexus mechanic. They all say there is nothing wrong. I have owned LS400 and LS430 and they were perfectly quiet at idle - even with high miles on them. Lexus told me it is because the 460's have a timing chain instead of a timing belt and therefore they cannot get them to idle as smoothly. I end up putting my car in neurtal at lights which raised the idle from 500 to 800 and then it runs smoother. If it was a design issue, then all 460's would idle rough at lights but other owners report their 460 idles very quietly so I don't know what the cause truly is. It is very annoying. I have 2 sons with 2005 Camry's that are quieter at idle.
Old 03-29-13, 03:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

when the AC or headlights are on the car will raise rpm to compensate. With them off the car will idle lower and produce the shake a little. I mentioned this to my rep when I first got mine and they said they couldn't do anything. They ended up doing a reflash on the transmission control unit to fix a weird delay off the line and it got better. Maybe have them check your battery. Its a common issue with the LS although its pretty benign
Old 03-29-13, 09:01 PM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silver305
You are probably more **** than i am lol.. I honestly feel like your car is aging and you are starting to feel little things here and there that happen as the car gets closer to 100,000 miles. I mean, i dont know of ANY vehicle that has 100,000 miles and makes zero noises, rattles, loose components, etc, etc as if it were a brand new car. It 's just not feasible. Components wear/tear and at almost 100,000 some parts just wont sound the same even though they are fully functional.
I am coming from a 2008 is250 that had 67k miles when i let go of it, but i felt it was alot more "sturdier" than my 09 ls460. Mind you, my ls460 has 65k HIGHWAY MILES and even though it rides smooth (except with these damn 22s), the is250 gave me the feel that it was going to have alot less problems than this car. It is funny, but that is the truth. I felt like the is250 didnt have any rattling of the dashboard, or slapping noise of the brakes, or worn out control arms, etc. It was a solid little car. My point? Simple, i feel that the larger the vehicle, the more bound to worn out components. It is simple, logical. Think about it, most basketball players that are taller than 7'1 end up with crazy knee problems. It is just a much larger human being than normal. The same applies to vehicles in my opinion.
Yea I know..I am a little picky about cars. I can live with the idle problem, but I just worry that if i do now do anything, it will end up with some more serious problem..i.e transmission failure. ....
Old 03-29-13, 09:03 PM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by waynedog
I started the other thread referenced above. I have had my car to Lexus twice and to an expert local Lexus mechanic. They all say there is nothing wrong. I have owned LS400 and LS430 and they were perfectly quiet at idle - even with high miles on them. Lexus told me it is because the 460's have a timing chain instead of a timing belt and therefore they cannot get them to idle as smoothly. I end up putting my car in neurtal at lights which raised the idle from 500 to 800 and then it runs smoother. If it was a design issue, then all 460's would idle rough at lights but other owners report their 460 idles very quietly so I don't know what the cause truly is. It is very annoying. I have 2 sons with 2005 Camry's that are quieter at idle.
Exactly the same as what I experienced. When i turned on the headlights, the engines goes to 600, then problem solved..
Old 03-29-13, 09:04 PM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLYCT
There are several reports of exactly this. Shaking slightly at idle unless either the A/C or headlights are on. It seems to be that its related to either higher engine idle rpm or the slight engine load when lights and A/C are turned ON dampens the vibration

JR
The AC will blow some airs even if it is turned off. very annoying ..
Old 03-30-13, 06:23 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I tried to duplicate this on my 07. Could not. Ran smooth at idle with lots of power on and with nothing at all on. Down here in Texas I have the a/c on all the time as it is either hot or cold. No in between. I had not driven the car without the a/c on yet so I enjoyed the experiment.
Old 03-30-13, 12:37 PM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I tried to duplicate this on my 07. Could not. Ran smooth at idle with lots of power on and with nothing at all on. Down here in Texas I have the a/c on all the time as it is either hot or cold. No in between. I had not driven the car without the a/c on yet so I enjoyed the experiment.
how many miles on your 07?
Old 03-30-13, 12:55 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Just turned 60k.
Old 03-30-13, 01:05 PM
jj1400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
Just turned 60k.

yea,,mine has 88k now...Have you changed anything on your car (except for tires,,brakes,,lights....)

Quick Reply: weird shaking problem, but not at nigh.