LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just installed BC Coilovers, rear too still, help?

Old 03-22-13, 04:32 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed BC Coilovers, rear too still, help?

Installed the coilovers , took it for a drive , the rear end is just way to stiff. It seems like there was no rebound at all. We have the setting to softest. When installing the coilovers, the whole spring and shock assy was about 3 inches shorter than the OEM parts. We have to jack up the lower control arm to get it to mount. So my question is , did we get the wrong part ? Is something adjusted wrong? We will try to call BC on Monday but just wanted to see if anyone has had the same issue.
Old 03-22-13, 04:48 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it the regular, or the extreme drop kit? My rears were so much shorter than the stock struts that my guy had to disconect tge swaybar to man-handle the rears to the bolt up location.

When I raise tbe car up with a jack,the tire barely drops down. Do you have custom spring rates?
Old 03-22-13, 06:08 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adamls2
Is it the regular, or the extreme drop kit? My rears were so much shorter than the stock struts that my guy had to disconect tge swaybar to man-handle the rears to the bolt up location.

When I raise tbe car up with a jack,the tire barely drops down. Do you have custom spring rates?

That's what ours looks like. Extreme drop. When we jack up the car the tire doesn't drop either . Forgot what spring rates are . I hope this isn't the way it is because the rear isn't a good feeling.

Does yours ride rough in the rear ?
Old 03-22-13, 08:48 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

The default spring rates for the br series for the LS460 is 12kg front and 8kg rear. Mine is ok,( what I expected it to be), but it's definitely not stock, hahaha! I ordered the rears in 10kg instead of 8kg I would suggest you check the preload setting on the springs,( you can easily find videos on Youtube of how to do it.) If all of that is up to par, then it should be all normal.

Last edited by adamls2; 03-22-13 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-22-13, 09:11 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

does your rear feel like it hops over bumps? Does it have any rebound at all?
Old 03-22-13, 11:58 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Din
does your rear feel like it hops over bumps? Does it have any rebound at all?
Yeah, it does kinda... There's definitely some rebound, but definitely not much of it. When you cranked it to the softest setting, did you turn it all the way up 1st then go down? A lot pf people have recommended that to me when adjusting.
Old 03-24-13, 08:31 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

Im going to try that . I also have the car lowered only right above the tire. Not tucking any tire. Not sure if that would effect anything.
Old 03-24-13, 12:45 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

The heigt shouldn't make a difference in the ride quality for this type of coilover design, but again the preload on the spring is key
Old 03-24-13, 01:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

For going from stock to the extreme drop kit it sounds like you have normal results. You can soften the damping but its not going to give you much. The issue is in how low the car is and how heavy it is.
Old 03-24-13, 05:48 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

does spring preload need to be done with the coilover off the car?

I understand that lowering the car will effect the ride quality but I have a few other cars on coilovers and they are pretty low but the shocks atleast feel like they are damping. On the LS the rear just feels like its super super stiff even at its softest setting. WHen going over a bump i would say the rear shocks would only move like 1/4 inch up and down which gives the car a "low rider car" feel. If the car is heavy wouldnt it want to push the shocks all the way down?
Old 03-24-13, 08:02 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it shouldn't be night and day I have the Megan's and my ride is smooth not choppy or bouncy unless I am at full hard. I think I ride like 16 in the rear and 14 up front, I would check the preload or spring rates!!!!

Last edited by Lextrician; 03-25-13 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 02:35 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Din
does spring preload need to be done with the coilover off the car?

I understand that lowering the car will effect the ride quality but I have a few other cars on coilovers and they are pretty low but the shocks atleast feel like they are damping. On the LS the rear just feels like its super super stiff even at its softest setting. WHen going over a bump i would say the rear shocks would only move like 1/4 inch up and down which gives the car a "low rider car" feel. If the car is heavy wouldnt it want to push the shocks all the way down?
So what did you end up doing?
Old 10-22-13, 02:13 PM
wheelies
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1Putt
So what did you end up doing?
I would like to know also.. Cause i ordered drop kit also with 20mm shorter front and 40mm rear.. Im hoping mine isnt like this..
Old 10-23-13, 12:48 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could one of you guys with the extreme drop mind posting a couple of pics with factory wheels raised to the highest level? Im trying to determine if ill be able to raise my car up high enough with the extreme drop in the winter. I would just get the regular length bc racing coilovers but supposably the rear doesnt allow you to lower much.
Old 10-23-13, 10:56 AM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by is150
Could one of you guys with the extreme drop mind posting a couple of pics with factory wheels raised to the highest level? Im trying to determine if ill be able to raise my car up high enough with the extreme drop in the winter. I would just get the regular length bc racing coilovers but supposably the rear doesnt allow you to lower much.
Sorry I dont have any pictures but I tried raising my extreme drops to the highest level and its not much. Good luck, I hope this helps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed BC Coilovers, rear too still, help?