LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460, how long should it last?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-15, 08:40 AM
samj601
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R Z
Congrats on the new car. I hope you love it half as much as I love mine. You will have lots of issues so be prepared! You'll have to change the windshield wipers, eventually the tires & worst of all the battery!!!!! (curse those Lexus bastages for not making them last the life of the car!).

Enjoy!
Lol. Thanks for the heads up.

Yea, I cant wait. Its scheduled to be delivered sometime next week. Its a drastic change from my other car (2006 Lancer Evolution).
Old 05-25-15, 10:30 AM
mundher44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 08 LS460 in 2011 with 50k miles on it..
I drive it everyday to work..
it has 95k miles on it now and still running like brand new..
I took good care of it and never had any problems except when I paid almost $3000 to replace the faulty brake actuator and brake booster..
its a manufacturing defect.. overall very good car
Old 05-25-15, 03:15 PM
azzkicker
Driver School Candidate

Default How lucky, and how much will you spend?

My 2007 LS460L has 91,000 miles on it and it's been a complete money pit and it needs to go to the dealer tomorrow because apparently changing the spark plugs yourself can cause the computer to lose it's mind (resetting as they say in this forum didn't work). I would put the reliability right up there with an oldsmobile from the 80s, but the repair costs are much higher. The upside is it drives really nice with lots of power, and the ladies like to ride in it. I love the car, but every time I drive it, there's a new problem and every time I touch something under the hood, plastic is breaking off.

I'm planning to put mine up for sale if I can keep it out of the shop long enough to post an ad.

Here's a few of the things off the top of my head:

Water leak from the heat exchanger under the intake manifold
Water pump went out
Pulley tension mechanism came apart
Upper and lower control arm bushings up front came apart ($8,800). Dealer said these go out at about 80,000 to 100,000 miles. I've seen people claim to replace the bushings, but Lexus says they can't. I had an extended warranty that replaced them (and they got the dealer to do it much cheaper than they quoted me).
Brake sensor went bad
Fluids, plugs, etc about $2200
Two headlights, $400 each at the dealer, but buying off the internet can be done.

I had a 2006 ES300 that was truly trouble free for 130,000 miles and still was when I sold it. I don't think the 460 is built with the same intent. I think it's a sexy car, and if you have to ask how much it costs to maintain, you can't afford it.

I see a lot of people with lots of miles on these things, but from reading the threads they're doing a lot of work and spending money $1500 at a time like it's buying dinner.

I hope your well-maintained rig will have much less problem than mine, but I don't see how much of what's gone wrong could have been the previous owner's lack of maintenance. What maintenance prevents a water pump failure at 86,000 miles? What maintenance prevents a heat exchanger leaking? What prevents the bushings wearing out in the control arms, if the dealer says they all do it (maybe smoother roads).

I don't think anything I've seen go wrong is something that was preventable by better care.
Old 05-25-15, 03:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by azzkicker
My 2007 LS460L has 91,000 miles on it and it's been a complete money pit and it needs to go to the dealer tomorrow because apparently changing the spark plugs yourself can cause the computer to lose it's mind (resetting as they say in this forum didn't work).

I don't think anything I've seen go wrong is something that was preventable by better care.
LMAO. You used the wrong spark plugs! You said yourself they didn't fit and they screwed up the car. Thats not the car's fault, and certainly something that was preventable by better care.

Control arms on that vintage 460 are a known problem. As for the water pump...water pumps fail. Our 2004 Prius had a failed water pump at about 65k miles. My friend's 2011 GS350 has had 2 or three water pumps fail. Just one of those hit or miss things.
Old 05-25-15, 03:49 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Buys wrong spark plugs, blames car.
Old 05-25-15, 03:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I put diesel fuel in the car and now its spitting and smoking and knocking. What a POS!

2 headlights...really? The car is 8 years old you don't expect to have to replace headlamp bulbs? Even HID headlamps don't last forever.
Old 05-25-15, 04:05 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I put diesel fuel in the car and now its spitting and smoking and knocking. What a POS!

2 headlights...really? The car is 8 years old you don't expect to have to replace headlamp bulbs? Even HID headlamps don't last forever.
It's funnier that he spent $400 per headlight, yet he cheaps out on sparkplugs.
Old 05-25-15, 04:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My 2007 LS460L has 91,000 miles on it and it's been a complete money pit and it needs to go to the dealer tomorrow because apparently changing the spark plugs yourself can cause the computer to lose it's mind (resetting as they say in this forum didn't work). I would put the reliability right up there with an oldsmobile from the 80s, but the repair costs are much higher. The upside is it drives really nice with lots of power, and the ladies like to ride in it. I love the car, but every time I drive it, there's a new problem and every time I touch something under the hood, plastic is breaking off.

I'm planning to put mine up for sale if I can keep it out of the shop long enough to post an ad.

Water pump went out
Upper and lower control arm bushings up front came apart ($8,800). Dealer said these go out at about 80,000 to 100,000 miles. I've seen people claim to replace the bushings, but Lexus says they can't. I had an extended warranty that replaced them (and they got the dealer to do it much cheaper than they quoted me).
Brake sensor went bad
Two headlights, $400 each at the dealer, but buying off the internet can be done.

I had a 2006 ES300 that was truly trouble free for 130,000 miles and still was when I sold it. I don't think the 460 is built with the same intent. I think it's a sexy car, and if you have to ask how much it costs to maintain, you can't afford it.

I see a lot of people with lots of miles on these things, but from reading the threads they're doing a lot of work and spending money $1500 at a time like it's buying dinner.

I hope your well-maintained rig will have much less problem than mine, but I don't see how much of what's gone wrong could have been the previous owner's lack of maintenance. What maintenance prevents a water pump failure at 86,000 miles? What maintenance prevents a heat exchanger leaking? What prevents the bushings wearing out in the control arms, if the dealer says they all do it (maybe smoother roads).

I'll try to be a little gentler....

Look, you can't complain about replacing a water pump on a car that has 86k miles on it. I think the only vehicle I've ever owned that didn't need a water pump was my 7 series Beemer, (but it was a POS in every other way). I replaced mine in a couple of hours and it cost me 55 bucks plus a gallon of coolant. Big deal.

Bushings.....they are made of rubber, they wear out. I've replaced those on my Acura, my BMW X5and my mustang. It happens. It's only expensive if you decide to go through a dealer. the repair/freplacement can be done for 300-800 dollars depending on whether you do it yourself or take it to an indy. Fluids, plugs, coolant, brakes, battery etc are all wear items and I won't even go there. As for the manifold leak, that's the first I've heard of that, but hey... I was the only one here at CL who had to replace mufflers (400 dollars all in), so it can happen.

As I said on another thread, you have the worst luck of anyone I've ever seen post on CL.

This is by far the nicest and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I have 144k kms (about 90k miles). So far...battery, mufflers and a water pump.... for a grand sum of 550 dollars. Color me happy.
Old 05-25-15, 07:09 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I filled my gas tank up with sand and rocks, now they say I need a new gas tank, these LS 460's are pieces of junk.

Hey any of you guys know how to fix a gas tank? I bought a suitcase at Walmart that I could of sworn was a gas tank, now I have to take the damn thing out. Please I need help.
Old 05-25-15, 07:51 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Water pump went out
Brake sensor went bad

I'll try to be gentle as well.

Changing the spark plugs doesn't cause the computer to lose it's mind. Putting in the wrong ones however does.
Water pumps happen. Cheap fix
Bushings go, can be done cheap
Fluids, plugs and headlights? Really?

Let's face reality here. You screwed up and put the wrong plugs in. You paid 400 bucks for headlights? They saw you coming. You cannot bad mouth the car for wear items letting go and mistakes you made.

Does my car make me angry sometimes with little rattles or something? Yes absolutely. But I'm not going to act like its a pile of crap because of it. It is a great car. Either learn to work on it yourself or pay someone else. The dealership isn't the only place that can fix the car. And if I get 86K miles out of my water pump I'll be happy as hell.
Old 05-25-15, 08:11 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Water pump went out
Brake sensor went bad

This forum has been informative, educational and a money saver thankfully through guys willing to share what they have learned, and posting their DIY projects step by step. An absolute wealth of information for guys like me. Post a question, and you get an informed answer - from someone who's been there, and done that. Awesome forum!
Old 05-25-15, 08:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I filled my gas tank up with sand and rocks, now they say I need a new gas tank, these LS 460's are pieces of junk.

Hey any of you guys know how to fix a gas tank? I bought a suitcase at Walmart that I could of sworn was a gas tank, now I have to take the damn thing out. Please I need help.
Hahahaha! You guys are alright lol
Old 05-25-15, 08:26 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I have nothing to add.
Next time save something for me.
Old 05-26-15, 06:42 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by retlex
This forum has been informative, educational and a money saver thankfully through guys willing to share what they have learned, and posting their DIY projects step by step. An absolute wealth of information for guys like me. Post a question, and you get an informed answer - from someone who's been there, and done that. Awesome forum!
Yep. The original poster can take some solace in the old saying "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."
Old 05-27-15, 10:20 PM
azzkicker
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine lasted about 200 miles, 6 grand later I have a paperweight

I've been pumping money into this car since the moment I bought it, now it's broke down at the lexus dealer and the cheapest option they have is $14,600 to put a used engine in it with 80,000 miles on it.

I tried to save a few bucks and change my own spark plugs (after paying the dealer to fix water leaks, a water pump, pulley tensioner, all new control arms, and I'm sure stuff I've forgotten.

I didn't leave the plugs out or anything, but apparently something was in the cavity with the plug and fell in. It put dings in the piston and head, and apparently banged up the valves. The dealer says they can't repair it. A new engine is something like 20 grand plus labor, so they suggest a used one.

I hope yours lasts. Everything on this car is finicky and crazy expensive to fix. Good luck.

Anybody want an LS460L with a luxury package, new control arms, new brakes, new tires, new water pump, new battery, new belt tensioner, new fluids, 96,000 miles and a bad engine?

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460, how long should it last?