LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Randomly shut down

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 07:06 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Randomly shut down

today as I was driving on the freeway my radio randomly shut down and turned back on. it was a complete power down as if I was turning the car on. I believe I seen the dash also do a system check. I also think I felt the power steering turn on and off for a split second. very odd. I almost feel the entire car shut down for a split second. anyone else experience this?
Old 02-28-13, 07:19 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a warranty? That would freak me out.
Old 02-28-13, 11:28 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
Do you have a warranty? That would freak me out.
Yeah my warranty is good til 100k. I just need to find time to have them look at it. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
Old 02-28-13, 12:13 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Time is what I need as well. I think I have two blown speakers and a window trim issue.
Old 02-28-13, 01:20 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh man, that is crazy! That is extremely dangerous. Don't play with that and get into dealer asap since you are on CPO. Don't let them tell you its the 22s either...how old is your battery? When my battery was on its way out on my '07 460, the car was acting hella strange..making the brakes act funny (not sure how) and some other random crap...these cars are amazing but once something starts acting up, it is the most random thing causing it
Old 02-28-13, 01:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Stuff like this sounds like a warning sign. Loos of power while driving can be very dangerous. Time to take an afternoon off and get it in or simply take it in early in the morning and take the loaner to work.
Old 02-28-13, 09:23 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Oh man, that is crazy! That is extremely dangerous. Don't play with that and get into dealer asap since you are on CPO. Don't let them tell you its the 22s either...how old is your battery? When my battery was on its way out on my '07 460, the car was acting hella strange..making the brakes act funny (not sure how) and some other random crap...these cars are amazing but once something starts acting up, it is the most random thing causing it
my battery was replaced oct 2011
Old 03-01-13, 12:52 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah take that in but you already know what they gonna say. Cant duplicate the problem. Check your grounds.
Old 03-01-13, 03:46 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lextrician
Yeah take that in but you already know what they gonna say. Cant duplicate the problem. Check your grounds.
I already know it
Old 03-01-13, 03:56 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
my battery was replaced oct 2011
I think CJITTY has given you some very good advice. You should remove the battery from your car and take it to a major battery dealer, a business that is equipped with the latest battery diagnostic tools, and have it tested and charged. Be sure to explain to them what happened to your car.

Interstate Batteries has locations throughout the US. There are other major battery dealers too. Here is a link to locate Interstate Battery Dealers: http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...03011753537380

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-01-13 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-02-13, 04:38 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Had some weird stuff happen to me as well when the battery was low. My battery was changed by the dealer in 2011 as well and started acting funny back in late Dec. First was the lowering module raising and lowering the car on its own, then I got a "clean front sonar sensor" on the display while backing up. Took the battery in to be checked and it was the issue. New battery and all problems fixed.
Old 03-03-13, 04:31 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I was going to post to have you check the battery, but then I thought that probably isn't it. Now after reading the above posts, I say " check the battery". I had a 300ZX that did something similar and it was the battery.
Old 03-19-13, 08:22 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so I had to drop my car off at the dealer. In the past 2 days the radio shut down twice. I also got this error message while parking. Electrical Equipment operation is limited. The electronic steering would stiffen up for a slight second. As if I wasn't getting enough juice.

Old 03-19-13, 08:24 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

The service writer said it could be the alternator or battery...though my battery test came back good the last time I had the car serviced.
Old 03-19-13, 10:12 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn man...report back to us with the issue! That is some scary stuff... hopefully it's just a bad alternator, and nothing beyond that.

Quick Reply: Randomly shut down