LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Well **** me...look what my stupidity did... LOL

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 08:29 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Well **** me...look what my stupidity did... LOL

Just got the rear fenders shaved, so I put on the back wheels to test drive around the block to see if it was still rubbing, and also to see if I needed to do more fender modifying. I put the the 72 to 60.1 hub rings on for the 1st time to make sure there was no vibration as well. I'm not really experienced with this stuff at all, so what happened to the right side was that the polyurethane ring didn't line up to the hub correctly, and I guess I tightened it all back up with it installed incorrectly....must of popped out while I was trying to line up the studs to the holes... So I torqued everything up and went for a test drive around the block probably for 5 minutes and noticed a slight wobble,(only went up to about 25mph).

Once I got back and looked at both sides, I noticed the right side was poking out more than the left side. I then immediately knew that the ring wasn't sitting on the hub correctly. I took off the wheel and noticed one nut was REALLY hard to get out, and a lot of metal shaving came out with it as well. I must of over torqued that nut since it was not correctly lined up to the hub. So a bent or stripped stud is the result LOL!

The ring is all ****ed up so I got one of the others and very carefully re-installed the wheel...it was then correct lined up to the other side. I wasn't able to put one of the nuts all the on that bad stud again, so I guess I probably need a new stud... On a positive note its not rubbing anymore though

So my question is how hard is it to replace that stud? I really don't have much knowledge about this, so any input is helpful. I went ahead and ordered a new lug stud from eBay for 4 bucks.

Here's some pics I took of the wheel sticking out...

And the messed up hub ring...

The rear stance after I installed the wheel correctly...

Not a big problem, but still a small PITA. Also, a good lesson learned for the future, and I thought I would give those that are going to put on hub rings a heads up.

Also, a huge shout out to Stefan at Elite custom auto body here in Jacksonville for doing some amazing work on my fenders. He's the go to guy for this stuff in the area. I'll post some pics tomorrow of the shaved fenders...there's much more clearance now!

Last edited by adamls2; 02-16-13 at 12:59 AM. Reason: iPhone+proper grammar = impossible
Old 02-15-13, 09:03 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not to hard, a small hammer will do the trick.
Old 02-15-13, 10:38 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hammer the stud out intall new one preferable with some washers to suck it back in the fronts are easy the rears can only be done through the hole.

Last edited by Lextrician; 02-16-13 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-16-13, 12:56 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Been looking at some "how to" videos on Youtube and it seems pretty straight forward...I've been thinking also, I think it might be a good idea to glue the hub rings inside the wheel to avoid this problem in the future...especially if someone other than me is taking the wheel on and off...
Old 02-16-13, 05:31 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Adam..noooo..dont glue the rings. No need. Good and tight hub rings can be easily hammered in slightly withba rubber mallet. But, they will pop out after removing center caps and using a flathead tip with a hit on the rubber mallet. Thats how my Vossens are. I had a stud replaced on my TL for $25 by an ind mechanic..its worth it to save time if you havent done it before. If the hub rings are not snug in the wheel..you most likely are just .mm off..they should not be super loose to where they fall right out. Plus..many installers prefer to balance wheels without hub ring since the balancer already has the centering spindle when they tighten it up to the machine..call me if you need more info lil homie
Old 02-16-13, 12:23 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You really won't feel anything if you don't put a ring on the rears. More so the front. But the rear...you can't feel those vibrations all too much.
Old 02-16-13, 01:35 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Adam..noooo..dont glue the rings. No need. Good and tight hub rings can be easily hammered in slightly withba rubber mallet. But, they will pop out after removing center caps and using a flathead tip with a hit on the rubber mallet. Thats how my Vossens are. I had a stud replaced on my TL for $25 by an ind mechanic..its worth it to save time if you havent done it before. If the hub rings are not snug in the wheel..you most likely are just .mm off..they should not be super loose to where they fall right out. Plus..many installers prefer to balance wheels without hub ring since the balancer already has the centering spindle when they tighten it up to the machine..call me if you need more info lil homie
Hahaha, ok I won't glue them in...my rings do fit nice and snug, but since my fat *** struggle to get the wheel on a stud probably caught it and pulled it out a bit. ( i'm slowly getting better at this lol)

I will most likely hit up my local tire shop to put the stud in. Good info about tbe balancing though^^^

Originally Posted by lbintab
You really won't feel anything if you don't put a ring on the rears. More so the front. But the rear...you can't feel those vibrations all too much.
That's what iv'e been reading around on other forums. I think i'll try them with and without them to see if it really does make a difference, but the LS is so smooth and quiet that you are bound to be a bit picky on some vibrations when I had the Vossens on they vibrated quite a bit without the rings...
Old 02-16-13, 09:29 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Rings all around FTW..rears vibrating the seats and seat backs is just as annoying