LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

OEM Air Suspension ride height links below car..adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 01:43 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhoang
Actually the bracket doesn't need to be turned at all.
The purpose of turning the bracket is to bring the link down (clockwise in that pic). That bracket should stay in that hole because if that isn't, then you have two pivoting pieces which can possibly confuse the ECU.

See the diagram below. The piece that is not pictured in my original picture is another bracket that pivots. By lengthening or shortening the link, it will push the bracket up or down respectively.
Jay, props for putting the diagram together my dude, but if someone didn't know what we were talking about and saw that picture, they would have jokes all day..especially because of the lower half of the diagram ROFLMAO!!
Old 02-25-13, 02:30 PM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yes, the screen just says:

NORMAL
SELECT

I leave it just like that when I go on road trips or going to be driving the car all over town over bad roads and such. When I am doing my daily back and forth on roads I know, I leave mine on memory position 4 which for me is 4 front, 3 rear, which to me is right on the line to where any lower it really doesn't ride as nice. I guess if you wanted to test, preset your memory position one to like 5 all around. Let it get to that level. Then dial up on the arrow to get NORMAL SELECT and the car should raise to stock height...my guess is that the controller is in a neutral state awaiting input..again, just going off the word NORMAL being used. I could be a coincidence, I don't know. I wish I could get that entire manual translated becuase I am trying to figure out what speedometer thing is all about. I left that unplugged..I guess you can trigger the levels at certain speeds or something..i dunno.

My Memory Settings are:
Normal Select I assume is 0 Front, 0 Rear
Memory 1 is 1 Front, 0 Rear
Memory 2 is 2 Front, 1 Rear
Memory 3 is 3 Front, 2 Rear
Memory 4 is 4 Front, 3 Rear
Memory 5 is Super Low mode for meets, etc
Interesting. I'll actually try that today!

As far as the speedometer thing goes - it doesn't work because the cable is left unconnected. If you attach it, the car will not allow you adjust the height while driving. So that's why it's left untouched - you could either have it to tell you what speed you're going (which is useless cause you have your speedometer) or you could adjust height while driving.
Old 02-25-13, 05:18 PM
96zenki
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey jay i saw on your blog that you said you were unable to use your controller after you played around with the sensor in the rear, were you able to fix the issue?
Old 02-25-13, 05:50 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by 96zenki
hey jay i saw on your blog that you said you were unable to use your controller after you played around with the sensor in the rear, were you able to fix the issue?
Oh snap..what?? I missed that
Old 02-25-13, 05:55 PM
CJITTY

Interesting. I'll actually try that today!

As far as the speedometer thing goes - it doesn't work because the cable is left unconnected. If you attach it, the car will not allow you adjust the height while driving. So that's why it's left untouched - you could either have it to tell you what speed you're going (which is useless cause you have your speedometer) or you could adjust height while driving.
Oh wow..good to know!! That would suck not being able to adjust on the fly. I never go more than one or two levels while driving..my biggest issue with the controller is that it doesnt dim or turn off when there is no input from you..seems it would help extend the controller life perhaps
Old 02-25-13, 07:03 PM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 96zenki
Yes, I did get it resolved.
I'm not sure whether it's the adjusting of the sensors or if it was something else but after I adjusted the links, the front passenger raised back to stock but all other three corners just didn't want to do anything. I originally had it lowered it down to super L and when I tried to raise it back to anything - stock, 0, 1, 2, 3,4, 5, 6, 7... It did not want to move or adjust.

After getting a little frustrated, I took it out for a drive - uneven, and I parked and tried to bring it back down to super L again and it went. I then tried again to raise it back up and voila - it did.

I'm not sure if it just takes some driving around to get it to notice that the corners are uneven, but it was definitely frustrating.
Old 02-25-13, 07:26 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The purpose of turning the bracket is to bring the link down (clockwise in that pic). That bracket should stay in that hole because if that isn't, then you have two pivoting pieces which can possibly confuse the ECU.

See the diagram below. The piece that is not pictured in my original picture is another bracket that pivots. By lengthening or shortening the link, it will push the bracket up or down respectively.
So the link is basically a turnbuckle as I thought? Do I shorten it or lengthen it to lower the car?

BTW, awesome diagram. Didn't see the X rated graphics until someone pointed it out to me. Thanks!!!
Old 02-25-13, 07:41 PM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pmiller
So the link is basically a turnbuckle as I thought? Do I shorten it or lengthen it to lower the car?

BTW, awesome diagram. Didn't see the X rated graphics until someone pointed it out to me. Thanks!!!
Correct. This is where I'm not sure which way to go - as per the original post by yottabyte, he states that the bracket should turn clockwise on the passenger side front to lower it. That would mean you would technically shorten the link to mimic the same thing as turning the bracket.

I shortened it by 6 threads and there was no change. That could have been too little of a change, but it wasn't noticeable so I put it back and left it as is.

LOL I know I didn't notice the dirty pic either...
Old 02-25-13, 08:12 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is yottabyte? It's his OP the one that started all this?
Old 02-25-13, 09:34 PM
CJITTY

If anything, I just want to change the front to lower it a little more than an inch so it sits a little better at normal height
Old 02-25-13, 09:55 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
If anything, I just want to change the front to lower it a little more than an inch so it sits a little better at normal height
AWD LS's can't go as low as the non-awd LS's correct? If you can adjust the front about an inch, like you mentioned, it would be a really good solution for lowering the AWD air-equipped LS's.

On another note, this thread has inspired me to attempt to lower my benz. Lowering links are only 150 bucks for that car, but I'm interested in going underneath and seeing if there's something similar to this.
Old 02-26-13, 05:45 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I tried turning the threaded rod and it wouldnt turn. I was thinking of using pliers or a vicegrip and try and turn it but didnt want to mess up the thread. Now Im thinking that maybe if that works, you can actually thread a nut half way up the threaded rod and tack weld it in place. Then use a wrench that would fit to make your adjustments. Hmmmmmmm.
Old 02-26-13, 06:08 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 305Busa
I tried turning the threaded rod and it wouldnt turn. I was thinking of using pliers or a vicegrip and try and turn it but didnt want to mess up the thread. Now Im thinking that maybe if that works, you can actually thread a nut half way up the threaded rod and tack weld it in place. Then use a wrench that would fit to make your adjustments. Hmmmmmmm.
There should be two nuts on the link - one on the top and one on the bottom. You have to loosen the nuts before you're able to lengthen and shorten the link. The nut acts as a lock so it doesn't move - similar to a coilover.
Old 02-26-13, 01:16 PM
CJITTY

Yall talkin about vice grippin and welding things....just like on Shark Tank..."and for that reason, I'm out" lol
Old 02-26-13, 03:50 PM
minnyminh
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
I tried turning the threaded rod and it wouldnt turn. I was thinking ofusing pliers or a vicegrip and try and turn it but didnt want to mess up the thread. Now Im thinking that maybe if that works, you can actually thread a nut half way up the threaded rod and tack weld it in place. Then use a wrench that would fit to make your adjustments. Hmmmmmmm.
Make sure you turn it in the direction you would normally tighten a bolt. It's backwards on the links.

Quick Reply: OEM Air Suspension ride height links below car..adjustable?