LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TPMS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 06:51 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TPMS Problem

I did a quick search and couldnt find any answers so hopefully you all could give me some insight.

I took out the spare tire in my LS since I now have 22s and I redid my audio set up which now has the amp in the spare tire well. However, after they installed my new system I was driving and I now get "Check Tire Pressure System" At first I thought my rims had a flat but Im pretty sure it was because I removed the spare and its only reading 4 wheels now. I took it to the dealer and a tech said no way to remove the light on my dash, but I think there must be some way?

Having an 08 600 my trunk is really small so having my big amp in the wheel well saves me some space and looks very clean.
Old 01-23-13, 07:19 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That shouldn't have triggered it. If the car doesn't see the spare it just won't register it on the cluster. Try playing with it. Put the spare near the car and see if it'll go away.
Old 01-23-13, 11:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
That shouldn't have triggered it. If the car doesn't see the spare it just won't register it on the cluster. Try playing with it. Put the spare near the car and see if it'll go away.
it will trigger. absence of a (or all) tpms from the 5 programmed ones and it will trigger system error code
Old 01-24-13, 05:21 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious
I did a quick search and couldnt find any answers so hopefully you all could give me some insight.

I took out the spare tire in my LS since I now have 22s and I redid my audio set up which now has the amp in the spare tire well. However, after they installed my new system I was driving and I now get "Check Tire Pressure System" At first I thought my rims had a flat but Im pretty sure it was because I removed the spare and its only reading 4 wheels now. I took it to the dealer and a tech said no way to remove the light on my dash, but I think there must be some way?

Having an 08 600 my trunk is really small so having my big amp in the wheel well saves me some space and looks very clean.
I think it is the case of a "non-reporting sensor" (because the spare sensor is gone) and seems like the way it works is that if any of the five sensors fail to report for 30 minutes then it is considered a system failure. Normally the sensors report the tire pressures every 30 seconds or minute or so but for lots of different reasons the car can miss some of those reports without sensing a problem. You can test this for yourself by taking your spare out and leaving it in the garage. If the car gets a pressure report from the spare before you drive away then if you continue to drive you will have 5 pressures displayed until the 30 minute mark and then system alarm. Then if you stop, out of range of the spare, and turn your ignition off and then restart the car you will have four pressures displayed and the fifth display will show something like "checking" until the 30 minute mark and then it will display system alarm.

If you started in your garage with one sensor not reporting then you would have 4 pressures displayed and the fifth sensor would show "checking" until you have driven 30 minutes and then system alarm.

A flat tire is not a non-reporting sensor - it is a sensor reporting a low pressure.
Old 01-24-13, 07:27 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Reaffirming what rominl stated above, the removal of the spare will absolutely trigger the error code. I played with this idea while swapping a new set of TPMS at the dealership one night; also toying with the idea of also putting an amp rack inside the spare tire wheel well. TPMS lights and sensor lit up within 30 sec - 1 min of driving.

Unfortunately I think the only way to work around this is to have the TPMS "bomb" made to trick the sensors (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3173139-post1.html)
Old 01-24-13, 02:41 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

TPMS bomb for sure..you can get a used sensor part # PMV 107J from ebay for real cheap and follow the instructions on how to make the device to put it in. Discount Tire might be able to program that one sensor in the tmps bomb back into the car on the cheap...or if you can have a shop scan the sensor ID of the TPMS, you can contact Orange TPMS and provide them that ID code so they can send you one of their sensors pre flashed with the same spare sensor ID ..that way you don't have to worrry about reprogramming if you can't get that done for free..just a thought
Old 01-24-13, 08:33 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess i was wrong. Question...do your wheels have dual valve stems? If they do you can install your spare tire sensor on the second valve stem. Not sure if your wheels do. I know a hand full of wheels i was looking at had 2 for nitrogen filled tires. One is to fill and the other is to bleed out regular air.