LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs Audi A5

Old 05-16-14, 03:57 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LS460 vs Audi A5

Been thinking about trading for a A5 and most likley a convertible. Any members here have both or please give me your thoughts on the two cars. Don't hold anything back!
Old 05-16-14, 04:24 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't compare the two cars! They are both completely different animals. 2-door sporty coupe/convertible verses a big land yacht. lol

I've driven the S5 and size-wise it's not so bad, but the rear seat is a pain. The LS460 comes in 4 main configurations depending on how aggressive or executive you want to be (460, 460 Sport, 460L, 600HL)

You need to figure out what you want to live with for the next little while. Ultimately what kind of service/breakdowns do you want to avoid. (and i realize recently Audi's have been getting better)

you can also see that the A5 Convertible is more than a second slower than the LS as well to 60! http://www.zeroto60times.com/Audi-0-60-mph-Times.html
Old 05-16-14, 05:25 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

This is not an apples to apples comparison both cars are in different classes and total opposites in their design purposes. Like Petebabes said you will have to decide on do you want a sports car or a luxury flagship, I would weigh the pros & cons of both cars and the one that I'm the most passionate about wins.
Old 05-16-14, 07:01 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed with Tee and Peteybabes
Old 05-16-14, 09:22 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The LS460 is more comparable to the A8 than the A5. Consumer reports likes the Audis but their reliability is much worse than the Lexus.
Old 05-16-14, 11:48 AM
FTYHAN
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 S5 Cabrio and a 2007 LS460L. I'm selling the S5. The S5 is fun for the first 3 months, then it because just obnoxious. No, I'm not 65yo. I just turned 29. Forget the A5. Interior is your basic A4 which is a horrible econo car wearing a $40k price tag. There's no refinement and the zoom zoom factor isn't even in the A5, only the S5 in SPORT mode. Even regular DRIVE in the S5 is a sluggish MPG sell out. In order to have any fun in the S5 you'd end up getting 12mpg, which is what I got consistently. (24mpg all freeway).

Bottom line is, you'd get tired of the A5/S5 fairly quickly. LS460 is a keeper. Quiet, competent, meticulous. I've always had 2 cars in the garage and before the LS it was an A8L. After getting the LS, I don't even need a zoom zoom sports car, at least not an S5. An uncompromising 5-600hp monster? Maybe. But A5/S5 is a halfway car. Too slow to be a sports car, but too compromising to be a luxury cruiser. All looks, no substance. (S5 is on consignment, replaced with 1989 Jeep Wagoneer )
Old 05-16-14, 04:51 PM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by FTYHAN
I have a 2010 S5 Cabrio and a 2007 LS460L. I'm selling the S5. The S5 is fun for the first 3 months, then it because just obnoxious. No, I'm not 65yo. I just turned 29. Forget the A5. Interior is your basic A4 which is a horrible econo car wearing a $40k price tag. There's no refinement and the zoom zoom factor isn't even in the A5, only the S5 in SPORT mode. Even regular DRIVE in the S5 is a sluggish MPG sell out. In order to have any fun in the S5 you'd end up getting 12mpg, which is what I got consistently. (24mpg all freeway).

Bottom line is, you'd get tired of the A5/S5 fairly quickly. LS460 is a keeper. Quiet, competent, meticulous. I've always had 2 cars in the garage and before the LS it was an A8L. After getting the LS, I don't even need a zoom zoom sports car, at least not an S5. An uncompromising 5-600hp monster? Maybe. But A5/S5 is a halfway car. Too slow to be a sports car, but too compromising to be a luxury cruiser. All looks, no substance. (S5 is on consignment, replaced with 1989 Jeep Wagoneer )
Great first post. Welcome aboard

I love the look of the last A8.
Old 05-16-14, 06:49 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Just the opinion I was looking for. Thanks!

Old 05-18-14, 05:21 AM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2010 S5 Cabrio and a 2007 LS460L. I'm selling the S5. The S5 is fun for the first 3 months, then it because just obnoxious. No, I'm not 65yo. I just turned 29. Forget the A5. Interior is your basic A4 which is a horrible econo car wearing a $40k price tag. There's no refinement and the zoom zoom factor isn't even in the A5, only the S5 in SPORT mode. Even regular DRIVE in the S5 is a sluggish MPG sell out. In order to have any fun in the S5 you'd end up getting 12mpg, which is what I got consistently. (24mpg all freeway). Bottom line is, you'd get tired of the A5/S5 fairly quickly. LS460 is a keeper. Quiet, competent, meticulous. I've always had 2 cars in the garage and before the LS it was an A8L. After getting the LS, I don't even need a zoom zoom sports car, at least not an S5. An uncompromising 5-600hp monster? Maybe. But A5/S5 is a halfway car. Too slow to be a sports car, but too compromising to be a luxury cruiser. All looks, no substance. (S5 is on consignment, replaced with 1989 Jeep Wagoneer )
What are your thoughts on the 460 vs the A8L?
Old 05-18-14, 06:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

I got away from German cars and into the Lexus due to reliability issues. I am in no hurry (if ever) to get back into one. I will stick to a known reliable car from now on. Too much drama otherwise. CR states that Audi reliability is on the rise, but I believe it's still way too early to tell. On the Audi forums, there is nothing good being said about them.
Old 05-18-14, 10:21 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Thanks Roadfrog!

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I got away from German cars and into the Lexus due to reliability issues. I am in no hurry (if ever) to get back into one. I will stick to a known reliable car from now on. Too much drama otherwise. CR states that Audi reliability is on the rise, but I believe it's still way too early to tell. On the Audi forums, there is nothing good being said about them.
Old 05-18-14, 10:22 AM
FTYHAN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PrinceAkim
What are your thoughts on the 460 vs the A8L?
Two different animals. The A8L performed like sleek locomotive on the road. It ate the 550 mile road trip (one way) I do every month like a champ. You get out of the car and you know it barely even broke a sweat. Through the twisties it just sat and settled into every corner. The Quattro is something I definitely miss. I would drive it up to Lake Tahoe for skiing and it drove through the snow just like it would a bone dry road in Vegas (where I live). The LS460L, I would say is more of a land yacht. It coddles and pampers. It doesn't do the corners with as much confidence, but it definitely is CAPABLE. It definitely rolls into a corner rather than sits if you do it in the A8L speeds, makes you cringe a bit but still does the corner without any problem.

I don't think I miss the A8L after having the LS. The ride is just HARD to beat. I've been toying with the idea of going from stock to 22" forged, but just can't bring myself to ruin the ride, even a little bit. If you live in areas with extreme weather, there's nothing better than the Quattro and the confidence the A8 brings to the table. I live in Vegas where roads are smooth and wide, and weather is only 20 days out of the year.

As for the maintenance, I'm a bit annoyed with the LS needing an oil change ever 3-5k miles. The A8L would go 8K miles between oil changes. I put 155K miles on the A8L before selling it. That being said, maintenance wasn't that bad. I got used to the $500-1000 trips to the dealership towards the end, but that's just the car at 130K+ miles. I NEVER broke down, over heated (even in Vegas heat), suffered electrical issues, etc. So I'd say it's fairly well built. LS maintenance isn't necessarily that much cheaper, but hopefully it proves just as problem free as the A8L.

Refinement, the LS takes the cake. However they approach it with a big difference. The A8L tries to predict what its occupant needs, then goes about it with unprecedented and untested appointments. Some you like, some is just over engineering. The LS checks all the boxes with absolute quality. Nothing more, nothing less. Whatever is over engineering in the A8 today is going to be a welcome refinement in the LS in 2 years.

If you're the one that needs to keep up with the jones', the A8 is forefront of tech and engineering. Be prepared to get a new one every few years because some of the over engineering is not going to last the test of time. The LS is a keeper. In the same way it holds its residuals, it keeps its looking good longer too. Everyone says my 2007 LS looks newer than my 2010 S5 and they are always surprised when I tell them otherwise.

Cheers.
Old 05-27-14, 01:10 PM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Two different animals. The A8L performed like sleek locomotive on the road. It ate the 550 mile road trip (one way) I do every month like a champ. You get out of the car and you know it barely even broke a sweat. Through the twisties it just sat and settled into every corner. The Quattro is something I definitely miss. I would drive it up to Lake Tahoe for skiing and it drove through the snow just like it would a bone dry road in Vegas (where I live). The LS460L, I would say is more of a land yacht. It coddles and pampers. It doesn't do the corners with as much confidence, but it definitely is CAPABLE. It definitely rolls into a corner rather than sits if you do it in the A8L speeds, makes you cringe a bit but still does the corner without any problem.

I don't think I miss the A8L after having the LS. The ride is just HARD to beat. I've been toying with the idea of going from stock to 22" forged, but just can't bring myself to ruin the ride, even a little bit. If you live in areas with extreme weather, there's nothing better than the Quattro and the confidence the A8 brings to the table. I live in Vegas where roads are smooth and wide, and weather is only 20 days out of the year.

As for the maintenance, I'm a bit annoyed with the LS needing an oil change ever 3-5k miles. The A8L would go 8K miles between oil changes. I put 155K miles on the A8L before selling it. That being said, maintenance wasn't that bad. I got used to the $500-1000 trips to the dealership towards the end, but that's just the car at 130K+ miles. I NEVER broke down, over heated (even in Vegas heat), suffered electrical issues, etc. So I'd say it's fairly well built. LS maintenance isn't necessarily that much cheaper, but hopefully it proves just as problem free as the A8L.

Refinement, the LS takes the cake. However they approach it with a big difference. The A8L tries to predict what its occupant needs, then goes about it with unprecedented and untested appointments. Some you like, some is just over engineering. The LS checks all the boxes with absolute quality. Nothing more, nothing less. Whatever is over engineering in the A8 today is going to be a welcome refinement in the LS in 2 years.

If you're the one that needs to keep up with the jones', the A8 is forefront of tech and engineering. Be prepared to get a new one every few years because some of the over engineering is not going to last the test of time. The LS is a keeper. In the same way it holds its residuals, it keeps its looking good longer too. Everyone says my 2007 LS looks newer than my 2010 S5 and they are always surprised when I tell them otherwise.

Cheers.
Thanks for your insight. I agree with you on your last statement. I get people saying the same to me that my 07 looks like a newer car. Hopefully with the Tail light upgrade and led drl's, I can continue to keep it looking current. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 05-27-14, 05:45 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always had 2 cars in the garage and before the LS it was an A8L. After getting the LS, I don't even need a zoom zoom sports car, at least not an S5. An uncompromising 5-600hp monster? Maybe.
This.

I, too, keep a 2nd car in the garage. A MZ3. Rather hard to find a car farther away from an LS than that. Reminds me every time I drive it just how smooth and refined the LS ride is. Bought the MZ3 because I wanted a little roadster that was a blast to drive (stiil is) and not take itself too seriously (still doesn't).

No one needs a zoom zoom sports car. But, if you want one, why the heck wouldn't you get one?
Old 06-18-14, 06:32 AM
enjo
Rookie

I used to run an E34 M5 so I do like my German.......but as a daily driver won't be leaving Lexus any time soon....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS460 vs Audi A5