LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HOW TO: Gummy Trunk Button Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 06:10 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done DIY! Mine still looks/feels new, so I'm opting out of the repair. I'd say if you used a rubber/plastic protectant, that it might make it last until Miley Cyrus gets too old to do her twerk dance.
Old 09-04-14, 07:22 PM
peter596
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gummy Trunk Button

I'm new to Club Lexus and have a "Gummy Trunk Button" on my '07 LS 460. Not as bad as yours. Mine is sticky but not deteriorated. The dealer wants $449 to make the repair (part & labor). I chocked. Question: What about covering the rubber with black plastic tape (like electrical tape)? I know that is not a proper repair, but would it work and buy me some time? Like one to four years.
Peter
Old 09-04-14, 07:28 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by peter596
I'm new to Club Lexus and have a "Gummy Trunk Button" on my '07 LS 460. Not as bad as yours. Mine is sticky but not deteriorated. The dealer wants $449 to make the repair (part & labor). I chocked. Question: What about covering the rubber with black plastic tape (like electrical tape)? I know that is not a proper repair, but would it work and buy me some time? Like one to four years. Peter
It's best to do the DIY fix with info provided in this thread to achieve the longevity you want.
Old 09-05-14, 03:43 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextrician
nice! I got plans to parallel a switch to make it possible to to close and open the trunk from the inside of the car.
Please let us know, I have been wondering about that.......
Old 09-05-14, 05:23 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Thumbs up

Great instructions/pictures for those who attempt to fix the gummy trunk button.
Old 09-08-14, 03:54 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Try to get it replaced under the extended warranty. I had mine replaced under my Lexus care. I just told them that when it sticks I can't get my trunk open and that it is a hazard when it doesn't function. They know that it's bad quality.
Old 09-10-14, 07:00 PM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my sticky trunk switch replaced yesterday under my extended warranty, same as Gotcha350 did. I told my service advisor that I could only get the trunk to open after as many as 5 or 6 attempts.
Old 08-29-15, 06:52 PM
set2matt
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 GS 350 same gummy issue

I'm new to Club Lexus and have a "Gummy Trunk Button" on my '07 LS 460. Not as bad as yours. Mine is sticky but not deteriorated. The dealer wants $449 to make the repair (part & labor). I chocked. Question: What about covering the rubber with black plastic tape (like electrical tape)? I know that is not a proper repair, but would it work and buy me some time? Like one to four years.
Peter
The dealer just quoted me $500+ for the repair. I brought it down to about the same price you stated. There are some earlier posts about the heat and such. I live in Southern Cal which is warm but not blistering hot like AZ. My car is also normally garage kept indoors most days. I think this is just poor design and choice of materials.

It has only started to decompose so I'm going to just stop using it. Given that my remote and inside trunk release are still workable, I'll just use those instead. My personal experience with plastic fasteners is that they become brittle over time and they are mainly designed to be inserted and not removed. I would likely snap off several of them anyways.
Old 09-02-15, 10:22 AM
peter596
Driver School Candidate

Default Gummy Trunk Button - Sticky Interior

I too have a 2007 LS 460 with a gummy trunk button. I covered mine with electrical tape and seems okay. If I were to complete the repair, I would purchase the part online, like ebay. Often it comes from a dealer at a lower cost. I would not attempt the repair myself but take it to my upholstery guy for installation. Would be just as good and cost less.

On another point, I have noticed that my interior (dash and door panels) become sticky on hot days. I live in Plano, TX. The car is paid for and in great shape otherwise. This is the kind of issue that makes me consider changing brand as Lexus seems to have left us twisting in the wind over obvious factory/ design defects. At the very least Lexus should make these replacement parts available at a more affordable cost and a brake on labor. These are failures do to manufacturing defects.
Old 09-02-15, 10:59 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Just a serious question, no cynicism what so ever, but honestly curious...
What brand of vehicle would you entertain?
Old 09-02-15, 02:26 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I too have a 2007 LS 460 with a gummy trunk button. I covered mine with electrical tape and seems okay. If I were to complete the repair, I would purchase the part online, like ebay. Often it comes from a dealer at a lower cost. I would not attempt the repair myself but take it to my upholstery guy for installation. Would be just as good and cost less.

On another point, I have noticed that my interior (dash and door panels) become sticky on hot days. I live in Plano, TX. The car is paid for and in great shape otherwise. This is the kind of issue that makes me consider changing brand as Lexus seems to have left us twisting in the wind over obvious factory/ design defects. At the very least Lexus should make these replacement parts available at a more affordable cost and a brake on labor. These are failures do to manufacturing defects.
Lexus actually is dealing with the melting, cracked, sticky dashboard and door panel defect in certain models -- including yours, assuming it falls within the early September 2006 - late February 2007 production period:

http://m.local10.com/blob/view/-/311...nt-Program.pdf

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/articl...ty-repairs.htm

Last edited by Gbp; 09-02-15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 10:36 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

TIP... Buy the $50 OEM part...

I bought the $10 replacement rubber handle only off eBay, and it literally took me an hour extra to take the "gum" off the button. I thought I could just rip it off, but it was like try to clean epoxy glue off. It was too much waste of time to save $40. In the end it worked and looks great, but still time wasted.

The whole job took me 2.5 hours.

TIP #2.. have 10mm DEEP SOCKET ..

There are 2 or 3 bolts that would've been 10 times easier to work with a deep socket. I had to "MacGuyver" my way around... Again, not worth my time.

TIP #3.. try to work during the day.. I worked in the garage at night with the garage light towards the front of my car. I had a flashlight, and the situation wasn't ideal.

TIP #4.. If you have car trim/panel removal kit, it'll help a lot. I have a $3 or $5 one I bought from Amazon, and it's very nice.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (08-16-18)
Old 03-10-17, 05:10 PM
HarryO
Driver School Candidate

Really good post!! Pics makes the repair to easy
Old 09-09-17, 01:03 PM
twin703
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does any one know if it's simple to make the button in the car close the trunk too?
Old 09-23-17, 01:15 PM
dyeelitt
Driver School Candidate

Just did the repair. The difficult part was the bezel on the emergency release handle. Once I was able to remove the bezel, the cover came off. I had to push hard on the studs to remove the panel. You also have to remember to put the panel back in place before you replace the camera and key lock.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Gummy Trunk Button Fix