LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Electronic Brake Assist Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 03:51 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic Brake Assist Issue?

Had my LS for three weeks now. Love it, mostly. But when I brake from any speed above 35 MPH down to zero, such a coming up to a traffic light, I cannot get my 2009 AWD LS to slow down evenly. Even with consistent foot pedal pressure, my LS still has a tendency to slow down quicker, then less….especially when it gets closer to stopping completely. My foot pressure hasn’t changed at all. It won’t slow down in a linear sense? At least it feels that way.

I get no steering wheel issues or vibration issues when applying the brakes at any speeds (like you do with a warped rotor.)

Is it the LS’s electronic brake assistance or its electronic brake force distribution that would cause this affect? Do All LS’s do this? Is it normal? Or is it a brake pad issue?
I do not like it.
Old 09-21-14, 12:26 AM
tonyctl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thegov3
Had my LS for three weeks now. Love it, mostly. But when I brake from any speed above 35 MPH down to zero, such a coming up to a traffic light, I cannot get my 2009 AWD LS to slow down evenly. Even with consistent foot pedal pressure, my LS still has a tendency to slow down quicker, then less….especially when it gets closer to stopping completely. My foot pressure hasn’t changed at all. It won’t slow down in a linear sense? At least it feels that way.

I get no steering wheel issues or vibration issues when applying the brakes at any speeds (like you do with a warped rotor.)

Is it the LS’s electronic brake assistance or its electronic brake force distribution that would cause this affect? Do All LS’s do this? Is it normal? Or is it a brake pad issue?
I do not like it.
Just came across this old threat. Thegov3, did you manage to get this issue fixed?? I am having the exact same issue with my 2010 awd LS. I apply constant brake pedal pressure but I can never manage to slow down evenly. NO steering wheel vibrations or brake pedal pulsations to speak of either. Also, whenever I apply the brakes, unless I use the utmost gentle force, I get a loud "thud" and the car jerks as the brakes engage. Took the car to several dealerships and they all say didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Honestly, my 22 year old Accord beater brakes smoother than this. What is wrong with my car?

Last edited by tonyctl; 09-21-14 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-21-14, 05:10 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

You might have a bad brake actuator. There were quite a few brake actuator issues on the 2007 and 2008 cars. I had it on a brand new 2008 and it took Lexus a year to acknowledge that it was bad. It's expensive to replace - about $3K.

I have not heard too many complaints about the 2010+ model years though.
Old 09-21-14, 07:56 AM
tonyctl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish it was as simple as replacing the brake actuator. That was one of the first things I replaced since getting the car in Feb. It made the brake clicking noise go away but the jerky uneven braking remained...