LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls460L wrapped matted black????

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 12:38 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
^^^ How do they remove all the overspray, especially on the brake rotors?
They loosely wrap the rotors and calipers with plastic. Other over spray... If it's thick enough... Will peal off. You can also use a microfiber towel to take off a lot of it.
Old 12-24-12, 04:35 AM
kazakh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is one with WALD bodykit
Attached Thumbnails Ls460L wrapped matted black????-ls-wald.jpeg  
Old 12-24-12, 04:48 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i think matte black would look sexy on a LS....especially if you have Subtle kit on it
Old 12-24-12, 07:14 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
The dipyourcar.com site and videos are great! !!
Yes it is. If there weren't so many people trying it, I wouldn't have thought about it. I've seen all kinds of cars done from civics to a 599xx, so there's something good about it verses wrapping it. Besides the cars, you can basically dip anything.
Old 12-24-12, 09:33 AM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RandyV
^^^ How do they remove all the overspray, especially on the brake rotors?
comes off real easy.

did plasti dip on my grill, chrome part of running boards, rear logo and exhaust tips.
Old 12-24-12, 09:56 AM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I'm thinking about doing my car in white.
Old 12-24-12, 03:59 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
Yes it is. If there weren't so many people trying it, I wouldn't have thought about it. I've seen all kinds of cars done from civics to a 599xx, so there's something good about it verses wrapping it. Besides the cars, you can basically dip anything.
Yup..I dipped my grill on my 460 and 600 and it comes out great. .this stuff is incredible. The demo showing the VW GTi going through the car wash and the 1800psi sprayer on the blue audi has me thinking a white LS600HL is only going to cost me $1000 when I get bored with my SGM. Hmmmm..looks like a trip to FL soon.

Im wondering if you have to report color change to DMV. I assume yes. I wonder how that could reek havoc with carfax and autocheck reports

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-24-12 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-24-12, 04:58 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yup..I dipped my grill on my 460 and 600 and it comes out great. .this stuff is incredible. The demo showing the VW GTi going through the car wash and the 1800psi sprayer on the blue audi has me thinking a white LS600HL is only going to cost me $1000 when I get bored with my SGM. Hmmmm..looks like a trip to FL soon.

Im wondering if you have to report color change to DMV. I assume yes. I wonder how that could reek havoc with carfax and autocheck reports
hey you cant do this i wanna be the first lol
Old 12-24-12, 06:34 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
hey you cant do this i wanna be the first lol
hahahaha..true dat
Old 12-24-12, 07:25 PM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

I was looking at the website also and thinking I might do my car in white.
Old 12-25-12, 02:39 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Going over our cars there are so many areas to watch out for as far as overspray. The wheel wells in the rear are a cloth like felt material which you'd want to mask off. You should mask the front wells as well. The gasket that runs around the doors need to be thought about. Just little things like that. Been thinking about doing my car in flat clear which I hope will come out like the 5axis LS. I am buying a can online to do some test pieces. Maybe take off the door mirror covers and spray those to see how it comes out. Oh there are two different types of nozzles for the cans. The typical one you would think of and a larger looking one. The typical one sprays rough with a splatter like look to it and the larger nozzle sprays smooth.

Typical

Larger

Last edited by lbintab; 12-25-12 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-25-12, 06:44 AM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lbintab
Going over our cars there are so many areas to watch out for as far as overspray. The wheel wells in the rear are a cloth like felt material which you'd want to mask off. You should mask the front wells as well. The gasket that runs around the doors need to be thought about. Just little things like that. Been thinking about doing my car in flat clear which I hope will come out like the 5axis LS. I am buying a can online to do some test pieces. Maybe take off the door mirror covers and spray those to see how it comes out. Oh there are two different types of nozzles for the cans. The typical one you would think of and a larger looking one. The typical one sprays rough with a splatter like look to it and the larger nozzle sprays smooth.

Typical

Larger
I agree, when I do mine I will mask off those area well, I'm excited to see the outcome of this mod(project).
Old 12-25-12, 06:53 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plastidip....
since your car is already black and want to go matte black.. you can get away with not masking all the jams...

If your car was a different color I'd mask it off or when you decide to remove the plastidip you would have to use thinner to get off the overspray in the jams..

I'm dipped matte white. white requires alot of coats since its pretty transparent.
Old 12-25-12, 07:02 AM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dengman
Plastidip....
since your car is already black and want to go matte black.. you can get away with not masking all the jams...

If your car was a different color I'd mask it off or when you decide to remove the plastidip you would have to use thinner to get off the overspray in the jams..

I'm dipped matte white. white requires alot of coats since its pretty transparent.
What color was yours originally? Did you do it yourself and how easy was it? How many coats or gallons to cover? Sorry for all the questions, might be planning to do this the middle of the new year.
Old 12-26-12, 08:12 PM
Haole702
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy Plasti- Dip @ Home Depot, I bought 4 cans of Matte Black to murder out my wheels (I have a black LS). These also btw come with the fat tips....If you spray 5-6 coats you can peel the overspray off any surface just by rubbing it with your fingers for a break point in the paint or to remove the paint entirely if dis-satisfied with finished project.....I wanna do my grill as well and possibly my mirror covers.
GL!
Let us know with pics if you do........

Quick Reply: Ls460L wrapped matted black????