LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 ls460 needs new control arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 01:59 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default No chance

You've got no chance with non standard wheels . The first thing they will do is blame the wheels for causing the problem .
Old 02-16-15, 02:13 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
You've got no chance with non standard wheels . The first thing they will do is blame the wheels for causing the problem .
And whatever suspension set up that alters the natural pivot and stiffness of the suspension.
It doesn't matter if the arms were doomed to begin with, the fact that there is a direct cause and effect should disqualify the car from the warranty and it's just for others that have to pay for someone else's choices in modifications.
I can understand the outrage if they disqualify you if you had an aftermarket air filter but this is different.
There were people that got caught removing their nitrous systems on their car and claiming warranty work which is fraud and so is removing your wheels when trying to not be denied.

If you want to do it right get the ok from Lexus first. It's possible that they don't care about aftermarket wheels.
Old 03-04-15, 06:16 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody else have their front end sitting significantly higher (1.5") after the install?

gotta take my car back in again
Old 03-16-15, 02:11 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

now I'm getting a light squeak or rattle coming from my right front... I can hear it in the cabin.

taking it back in this week.

This and the AFS light have been a thorn in my side.
Old 03-17-15, 02:44 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
I just had Lexus replace all four LCAs (well two LCA and two lower Strut rods) under warranty at 76K with modified 22" wheels. I just put tires on the car a day before and had my alignment guy do a once over all of the suspension. He also noted that the LCAs were torn and needed to be replaced. When I took my car in for the fuel line recall, the Lexus tech approved my LCAs were torn. Replaced 4/8 arms

Last edited by Falbz; 03-17-15 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 06:18 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Nice to get that for free. Would be expensive. Big wheels transfer a lot more abuse to to the suspension which leads to premature failure. Not that I am a fan of large tires but when it comes to comfort, longevity of the tire and suspenion, cost, and ride quality I'm having are time wanting to leave a 17" rim. I have had 20's before and besides looks there is nothing pleasant with how that sidewall rides. I am sure your 22's are like rocks.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-17-15 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 12:35 AM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Nice to get that for free. Would be expensive. Big wheels transfer a lot more abuse to to the suspension which leads to premature failure. Not that I am a fan of large tires but when it comes to comfort, longevity of the tire and suspenion, cost, and ride quality I'm having are time wanting to leave a 17" rim. I have had 20's before and besides looks there is nothing pleasant with how that sidewall rides. I am sure your 22's are like rocks.
Actually with the factory air suspension the car rides really nice. You would be surprised.
Old 03-19-15, 07:13 PM
PsiPhi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
And whatever suspension set up that alters the natural pivot and stiffness of the suspension.
It doesn't matter if the arms were doomed to begin with, the fact that there is a direct cause and effect should disqualify the car from the warranty and it's just for others that have to pay for someone else's choices in modifications.
I can understand the outrage if they disqualify you if you had an aftermarket air filter but this is different.
There were people that got caught removing their nitrous systems on their car and claiming warranty work which is fraud and so is removing your wheels when trying to not be denied.

If you want to do it right get the ok from Lexus first. It's possible that they don't care about aftermarket wheels.
I actually called Lexus after I had my 22s and asked if it would void my warranty...told the guy I was thinking about bigger wheels...he told me that it wouldn't void my warranty...I'm not sure if it is the same everywhere but that's what Lexus of Memphis told me.
Old 03-21-15, 01:22 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by PsiPhi
I actually called Lexus after I had my 22s and asked if it would void my warranty...told the guy I was thinking about bigger wheels...he told me that it wouldn't void my warranty...I'm not sure if it is the same everywhere but that's what Lexus of Memphis told me.
If it were me, I would get that in writing. He said she said is not going to hold water when it comes time to get work done.
But it still begs the question if you have to remove parts to get warranty work then there is something very wrong.
Old 03-21-15, 04:01 PM
HONDACBR
Rookie

Running on 18's stock rims now. I have to waiting for the extended warranty waiting period over and HOPE they will pay for my 6/8 front arms. Fingers cross ;-(( (endurance extended warranty)
Old 03-21-15, 04:25 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by HONDACBR
Running on 18's stock rims now. I have to waiting for the extended warranty waiting period over and HOPE they will pay for my 6/8 front arms. Fingers cross ;-(( (endurance extended warranty)
I might be mistaken based on what you wrote but if you have a problem before your warranty period kicks in then that should be on you not someone else's dime.
Old 03-25-15, 07:26 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default $15,000 repair bill!!

http://lenspeed.com/2014/06/06/the-l...-a-15000-bill/
Old 03-26-15, 05:17 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow just read that..think author is in Singapore so labor would be a massive cause to that. Reading past posts. The owner had an extensive PrePurchase Inspextion done as well. Ouch
Old 04-11-15, 02:55 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
anybody else have their front end sitting significantly higher (1.5") after the install?

gotta take my car back in again
I'm getting that also. Read it has to do with the way the arms are tightened. Will be taking it back in.
Old 05-18-15, 05:17 PM
AP2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any experience with the control arm kit from BuyAutoParts on eBay? Please let me know how's the quality of these.

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PREMIUM-QUALITY-COMPLETE-FRONT-LEFT-RIGHT-CONTROL-ARM-KIT-FOR-LEXUS-LS460-/121605215549?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item1c503c553d&vxp=mtr

Last edited by AP2; 05-18-15 at 05:18 PM. Reason: .

Quick Reply: 08 ls460 needs new control arms