LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 ls460 needs new control arms

Old 07-20-13, 11:11 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ahxks1
Lexus boasts of a "meticulous 161-point inspection". If their inspections are so meticulous, why wouldn't a service bulletin or recall be addressed before the vehicle is resold by Lexus?????
I think the control arms are point-162.

Most likely as tpocean stated the dealer would be on the hook for the cost. However, it could also be tech laziness/incompetence.
Old 07-20-13, 02:40 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I am not a CPO-lover, for reasons I've stated elsewhere on CL. I have nothing against the program; I just don't think it's the panacea.

My control arms were all bad and were replaced in phases. Most of them, however, looked fine when inspected in conventional ways. It wasn't until they were taken off and put on a vise that the technician was able to load the bushings on the bench and see that they were all cracked and gone.

So, there could be other explanations...

This said, my situation happened before this was a known, widespread problem. In fact, by the time the TSIB was issued, my control arms had been replaced for a while (as had many other components that were causing vibrations).

At this point in time, given how well-known the issue is, I would expect dealers to look a little further... Unfortunately, the system is set up in a bit of a screwed-up way, and while - in theory - Lexus should foot the bill since the first design of these control arms was flawed, if the car has no owner that formally complains about the issues in the TSIB, there's no warranty repair...
Old 07-31-13, 11:29 PM
460LCHI
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ebay LS 460 upper control arms

Not sure if this will help, but I am on my third set of BOTH upper and lower control arms. I am shocked that highway driving can cause these parts to wear so fast.

I did purchase the uppers of ebay in the listing you posted and had them put on by Davenport Motor Co (independent Lexus repair in Dallas) and there was no problems with the fit and to be honest, I think it drives better than when it was new. It no longer gets shift on the cracks in the road nor does it clunk. My CPO expired in May (I have 103K) and I figured "why not try them" and at this point since they were replaced at 38K and 87K.

Hope this provides you with some feed back.

Mike

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Old 08-01-13, 04:16 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone swapped out control arms themselves? How difficult is it ?
Old 08-10-13, 08:04 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
I'd like to know as well, could save a bundle doing your own labor.
Old 08-11-13, 03:33 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbueno
I'd like to know as well, could save a bundle doing your own labor.

It can't be that hard to do it yourself! Or atleast any mechanic, just make sure to get the car aligned afterwards.
Old 11-18-13, 03:22 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nobody has purchased these after market arms????
Old 11-18-13, 04:25 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

See post# 78, that member bought non Oem arms fr Ebay
Old 11-18-13, 07:43 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USCRugby
Nobody has purchased these after market arms????
Are you ever intending to sell this vehicle? If so, imagine yourself as the future potential purchaser. How would you approach a car that had undergone a major repair with no-name, cut-rate, take-your-chances components installed by Joe Schmoe and his grease monkeys?

Pay the man!
Old 11-18-13, 08:31 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe
Are you ever intending to sell this vehicle? If so, imagine yourself as the future potential purchaser. How would you approach a car that had undergone a major repair with no-name, cut-rate, take-your-chances components installed by Joe Schmoe and his grease monkeys?

Pay the man!
If the oem arms are crap whats the difference with aftermarket vs oem????? control arms are not a major repair they are no different than buying replacement struts.
The following users liked this post:
Ogun360 (02-14-21)
Old 11-19-13, 06:21 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by randomwalk
My mechanic says it's a Bi#ch. It's an all day long job if you have the experience. Mine were all cracked on my LS-460 at 38,000 miles. Luckily, I had the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty and they paid the $5,000 repair bill.

Old 11-19-13, 07:53 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
My mechanic says it's a Bi#ch. It's an all day long job if you have the experience. Mine were all cracked on my LS-460 at 38,000 miles. Luckily, I had the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty and they paid the $5,000 repair bill.

If your mechanic is charging you for an 8-hour/all-day install for control arms, I would suggest finding another mechanic. Swapping out the control arms is definitely not the most "friendly" install, but at the end of the day you're replacing an arm with a castle nut and a pin. Definitely not an all-day long job.
The following users liked this post:
Ogun360 (02-14-21)
Old 11-19-13, 08:03 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brianlin87
If your mechanic is charging you for an 8-hour/all-day install for control arms, I would suggest finding another mechanic. Swapping out the control arms is definitely not the most "friendly" install, but at the end of the day you're replacing an arm with a castle nut and a pin. Definitely not an all-day long job.
ALL my bushings were cracked. NO, I didn't stand there and watch him replace all of them. But if Lexus is willing to pay $5,000 to do it, I'd say it's a bit more than you imply. I don't know, and I don't care, as long as Lexus is paying.
Old 11-19-13, 10:30 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this is off topic. My car is out of factory warranty with 58k miles on it. Is it possible to buy a warranty and them possibly miss this on their inspection and then have it fixed a few months later?
Old 11-19-13, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by USCRugby
I know this is off topic. My car is out of factory warranty with 58k miles on it. Is it possible to buy a warranty and them possibly miss this on their inspection and then have it fixed a few months later?
Thats fraud, but I'm sure anything is possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 ls460 needs new control arms