LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 ls460 needs new control arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 12:07 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I see some control arms aftermarket on ebay, wouldn't this help you guys?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-FRONT-UPPER-CONTROL-ARM-LEXUS-LS460-LS600H-07-12-/261216442091?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item3cd1b696eb&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEVOTECH-MS861077-Control-Arm-Ball-Joint-Assy-Control-Arm-Ball-Joint-Assembly-/300933016493?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item4611016bad&vxp=mtr
Old 07-15-13, 07:36 AM
tpocean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arms have been replaced, love the ride

I , indeed, bought my 2009 LS 460 2 months ago with all the control arms and bushings broken......
My previous posts tell the story
My feeling is that below a certain vin number, every LS 460 needs the repair, or is on its way to needing the repair. I think it causes a very gradual deterioration in ride quality, and the sound could be interpreted as road noise, so the driver may not know.......
Mine was so badly broken , that after I got it fixed, the difference is astounding..... the car rides amazingly well over rough pavement, and it didn't do so before the repair
Just make sure the car you are considering for purchase has documentation that the repair WAS done
Every car has a service history......
Meanwhile, the service bulletin with all the VIN numbers is L-SB-0021-12.
Happy hunting......

Last edited by tpocean; 07-15-13 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 09:35 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Can the issue be detected by visual inspection. I just purchased an 08 from a Toyota Dealer, came with a 2 year 24K mile warranty. I would like to get them to address it.
Old 07-15-13, 11:12 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can anyone give me the part numbers for all the newer control arms and anything else that is associated? I'd greatly appreciate it! I have no warranty at the moment and need to so this fix pretty bad... I want to try to source the parts myself and have my mechanic friend do the install and try not to spend $4400 like the dealer quoted me. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-15-13, 12:48 PM
Roc3b
Driver

2007 LS460 brought from CarMax with 50100 miles and noticed the clunk and pulling left. They replaced all the control arms and the thunk sound is still there now I will have them look at the front bearing bolts....hopefully that will solve the issue. Glad this is resolved under thier 90 warranty.
Old 07-15-13, 05:29 PM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As I stated in a previous posting, I bought a certified pre-owned 2007 LS460 in October from a Lexus dealership. In January I had the control arms replaced under the extended warranty at 38k miles. Lexus boasts of a "meticulous 161-point inspection". If their inspections are so meticulous, why wouldn't a service bulletin or recall be addressed before the vehicle is resold by Lexus?????
Old 07-15-13, 10:35 PM
jcp
Driver School Candidate

Default Aftermarket extended warranty coverage

I am searching for a 2007 to 2008 LS460 that falls within my budget, which will no longer have the factory warranty. It sounds like all 460 will eventually need new front bushings/control arms.

I am planning to purchase an extended warranty through my credit union at the time of purchase. They sell a warranty plan called Route 66.

If a car I purchase indeed has worn bushings and say several months later the Lexus dealer diagnoses they need replacement, should I have any problem claiming the repair with the warranty company? According to their brochure, control arms and bushings are covered.
Old 07-16-13, 06:04 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp
I am searching for a 2007 to 2008 LS460 that falls within my budget, which will no longer have the factory warranty. It sounds like all 460 will eventually need new front bushings/control arms.

I am planning to purchase an extended warranty through my credit union at the time of purchase. They sell a warranty plan called Route 66.

If a car I purchase indeed has worn bushings and say several months later the Lexus dealer diagnoses they need replacement, should I have any problem claiming the repair with the warranty company? According to their brochure, control arms and bushings are covered.
I don't think you will have an issue at all, based on owners i know who have done the same thing.
Old 07-16-13, 06:53 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive seen the aftermarket control arms and bushing being sold on ebay as far as tge bushings I am not sure if they would work or not but they are polyurethane. I need to be pressed out but you might ruin the arms in the process.it can be a diy if your up for the task.
Old 07-16-13, 07:36 AM
tpocean
Driver School Candidate

Default Control Arms have been replaced

From what I understand , the dealer has to pay for the repairs needed to certify the car. Mine was bought from a Lexus dealer , but not certified.
Now I know why...the repair was needed on my car
Once the customer buys the car , then the dealer is off the hook......

My local mechanic saw the problem the minute he put it on his lift, and then he printed the 6 page lexus service bulletin L-SB-0021-12
I took the paperwork to the dealer and forced them to address it....(under the lexus warranty)

The third party warranty companies WILL ,I believe cover this, no question , based on my experience using these types of warranties

These are the new parts.......

48610-59125 Upper no. 1 Right
48610-59135 Upper no. 1 Left
48630-59125 Upper no. 1 Left
48630-59135 Upper no. 2 Left
48620-50070 Lower no. 2 Right
48640-50070 Lower no. 2 Left

The redesigned Lexus brand parts are perhaps the only good option for durability .....
I would have done the repair even if I had to pay out of pocket, albeit with much anguish.....
The car rides infinitely better with the repair!!

Last edited by tpocean; 07-16-13 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 08:11 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteinPA
Can the issue be detected by visual inspection. I just purchased an 08 from a Toyota Dealer, came with a 2 year 24K mile warranty. I would like to get them to address it.
You should hear something clicking when you turn your steering wheel. Means you should get your control arms looked at. I'm taking my car into the dealership today to get my lower control arms replaced. I'm hoping they do it even though my car is modded. That's twice I'm taking my car in for the control arms. Sick of all the issues this Lexus is giving me.

Update:

Took my car into the dealership and spoke to the service rep. He informed me that the last time I took my car in there, they only replaced two of my lower control arms and not the upper. WHAT? Why would they only replace the lower two? He told me to replace the uppers would be a 3400+ dollar job and warranty does not like covering it. He said he has to wait for the rep to come and check out my car. I'm a bit skeptical since they will probably just try to blame my wheels or suspension. Keeping my fingers crossed.

If worse comes to worst, I will put my stock wheels back on and try again.

Last edited by Grouchy; 07-16-13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 10:39 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Grouchy I would put my stock wheels back on to avoid the aftermarket wheels taking the blame, do not make it easy for them to back out of paying for known issue.
Old 07-16-13, 11:39 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tee
Grouchy I would put my stock wheels back on to avoid the aftermarket wheels taking the blame, do not make it easy for them to back out of paying for known issue.
I've been told the rep I went through could pull a few strings, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If not, I'll prob take my wheels off and take it to the dealer I purchased it from. I really don't want to have to get to that point though. Found out two of my OEM wheels were flat after I took them off.

I really have no one to blame but myself though. Because it was happening before I started modding. I should've taken it to the dealer when I had the chance. What a stupid, expensive mistake.
Old 07-17-13, 03:12 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy

I've been told the rep I went through could pull a few strings, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If not, I'll prob take my wheels off and take it to the dealer I purchased it from. I really don't want to have to get to that point though. Found out two of my OEM wheels were flat after I took them off.

I really have no one to blame but myself though. Because it was happening before I started modding. I should've taken it to the dealer when I had the chance. What a stupid, expensive mistake.
There is no aftermarket poly bushing to use? Is it possible to press out and install new bushing? Stock prices are ridiculous
Old 07-17-13, 07:15 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Update #2:

So the rep pulled some strings and got 4 of my upper control arms replaced under warranty.

See attached:

08 ls460 needs new control arms-67gmwfc.jpg

Total cost for everything came out to $2588.04. Weird thing is that its still making the clicking noise. They said its probably my suspension. Except it was making that noise even before I put my coil overs on. Never ending story with this car.

Just got home and now I'm going over my blackbox to see what they were doing with my car. Hahah

Last edited by Grouchy; 07-17-13 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 08 ls460 needs new control arms