LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 ls460 needs new control arms

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-13, 09:53 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut

If you think this tactic is limited to Lexus vehcicles only, get your head out of the sand. This is happening to all makes of vehicles, not just Lexus. Buy from a reputable dealer and as I've said, I buy Lexus Warranties to give me piece of mind. By doing so, it saved me $5,000 Lexus paid my mechanic at a non-Lexus shop to replace all my control arms/bushings. It can happen to anybody and any make car. Lexus normally charges a bit more for their cars, but they usually are more willing to stand behind anything that goes bad than buying a Lexus off a Ford Dealership lot.
Yup..knowing my 2008 LS600hL has CPO coverage through Aug 2017 is very comforting and I have already used $3k worth of repairs and not even out of my 3yr timeframe yet..I know more issues are coming, especially air suspension at $1400 per corner at some point

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 12-03-13, 10:58 AM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree 100% Carnut. WAY too risky running these expensive cars without FACTORY warranty. Best thing is you never need to wonder when to replace your vehicle: warranty expiration = new car!
Old 12-09-13, 10:12 PM
sparknit40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my starter and all 6 control arms changed. Price at Lexus service center $5600.00. Thank God for Carmax Maxcare. I paid $250.00 deductible.
Old 02-16-14, 03:16 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I've posted on here before about my 2009 LS-460 had ALL bad control arms at 38,000 miles. I was timed out on the Factory Warranty, but luckily had the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty with $0.00 Deductible. It was NOT at a dealership and I demanded the mechanic (All they work on is Lexus) replace them. Lexus sent an adjuster out to inspect them and they paid $5,000 dollars to MY SHOP, not THEIR DEALERSHIP. You cannot buy just the bushings, You have to buy the entire control arm assembly. The bushings come already pressed in. Lot's of issues on here about the control arms failing. I sure wish they still made the bullet-proof LS-430.
Old 02-16-14, 03:44 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

blah blah blah....You cannot buy just the bushings, You have to buy the entire control arm assembly. The bushings come already pressed in. Lot's of issues on here about the control arms failing. I sure wish they still made the bullet-proof LS-430.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...placement.html
Old 08-04-14, 05:53 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Can someone please tell me what the difference is like once the control arms are replaced with the new factory upgraded units ?
Old 08-04-14, 06:40 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

LOL. Yep......and you can get them on Ebay for under a hundred bucks. Lots of gnashing of teeth and hair pulling about the LS control arms and how expensive it is, etc. I dont get it.

If it ever comes time to repair mine, I will buy the bushings online, rent a press, buy a six pack o' beer and go to it.....maybe 3 hours of my time.
The following users liked this post:
Ogun360 (02-14-21)
Old 08-04-14, 07:23 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

There were NO SYMPTOMS my control arm bushings were all cracked. I took it in to a friend who works for a shop that ONLY works on Lexus vehicles to have him check the brake pads wear. He noticed the control arm bushings were all cracked, with less than 40,000 miles on my car. I could not tell the difference after they were all replaced. Drove good with them cracked and drives good with all new ones. Lexus paid MY SHOP $5,000 to replace them all under my Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty.
Old 08-04-14, 01:25 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There were NO SYMPTOMS my control arm bushings were all cracked. I took it in to a friend who works for a shop that ONLY works on Lexus vehicles to have him check the brake pads wear. He noticed the control arm bushings were all cracked, with less than 40,000 miles on my car. I could not tell the difference after they were all replaced. Drove good with them cracked and drives good with all new ones. Lexus paid MY SHOP $5,000 to replace them all under my Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty.
haha. same here. didn't know i needed to change my control arms cause it was driving good. after my independent changed them, i couldnt' tell the difference! he said the LS was diving forward as you press the brakes hard and now it doesn't. felt the same to me. i guess i was expecting a huge difference considering the price tag to change them. lucky thing warranty covered it or i would have been really disappointed....
Old 08-04-14, 03:49 PM
markLS460
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone, new member here, been lurking for a while..what a great bunch of people! I finally pulled trigger and bought a 2011 LS 460 last month. So far enjoying car..and had questions for you regarding the control arms. Sorry if this is a newbie question, is this control arm specific to 2008 and earlier models? I hear it in my car and wondering if there is a TSB that covers this?
Old 08-06-14, 02:04 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yup..knowing my 2008 LS600hL has CPO coverage through Aug 2017 is very comforting and I have already used $3k worth of repairs and not even out of my 3yr timeframe yet..I know more issues are coming, especially air suspension at $1400 per corner at some point

Just my opinion, but I would stay away from air suspensions. They are not worth the time, money and effort for the difference in ride. EXPENSIVE to maintain.
Old 08-06-14, 02:10 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Control Arm Bushings

Originally Posted by markLS460
Hi everyone, new member here, been lurking for a while..what a great bunch of people! I finally pulled trigger and bought a 2011 LS 460 last month. So far enjoying car..and had questions for you regarding the control arms. Sorry if this is a newbie question, is this control arm specific to 2008 and earlier models? I hear it in my car and wondering if there is a TSB that covers this?
IT SEEMS there are no specific models of the LS-460 having control arm bushing cracking. I have a 2009 that had ALL the bushings cracked at under 40,000 Miles. My only advice is to call Toby Rivers BEFORE your factory warranty expires and get a Lexus Factory Platinum Warranty for a CHEAP price. He's at the Sheveport, Bozier CIty, Lousinana Dealership. He does it all over the phone and he's great at beating my local dealerships by over $1,200 or more on an extended Lexus Warranty. I would NOT drive my LS-460 around the block without a Factory Warranty. Too much to go wrong. I paid about $1,800 if I recall correctly and I've already gotten $5,000 back from Lexus. It's a no-brainer. Get the warranty and enjoy your car with "Peace of Mind".
Old 08-06-14, 05:08 PM
markLS460
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Carnut, this is solid advice and I plan on getting the Lexus plat warranty in place before my current in force original factory warranty runs out. (I am currently at 36 K miles on the clock). I will upload pics as soon as I can get this functionality figured out on the portal <<Smile>>. Car is smoky granite mica w/ black interior. So far loving it!

It seems that most everyone here on the board (thankfully!) had this repair covered by Lexus while covered by either the factory warranty or an extended warranty, is there a TSB or document that is specific and relevant to 2011 model year that will make the case easier when I go speak to the service adviser?

if so,where do I find this info? Your help is much appreciated.
Old 08-07-14, 12:47 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY

There doesn't seem to be any partucular year of the LS-460's having the control arm bushings cracking and I know of no TSB's issued on them. I have a 2009, same color as yours but mine has the factory chrome wheels. My car had only about 38,000 miles when Lexus paid to have them all replaced. ALSO, doesn't your factory warranty expire at about 36,000 miles ????? IF so, contact Toby Rivers at Bozzier City, LA/ Shreveport, Louisiansa Toyota/Lexus and get a LEXUS Platinum extended warranty ASAP. I think your car really has 35,800 miles on it. :-) Good luck and just make sure you get that Warranty SOON. If you plan to keep the car buy the 100,000 mile Warranty. You WILL NOT beat Toby's prices.

I am NOT sure the CPO Warranty actually keeps it considered under "Factory Warranty" is the reason you might go ahead and purchase it, unless you are totally comfortable with your Dealership standing behind it until whatever miles and time it's under FULL warranty.

Last edited by Carnut; 08-07-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 12:54 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by markLS460
Thanks Carnut, this is solid advice and I plan on getting the Lexus plat warranty in place before my current in force original factory warranty runs out. (I am currently at 36 K miles on the clock). I will upload pics as soon as I can get this functionality figured out on the portal <<Smile>>. Car is smoky granite mica w/ black interior. So far loving it!

It seems that most everyone here on the board (thankfully!) had this repair covered by Lexus while covered by either the factory warranty or an extended warranty, is there a TSB or document that is specific and relevant to 2011 model year that will make the case easier when I go speak to the service adviser?

if so,where do I find this info? Your help is much appreciated.
There doesn't seem to be any partucular year of the LS-460's having the control arm bushings cracking and I know of no TSB's issued on them. I have a 2009, same color as yours but mine has the factory chrome wheels. My car had only about 38,000 miles when Lexus paid to have them all replaced. ALSO, doesn't your factory warranty expire at about 36,000 miles ????? IF so, contact Toby Rivers at Bozzier City, LA/ Shreveport, Louisiansa Toyota/Lexus and get a LEXUS Platinum extended warranty ASAP. I think your car really has 35,800 miles on it. :-) Good luck and just make sure you get that Warranty SOON. If you plan to keep the car buy the 100,000 mile Warranty. You WILL NOT beat Toby's prices.

I am NOT sure the CPO Warranty actually keeps it considered under "Factory Warranty" is the reason you might go ahead and purchase it, unless you are totally comfortable with your Dealership standing behind it until whatever miles and time it's under FULL warranty.

Quick Reply: 08 ls460 needs new control arms