LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 ls460 needs new control arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 05:44 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can someone post a tsb for this control arms? Thanks
Old 01-29-13, 06:29 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusls430
I believe the control arm tsb applies to newly updated lower arms (the one that comes from the front of the car to the wheel itself. Ive had it done recently. I dont think the uppers have been updated.
100% of the bushings on my control arms were gone, upper control arms included.

The upper control arms were redesigned by Lexus before the TSIB was issued in early 2012 (my car had the fix in 2011).

The lower arms you mention were the last ones to be replaced on my car and the only ones that were confirmed to be making noise. Ironically, I remember them NOT being on the TSIB when I read the TSIB earlier last year (unfortunately I don't have a copy).
Old 01-29-13, 07:18 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my car is in the shop right now i hope they replace everything in the front end before i put my air on lol
Old 01-29-13, 11:02 PM
iampraneel
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
my car is in the shop right now i hope they replace everything in the front end before i put my air on lol
What was happening to your car that made you decide to take it in? Also. if you can, please share your experience with the dealer.
Old 01-29-13, 11:34 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Prepboy607
What was happening to your car that made you decide to take it in? Also. if you can, please share your experience with the dealer.
popping while turning ....clunking while braking...wobble in steering
Old 07-01-13, 03:58 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My vehicle has been making that clicking noise lately and decided to take to the dealer to inspect. As results, upper and lower control arms needs to replace ASAP and they quoted me $4k and some change. Good new, I have extended warranty on the vehicle for 5 years or 100K miles. Have any of you guys been quoted that high and the car only has 40K miles.
Old 07-01-13, 04:55 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car in because of the clicking noise when I turn. I got my control arms replaced but its still making the clicking noise. My car was stock when I took it in but now I have coilovers and wheels on there. I'm afraid they will just blame it on the aftermarket parts and not do anything about it.
Old 07-02-13, 12:30 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lieup
My vehicle has been making that clicking noise lately and decided to take to the dealer to inspect. As results, upper and lower control arms needs to replace ASAP and they quoted me $4k and some change. Good new, I have extended warranty on the vehicle for 5 years or 100K miles. Have any of you guys been quoted that high and the car only has 40K miles.
Yes, that really is about the correct price. About $3k for the four arms, about $1k in labor including the allignment. It's an all day job.
Old 07-02-13, 12:53 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread is giving me second thoughts about the 460 now. :-(
Old 07-02-13, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
This thread is giving me second thoughts about the 460 now. :-(
My mechanic who was a Lexus master tech (I trust him implicitly) and has an LS400 and a GX470 himself told me he would never buy an LS460 because of this issue. I was very surprised...
Old 07-02-13, 05:07 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it dangerous to not replace the control arms when its clicking? I'm a little mind boggled that I'm still having the issue after getting my control arms replaced. I spoke to a service rep that is referred a lot on Club Lexus. Even he told me that I would have to change my car back to stock to get my control arms looked at. Seems like a lot of work if its not going to be a big issue besides the clicking noise. Should probably do it though before my warranty is over.

The independent shop I take my car to said the LS just doesn't like big wheels. But it was happening before I installed everything. I guess its my fault for not taking it in before I got everything done.
Old 07-03-13, 07:12 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front Control Arms

Originally Posted by Johnd2292
Dealer told me needed new control arms as the bearings are wearing out. Was quoted a little over $3k. Anyone else have this issue? Doesn't really bother me bc it only makes a clicking noise when I apply brakes hard but concerned about safety issue. Surprised a car like this would need new control arms with only 70k miles on it.
Don't feel alone. My 2009 LS-460 needed new front control arms with 38,000 miles on it. It was just over $5,000 but luckily I had the Lexus Platinum Warranty on it. They paid for all it, and I paid nothing since I had the $0.00 Deductible Warranty. They were ALL cracked. And, it was a friend who works on Lexus cars who found the problem. Glad I had a Warranty from Lexus.
Old 07-03-13, 04:14 PM
tpocean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front control arms

I purchased a pre owned 09 LS 460 with 40,000 miles about a month ago. The car was NOT CPO. I discovered the knocking problem almost immediately . I took the car back to the dealer to have a broken subwoofer replaced, and asked them to investigate the knock. They said that everything was fine, couldn't find a problem (!!!!). I took the car to my local mechanic and he discovered it immediately. MY LOCAL MECHANIC handed me the 6 page lexus service bulletin dated March 2012, describing the problem and the instructions for warranty repair. It is called L-SB-0021-12. I took the documents straight to the dealer .My appt. is next Tue. and is SHOULD be covered under the remainder of my Lexus warranty. The service manager has given me a degree of confidence on this. My local mechanic explained it this way....The dealer would have to have gone out of pocket to repair this and certify the car, robbing them of their profit margin. But when they repair it under warranty they get paid to fix it , rather than PAYING to fix it. Wow, not what I expected after leasing 2 ES 350s in a row and not a single problem. Was the lexus tech just being lazy when he couldn't find the problem 2 weeks ago? I don't have a clue. I also bought the third party warranty and I have had experience with this type of warranty. They are GREAT, and they actually cover you in a much better way. I will check in again after Tuesday . I'm happy to answer any questions.........
Old 07-05-13, 12:50 PM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tpocean
I purchased a pre owned 09 LS 460 with 40,000 miles about a month ago. The car was NOT CPO. I discovered the knocking problem almost immediately . I took the car back to the dealer to have a broken subwoofer replaced, and asked them to investigate the knock. They said that everything was fine, couldn't find a problem (!!!!). I took the car to my local mechanic and he discovered it immediately. MY LOCAL MECHANIC handed me the 6 page lexus service bulletin dated March 2012, describing the problem and the instructions for warranty repair. It is called L-SB-0021-12. I took the documents straight to the dealer .My appt. is next Tue. and is SHOULD be covered under the remainder of my Lexus warranty. The service manager has given me a degree of confidence on this. My local mechanic explained it this way....The dealer would have to have gone out of pocket to repair this and certify the car, robbing them of their profit margin. But when they repair it under warranty they get paid to fix it , rather than PAYING to fix it. Wow, not what I expected after leasing 2 ES 350s in a row and not a single problem. Was the lexus tech just being lazy when he couldn't find the problem 2 weeks ago? I don't have a clue. I also bought the third party warranty and I have had experience with this type of warranty. They are GREAT, and they actually cover you in a much better way. I will check in again after Tuesday . I'm happy to answer any questions.........
Got my car back today and they replaced 4 upper and 2 lower control arms and perform 4 point alignment. However, when I pulled in my drive way and did a test by turning the wheel, clicking noise has not been resolve. Anyone, know why ?
Old 07-05-13, 03:00 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tpocean
I also bought the third party warranty and I have had experience with this type of warranty. They are GREAT, and they actually cover you in a much better way. I will check in again after Tuesday . I'm happy to answer any questions.........
What company did you buy your third party warranty from? By the way, welcome to the club. You will find a lot of great people who will provide you with much helpful information.

Quick Reply: 08 ls460 needs new control arms