LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

PERFORMANCE OVER COMFORT & LUXURY IN THE LS460’s

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 10:27 PM
andywau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PERFORMANCE OVER COMFORT & LUXURY IN THE LS460’s

I have driven the LS400 from the beginning. I was interested in buying an LS460 but after a test drive I found it has morphed into a performance car rather than a comfortable riding luxury car. The ride was no longer soft, the steering was heavy and the tires being low profile making the ride less comfortable. Am I just an oldster? Do others feel Lexus has followed the performance route to compete against Mercedes and BMW, but sacrificing the comfort luxury of the old LS400’s? I have suggested to the sales people at the dealership that Lexus should offer a Comfort Luxury model of the LS460 with softer springs/shocks, lighter steering and regular soft tires for the older folks like myself. But am I just a loner seeking such an LS460?

If others agree with me and want the old LS comfort luxury, please chime in. Further, I have given my suggestion in the Lexus website that they should offer an LS460 model with softer comfort ride, lighter steering and regular wheels/tires. If many other LS riders feel the same and send Lexus feedback for a comfort model, maybe they will listen and offer such a model in the future. If they can offer an F Sport model, they can easily go the other way and offer a Comfort Luxury model.
Old 08-22-12, 10:29 PM
andywau
Driver School Candidate

Default Performance over comfort & luxury

I have driven the LS400 from the beginning. I was interested in buying an LS460 but after a test drive I found it has morphed into a performance car rather than a comfortable riding luxury car. The ride was no longer soft, the steering was heavy and the tires being low profile making the ride less comfortable. Am I just an oldster? Do others feel Lexus has followed the performance route to compete against Mercedes and BMW, but sacrificing the comfort luxury of the old LS400’s? I have suggested to the sales people at the dealership that Lexus should offer a Comfort Luxury model of the LS460 with softer springs/shocks, lighter steering and regular soft tires for the older folks like myself. But am I just a loner seeking such an LS460?

If others agree with me and want the old LS comfort luxury, please chime in. Further, I have given my suggestion in the Lexus website that they should offer an LS460 model with softer comfort ride, lighter steering and regular wheels/tires. If many other LS riders feel the same and send Lexus feedback for a comfort model, maybe they will listen and offer such a model in the future. If they can offer an F Sport model, they can easily go the other way and offer a Comfort Luxury model.
Old 08-22-12, 10:35 PM
andywau
Driver School Candidate

I have driven the LS400 from the beginning. I was interested in buying an LS460 but after a test drive I found it has morphed into a performance car rather than a comfortable riding luxury car. The ride was no longer soft, the steering was heavy and the tires being low profile making the ride less comfortable. Am I just an oldster? Do others feel Lexus has followed the performance route to compete against Mercedes and BMW, but sacrificing the comfort luxury of the old LS400’s? I have suggested to the sales people at the dealership that Lexus should offer a Comfort Luxury model of the LS460 with softer springs/shocks, lighter steering and regular soft tires for the older folks like myself. But am I just a loner seeking such an LS460? (I ended buying another LS400 and an LS430 both low miles used)

Old 08-22-12, 10:38 PM
andywau
Driver School Candidate

Same can be said for the ES350 line.
Old 08-23-12, 04:01 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I assume that LS460 you drove did not have air suspension or that if it did the setting was on "Sport". Drive an LS460L with the standard wheel size and with air suspension set on "Comf". I test drove one like that last fall and found it to be a floaty "land barge" with very light steering.
Old 08-23-12, 04:09 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I dunno..the LWB on comfort air suspension setting with 18" tires is pretty damn spongy. You may want to find a mint condition Buick Roadmaster
Old 08-23-12, 04:21 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Better yet test drive the 600hl that thing feels so much nicer than the 460L.
Old 08-23-12, 04:41 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sorta understand. The modern LS rides on 18 inch performance tires where as the original probably had 17 inch all-season tires. That's a huge difference in comfort.
Old 08-23-12, 04:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Andy, just one thread please (merged)
Old 08-23-12, 07:14 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by j three
Better yet test drive the 600hl that thing feels so much nicer than the 460L.
I would have to agree with this..the heavier weight also helps!
Old 08-23-12, 06:47 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My L has the 19 stock wheels and I tried all the different settings and you can feel the different. The key is the tire air pressure. I don't know what your talking about with the steering you can turn that electric steering with one finger. If you put the car in high height that thing floats like bird. My car does what it suppose to do. I love it.
Old 08-23-12, 10:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am surprised anyone would call the ride in an LS460 sporty or firm. It's like riding on a cloud. I know Lexus is trying to offer sportier options on their cars and its a good thing. I have never driven an LS430 or LS400 so I cant really compare with personal experience but I am surprised anyone would thing its stiff
Old 08-24-12, 08:08 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I also can't compare to the LS400 or LS430. I will also say that I've driven a few AWD LS460s with regular suspension, and yes, the ride is so-so.

However, my LS460L with air suspension and with the OEM 18" wheels on it rides more smoothly than a Lincoln Town Car, especially if I set the suspension to Comfort. Seriously. In fact, even with the OEM 19" wheels, it is still pretty smooth. And I could steer it with my pinky if I wanted to.
Old 08-24-12, 08:50 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am surprised anyone would call the ride in an LS460 sporty or firm. It's like riding on a cloud. I know Lexus is trying to offer sportier options on their cars and its a good thing. I have never driven an LS430 or LS400 so I cant really compare with personal experience but I am surprised anyone would thing its stiff
To you and I the LS460 is very cushy....but if you haven't driven the LS400 you won't fully understand. There is a difference. Not as much as the op seems to be intimating but it's there. First Lexus I drove was a 92 LS400. Drove it a few times. It felt cushy but not slushy. I grew up with Caddy's in the family and the LS400 was not floating like that but it was cushy.

The LS460 rides sweet but it is more sporty than the 1st gen LS.
I think the biggest difference comes from the choice of tires. We're using performance tires now. Even all-season tires are performance all-seadon tires with good grip and stiffer sidewalls than from years past. Today's modern compounds are different than it was in the 90's tire construction. Back then it was mostly rubber. Now there are polymers and compounds we can'teven pronounce and less of the tire is made with real rubber. I believe I read that Michelin is the only brand with extensive use of rubber these days.
The all-season tire of the 1990's was like riding on air...or riding on rubber and air. I'll be that 1992 LS400 had a 225-55-17 all-season or H-rated tire. That's cushy.

It's not the steering. The LS460 steers very easy with very little effort needed. It's more tire than anything.
Old 08-24-12, 09:23 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
To you and I the LS460 is very cushy....but if you haven't driven the LS400 you won't fully understand. There is a difference. Not as much as the op seems to be intimating but it's there. First Lexus I drove was a 92 LS400. Drove it a few times. It felt cushy but not slushy. I grew up with Caddy's in the family and the LS400 was not floating like that but it was cushy.

The LS460 rides sweet but it is more sporty than the 1st gen LS.
I think the biggest difference comes from the choice of tires. We're using performance tires now. Even all-season tires are performance all-seadon tires with good grip and stiffer sidewalls than from years past. Today's modern compounds are different than it was in the 90's tire construction. Back then it was mostly rubber. Now there are polymers and compounds we can'teven pronounce and less of the tire is made with real rubber. I believe I read that Michelin is the only brand with extensive use of rubber these days.
The all-season tire of the 1990's was like riding on air...or riding on rubber and air. I'll be that 1992 LS400 had a 225-55-17 all-season or H-rated tire. That's cushy.

It's not the steering. The LS460 steers very easy with very little effort needed. It's more tire than anything.
I still can't comment too intelligently, since again, I've never driven a 400, but I am really having trouble thinking how much cushier the ride can be. The OEM 18" Michelins on the LS are actually Touring tires, and there is (IMO) a huge difference when on air vs. coils. In Comfort mode this thing is truly a boat (in every sense). What gives? I need to go find a 400 to drive now .

Quick Reply: PERFORMANCE OVER COMFORT & LUXURY IN THE LS460’s