LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I'm really disappointed and I want the world to know it...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 12:48 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down I'm really disappointed and I want the world to know it...

I'll be posting a link to this discussion on Twitter for extra exposure. I'm sure nobody at Lexus cares - but maybe if other people are as disappointed as I am - maybe they'll consider either making changes - or giving us a solution to this problem.

I know I posted about this one other time - but it deserves a new thread. I am very, very, very disappointed with the Mark Levinson stereo system in my 2012 Lexus LS460L.

I swear I'm not just saying this but one of the MAIN reasons I traded in my 2008 Lexus LS460L for a brand new one is the stereo system.

Yes. I like the soft, quiet ride. Yes, I like the luxury features. And, yes - I like the interior/exterior appearance. Amongst those favorites is the stereo system. How on EARTH can this piece of garbage be so damned quiet?! How was the sound system in my 2008 SO MUCH LOUDER?! I can't STAND it.

I swear I will not buy another LS if something isn't done about this. I have this EXTRAORDINARY sound system - but it doesn't go loud. And I know what you're thinking - it DOES go loud. NOT TO ME. With my 2008, Satellite/FM/CD - they were all the same volume. With my 2012, FM and CD are loud as well. Satellite, USB and Bluetooth are extremely low. I never use FM or CD...

I know this is a setting intentionally made by Lexus. All it takes is some programming to fix it. I don't know why I need a NANNY to LIMIT MY VOLUME.

Very Displeased...and a little bit insulted.
Old 12-07-12, 12:49 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

time to upgrade your system

lexus system was never that great anyways
Old 12-07-12, 12:54 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure your dynamic volume control is switched off? Also, did you put the EQ settings where you want them to be? Turn the surround ON for 5.1 DVDs - makes a big difference. Even using stereo CDs the surround yields some improvement. Make sure the balance is correct as well, both left/right and front/back. Unless you have a blown amp, your sound should be as loud as '07 and '08 models.
Old 12-07-12, 01:00 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
time to upgrade your system

lexus system was never that great anyways
I was very satisfied with the Mark Levinson system in my 2008. I know you can get better but it was good enough.

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Are you sure your dynamic volume control is switched off? Also, did you put the EQ settings where you want them to be? Turn the surround ON for 5.1 DVDs - makes a big difference. Even using stereo CDs the surround yields some improvement. Make sure the balance is correct as well, both left/right and front/back. Unless you have a blown amp, your sound should be as loud as '07 and '08 models.
I've tried everything but next time I'm in the car, I'll check to make sure the dynamic volume control is off. EQ settings are set for each output type. All other settings are perfect. I'm kind of an audio nut so I take care of all this stuff right away.

I know the amp is okay because the sound system is as loud as my 2008 using FM stereo or CD. So the power is there - it's just nannied for Satellite, Bluetooth and USB.
Old 12-07-12, 01:11 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Do you understand that the equalizer setting for the satellite is separate from the setting for the equalizer for the FM and CD? If the satellite equalizer is set for lowest bass, treble and mid then the volume would seem abnormally low.
Yes, thank you. Every time I have an issue, you're always there to help out. You should be on the pay roll.

Yes, I have the settings about the same for everything - FM, CD, Bluetooth, Satellite, USB, yada, yada, yada.

So you guys aren't noticing a difference? Last time I wrote something about this, people agreed with me like it was common knowledge. In fact, there's even a hack out there (on YouTube) to bring your volume back to normal on the Bluetooth setting. I'm assuming this same setting can be altered for Satellite and USB - just nobody knows how to do it yet...
Old 12-07-12, 01:34 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Sal, Call the Lexus customer satisfaction line. I will PM you the name of the rep to ask for. She knows this problem well as she has been dealing with me for 3+ months. I proved to them that the 2012 has a problem with the bass, their field engineer has proof of it. I measured the sound levels and frequencies using an RTA analyzer on an iPhone. They know that it sounds different, and that it doesn't play as loud, but they don't have a solution.

Last edited by nsaldanh; 12-07-12 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 02:58 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I and many others had to have their amps replaced under warranty with the 2007-2009 ML System. I suspect Lexus put a "governor" on the volume to prevent blowing and replacing so many amps under warranty.
I doubt Lexus will increase the allowed volume in the future.
It seems ML, who developed the system for Lexus, has yet to resolve this issue since so many others are so satisfied with the sound quality at lower levels.
Nothing's perfect...only the Pursuit of Perfection
Old 12-07-12, 03:33 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

It is amazing how different the pre 2010 Levinson models sound compared to the newer. I was shocked..I used a dvd audio cd to compare. But..the system can be upgraded..talk to shibumi1 or search his threads
Old 12-07-12, 05:03 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a new owner of a 2010 with the ML system, I must say I agree with Sal 100%.
Old 12-07-12, 07:43 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Do an aftermarket system. A couple sets of Focal Utopia components, some good amps and a sub and it will sound awesome! No reason to never buy a LS again. Most people don't buy the LS because of the audio system.
Old 12-07-12, 10:33 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Last edited by RandyV; 12-07-12 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-08-12, 03:46 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Jlawr, do bluetooth audio and USB work on your car with the 2007 - 2009 amp? May I ask which dealer you went to to have the amp replaced? My dealer is willing to help, but neither they nor the Lexus field tech were sure if replacing the amp would help. The Lexus engineering team in the US was going to check with the team in Japan to find out what changed.

Has anyone successfully put an aftermarket subwoofer on an ML system? I know a few have done it on the premium system with excellent results. The ML system is a 12 channel amp and Lexus appears to be rolling off the lower frequencies as you raise the volume. As such there is no easy way to get a good signal for an aftermarket amp and sub.
Old 12-08-12, 06:13 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
It is amazing how different the pre 2010 Levinson models sound compared to the newer. I was shocked..I used a dvd audio cd to compare. But..the system can be upgraded..talk to shibumi1 or search his threads
Maybe I'm lucky (?) but my LS ML system will make the rear view mirror vibrate when it's cranked up. It's quite similar to the ML in the GX460 in that respect.
Old 12-08-12, 09:51 AM
richie3888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I'll be posting a link to this discussion on Twitter for extra exposure. I'm sure nobody at Lexus cares - but maybe if other people are as disappointed as I am - maybe they'll consider either making changes - or giving us a solution to this problem.

I know I posted about this one other time - but it deserves a new thread. I am very, very, very disappointed with the Mark Levinson stereo system in my 2012 Lexus LS460L.

I swear I'm not just saying this but one of the MAIN reasons I traded in my 2008 Lexus LS460L for a brand new one is the stereo system.

Yes. I like the soft, quiet ride. Yes, I like the luxury features. And, yes - I like the interior/exterior appearance. Amongst those favorites is the stereo system. How on EARTH can this piece of garbage be so damned quiet?! How was the sound system in my 2008 SO MUCH LOUDER?! I can't STAND it.

I swear I will not buy another LS if something isn't done about this. I have this EXTRAORDINARY sound system - but it doesn't go loud. And I know what you're thinking - it DOES go loud. NOT TO ME. With my 2008, Satellite/FM/CD - they were all the same volume. With my 2012, FM and CD are loud as well. Satellite, USB and Bluetooth are extremely low. I never use FM or CD...

I know this is a setting intentionally made by Lexus. All it takes is some programming to fix it. I don't know why I need a NANNY to LIMIT MY VOLUME.

Very Displeased...and a little bit insulted.
Wow!! So you are going to bash the LS because the audio system wasn't up to your standards? Did you listen to it before you bought it? If it's not loud enough for you, drive to a audio shop and put in 4 15's. It should be loud enough then.
Old 12-08-12, 01:46 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Sal, Call the Lexus customer satisfaction line. I will PM you the name of the rep to ask for. She knows this problem well as she has been dealing with me for 3+ months. I proved to them that the 2012 has a problem with the bass, their field engineer has proof of it. I measured the sound levels and frequencies using an RTA analyzer on an iPhone. They know that it sounds different, and that it doesn't play as loud, but they don't have a solution.
Thank you. I'll add my name to the list than...

Originally Posted by jlawr
I and many others had to have their amps replaced under warranty with the 2007-2009 ML System. I suspect Lexus put a "governor" on the volume to prevent blowing and replacing so many amps under warranty.

I doubt Lexus will increase the allowed volume in the future.
Ahh, well look at that. There it is... I doubt it too. Time to step up their game, I guess.

Originally Posted by CJITTY
If I weren't leasing I'd upgrade the system but I don't keep cars long enough...

Originally Posted by ElliotB
As a new owner of a 2010 with the ML system, I must say I agree with Sal 100%.
I'm going to guess that everyone who appreciates loud music who's owned by a pre 2010 and a newer model LS460 notice this problem.

Originally Posted by richie3888
Wow!! So you are going to bash the LS because the audio system wasn't up to your standards? Did you listen to it before you bought it? If it's not loud enough for you, drive to a audio shop and put in 4 15's. It should be loud enough then.
Did you read my post? Why would I have to examine the quality of a 2012 Mark Levinson sound system when I had the same thing in my 2008 for two years? I shouldn't have to do that. And four fifteen inch subwoofers aren't going to do anything to improve the low highs and midrange sounds that I'm missing as well.

The LS460L is already an incomplete package (for ME) with it's lackluster performance. Now there's another glaring issue and that removes the LS from my short list next year.

Quick Reply: I'm really disappointed and I want the world to know it...