LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Started car and got super high rev's, smoke and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 06:53 PM
richgeo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started car and got super high rev's, smoke and vibration

Three weeks ago got in the car, started it and it immediately began to vibrate with high revs and white smoke pouring out and would not stop. Turned it off and restarted it with same results. Then I drove it around the block and it finnally stopped. This has not occurred since. Took it to dealer and they could find anything wrong, since not any of the warning lights came on during this occurance. It is a 2008 LS with just 38,000 miles on it. Any ideas what could have caused it?
Thanks
Old 12-04-12, 07:26 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by richgeo
Three weeks ago got in the car, started it and it immediately began to vibrate with high revs and white smoke pouring out and would not stop. Turned it off and restarted it with same results. Then I drove it around the block and it finnally stopped. This has not occurred since. Took it to dealer and they could find anything wrong, since not any of the warning lights came on during this occurance. It is a 2008 LS with just 38,000 miles on it. Any ideas what could have caused it?
Thanks
Was the car sitting for a period of time, or was it siting over night?
Old 12-04-12, 08:02 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Thanks
Sounds like one of the cylinders was getting water into it - an indication of a cracked head or blown head gasket, a condition that will return and get worse.
Old 12-04-12, 08:25 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow..that is crazy!! Keep us posted
Old 12-05-12, 08:34 AM
richgeo
Driver School Candidate

JM craney, what would cause a cracked head/gasket leak on a car with just 38K? Maybe someone to do with the valve springs callback??
Old 12-05-12, 08:35 AM
richgeo
Driver School Candidate

SB, just sitting overnight.
Old 12-05-12, 09:10 AM
jmcraney

JM craney, what would cause a cracked head/gasket leak on a car with just 38K? Maybe someone to do with the valve springs callback??
Well, I think that a head gasket or cracked head is an extremely wild guess, however he didn't mention any oil residue or odor from the smoke. What else makes odorless white smoke and no reside? It was a sort of a "straw-man" answer to stimulate some knowledgable person to help.

You need to keep in mind that certain atmospheric conditions make the exhaust more visible when the engine is cold and that effect goes away as the car warms up. And sometimes starting a car for a short time when it is cold and then turning it off will leave it sort of flooded and cause it to run rough the next time it is started. Since there was no forensic evidence such as residue or OBD log perhaps it was a convergence of coincidences.

Last edited by jmcraney; 12-05-12 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-05-12, 10:32 AM
richgeo
Driver School Candidate

JM, there was a somewhat foul order from the smoke, but I can't remember what to compare it to.
Old 12-05-12, 11:04 AM
jmcraney

JM, there was a somewhat foul order from the smoke, but I can't remember what to compare it to.
When we start the car cold, for a short time, and turn it off it leaves it flooded because the fuel/air mixture must be very rich and the RPMs must be high to keep it from stalling. That leaves some raw gasoline in the cylinders that will foul the spark plugs, causing the engine to run rough and the exhaust to smell of raw gasoline when the engine is started later.

I did this trick a few days ago by leaving my car sitting in the driveway for a day, and then moving it into the garage the next day, about 15 feet. Then the following day I cranked up and it ran very tough until I had driven the equivalent of two or three blocks.

These are normal events when gasoline is used for fuel and although they are disconcerting they are not usually an indication of a problem.