LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Interior LED Upgrade Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-12, 11:24 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removal of dome bulbs for LED replacement boards ??

Originally Posted by Tee
Sup fellas!

This thread is for my LED light fans, I recently swapped out my LED dome lights to some super hella bright panels that CJITTY ran across and turn me on to. We first swapped out the rear festoon LED to the new light cause it was weak BUT I thought let me put two of them up front as well. The front LED bulbs were decent but wanted more light output and let me tell you these new ones due the job beautifully!

Check it out two boards up front & one in the back.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI....I did buy the LED boards, removed the dome plastic cover....but am confused as to how to remove the existing bulbs. They appear to be a bayonet type in a twist black plastic housing....but not sure how to remove or what to do next....2009 460 awd base...thanks Mike
Old 11-18-12, 03:11 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike171333
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI....I did buy the LED boards, removed the dome plastic cover....but am confused as to how to remove the existing bulbs. They appear to be a bayonet type in a twist black plastic housing....but not sure how to remove or what to do next....2009 460 awd base...thanks Mike
The bulbs with the black cover on the left and right are already LEDs. The board LEDs are for the bulb in the center, all you need o do is plug the adapter into the bulb wires that looks like the center bulb.
Old 11-19-12, 04:55 AM
mike171333
Rookie

Default continued dome light question...

Originally Posted by SBlexus
The bulbs with the black cover on the left and right are already LEDs. The board LEDs are for the bulb in the center, all you need o do is plug the adapter into the bulb wires that looks like the center bulb.
------------------------------------------------

If I was able to attach the picture this is what my dome light looks like. I believe the 2 small reading lights [at the bottom of my picture] are the leds that exist that you refer to....but I thought the new led cards replaced the two bulbs.[near the top of my picture]....which I cannot remove. They will twist and the base becomes loose...but too large to get the black plastic base out......and the bulb itself does not release. Please bear with my confusion.....

thanks Mike
Attached Thumbnails New Interior LED Upgrade Mod-lexus-front-dome.jpg  
Old 11-19-12, 10:01 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

------------------------------------------------

If I was able to attach the picture this is what my dome light looks like. I believe the 2 small reading lights [at the bottom of my picture] are the leds that exist that you refer to....but I thought the new led cards replaced the two bulbs.[near the top of my picture]....which I cannot remove. They will twist and the base becomes loose...but too large to get the black plastic base out......and the bulb itself does not release. Please bear with my confusion.....

thanks Mike
Ok those are the wedge type bulbs and they just pull straight out.
Old 11-19-12, 10:10 AM
PhatDad
Driver

Exactly! Just grab a hold of the bulb and pull it straight out. No twisting or turning.
Old 11-19-12, 04:04 PM
mike171333
Rookie

Default bulb does not pull out--got it...but, ....

OK..thanks.....I did pull them down and they did come out fine. Interestingly, the LED boards are just a fraction too large to fit in the opening. Don't know if they can be shaved down a 1/16th on one side to fit [wires protrude from the other side]

For now I buttoned it back up and returned to stock.
Old 11-19-12, 04:33 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

OK..thanks.....I did pull them down and they did come out fine. Interestingly, the LED boards are just a fraction too large to fit in the opening. Don't know if they can be shaved down a 1/16th on one side to fit [wires protrude from the other side]

Order from amazon there the same for your door lights on the bottom, 194 LEDs.
Old 11-19-12, 04:44 PM
escapedcon
Driver

just installed mine.

pushed them in tight and they stay. a bit slanted not 100% level.

anyhow, thx for the tip, OP. my car looks so much better now inside when dome lights are on. not to mention a lot more practical with the better light output.

on to the doors and "leg"? lights now.. eventually I'd like to change all interior lights to LED

any suggestions?

(wish I had the guts to tackle the side mirrors also but taking them apart seems a bit too much right now)

EDIT: found these for the doors:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by escapedcon; 11-19-12 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 05:30 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by escapedcon
just installed mine.

anyhow, thx for the tip, OP. my car looks so much better now inside when dome lights are on. not to mention a lot more practical with the better light output.

on to the doors and "leg"? lights now.. eventually I'd like to change all interior lights to LED

any suggestions?

(wish I had the guts to tackle the side mirrors also but taking them apart seems a bit too much right now)

EDIT: found these for the doors: http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers...pr_product_top
I would go with the 194-168-5. The ones you pick I think will be too long to fit the factory bracket. The mirrors are simple a 10 mins or less job. Tilt the glass up an pull the glass out,unscrew the 4 screws and pull the 2 pieces apart and the bulb is at the bottom. It's that easy good luck.
Old 11-19-12, 08:48 PM
escapedcon
Driver

The mirrors are simple a 10 mins or less job. Tilt the glass up an pull the glass out,unscrew the 4 screws and pull the 2 pieces apart and the bulb is at the bottom. It's that easy good luck.
well I just did my headlight bulbs so I doubt the mirrors are more difficult from what you are saying so I might give it a go. thanks
Old 11-19-12, 08:56 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

there is a mirror removal demo on youtube...its not hard at all
Old 11-20-12, 07:23 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by escapedcon
just installed mine.

any suggestions?

EDIT: found these for the doors: http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers...pr_product_top
Glad you and other members are liking this mod!

Last edited by Tee; 11-20-12 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-20-12, 05:32 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tee
Glad you and other members are liking this mod!
You the man Tee. Thought you were coming with your boy to O-town.
Old 11-20-12, 06:03 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

You the man Tee. Thought you were coming with your boy to O-town.
I wanted too bro but spending holiday time with the family, I will make it down they eventually need some audio work done!
Old 12-06-12, 06:57 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I tried a thin flat head screwdriver covered with plastic to no avail. My interior removal tool is too thick and won't fit the edges of the light cover. I don't want to break the thing.

What did you guys use and where around the cover did you use it at to get to this:

And any hints for the one in the back?

Quick Reply: New Interior LED Upgrade Mod