LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Extended warranty recommendation

Old 09-06-12, 06:34 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Extended warranty recommendation

I recently bought a 2007 LS with 70k miles. It is out of warranty. Should I purchase an aftermarket extended warranty? If so, which one(s) are the best?

Thanks
Old 09-06-12, 08:34 AM
BPVIP
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Watch out!! and look at reviews online!!

I called these guys and they gave me a smoking to good to be true deal! like $1500 for an 100k miles of protection (thats on top of my 60k miles on my 08 LS460) and they said they will throw in flat tire service which he says they will replace the tire, but I had to sign up in 2 days to get this service, why the rush??? So I researched online and saw all these bad reviews like in the link below, (even on youtube) So it said in my info packet I can cancel within a month.

So I talked to a Lexus service manager I think it was Tustin, Ca its the closest to me, and he said EVERY 3rd party warranty company is a head ache to work with and the Lexus owner ends up paying for part of the service, or all of it (the rep told me it would ALL be covered and when I asked him to put it in writing he wouldn't do it and asked me to look at the contract. Also the sales rep said we want you to go to a Lexus dealer ship to do the fixes, and I told them will you pay there FULL hourly fee and part and he wouldn't give me a answer just look at the contract. Oh and the service manager at Tustin Lexus told me you are probably most likely not needing to pay for that 3rd party service because the cars are so well build and your mileage is low 60k but he said its my call, in his opinion he said he wouldnt buy it because you will end up paying anyways on top of your lump sum first payment or monthly payment plan.

So I cancelled and my sales man was a *******!!! he put me on hold like 4 times just because I asked for the customer service number to cancel also throwing me attitude (was on the hold message on the phone) then he finally gave it to me and it was the same # just option 2 or 3 or something? ******* then when i talked to the customer service rep he said I needed to talk to my account rep FOOOOK! are you serious! got put on hold AGAIN! (been on phone for about 40min now) finally got to my rep (i think his name is Chris) finally he emailed me the cancellation form, and at the end of our conversation he says,
"do you always buy something then return it after a couple days!?" I was like NO YOU DIDNT!!! I told him him yo its MY $$ I'll do whatever the **** I want with it and you can for sure know I will let everyone I know not to buy from your ****ed up company!

DO A LOT OF RESEARCH, I ended up not getting 3rd party warranty as I heard they go out of business very fast thats why when you see there date of when they opened there all fairly new so you might buy your policy and they go out of business. Hope this helps.
Also READ THERE CONTRACT before buying!!!!!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/direct-buy-a...ranty-metuchen
Old 09-06-12, 09:29 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Check with both of these people, they sell the Lexus warranties at a lot better price than a Lexus dealer.

Troy Dietrich Greenfield Toyota 413-772-0231

Jerry Johnson Midwest Toyota 1-800-530-5789

Stay away from after market warranties in my opinion...
Old 09-06-12, 09:37 AM
BPVIP
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
Check with both of these people, they sell the Lexus warranties at a lot better price than a Lexus dealer.

Troy Dietrich Greenfield Toyota 413-772-0231

Jerry Johnson Midwest Toyota 1-800-530-5789

Stay away from after market warranties in my opinion...
Can you still get the warranty if you have over 50k miles?
Old 09-06-12, 12:11 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warranties

You cannot get a Lexus extended warranty after your original factory warranty expires.

As for aftermarket warranties, I have no experience with them. However, a friend of mine has one from a place called "Warranty Direct" and she has used it twice and it paid the claims with no hassle. One claim was for a couple of hundred dollars, and the other was for $560. This is by no way an endorsement of them.
Old 09-10-12, 05:25 AM
madlad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

( have an '07 w/58K miles and CPO'd until May 2013. Considering an extended warranty beyond then. Will Lexus sell me an extended warranty? I won't do a 3rd party for the reasons cited. I've read the contracts and the exclusions are numerous. I only drive it about 5K miles a year, so the existing warranty will expire B4 I reach 100K
Old 09-10-12, 01:52 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default Extended warranty

Once your car is out of the warranty provided by Lexus they will not sell you an extended warranty.
Old 09-10-12, 08:49 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

had a 3rd party warranty on my previous GS. Worst purchase ever. That company tried to re-new my policy even when i already sold the car! total BS.

CPO extended(extra care certified plan) is available for purchase AT THE time when CPO car is bought.

more info here
Old 09-12-12, 07:26 AM
verneyboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty

Interesting , in Australia Lexus will allow us to purchase extended warranty
We can buy another 3 years or 100,000 ) 60,000 miles for 2,150
That's after the 4 year warranty has expired , I've just purchased it
For my ls 600
Old 09-13-12, 05:07 AM
madlad
Driver

To Valley 101: Your response is unclear. I'm still questioning if I can get an extended factory warranty for a car that is already under a factory CPO warranty. I don't intend to wait until the CPO warrant expires
Old 09-13-12, 10:54 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default Warranty

Refer to ALeX above. That is the way it was told to me a couple of years ago. The number of years and mileage start from the initial "in-service" date of the car to the original buyer. Check with the Lexus dealer you bought it from to see if you can extend the CPO warranty after the purchase date. It would be an exclusionary warranty if it can still be purchased.
Old 09-13-12, 11:39 AM
madlad
Driver

Quoted $4K for 5 add'l. yrs plus $100 per incident deductible. Good to 119K miles assuming policy in effect at 60K. $500 less for 48 months/119K miles. Platinum coverage. Policy under Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc., exclusive provider for all Lexus dealers in Georgia. Lexus doesn't offer extended manufaturers warranties for cars over 50K miles. I average 5K miles a year and have regular maintenance performed at the dealer, so I question whether it makes financial sense to purchase an extended warranty at these prices. I have a gut feeling it would be a $4K gift to Lexus, given most things I would be worried about are excluded and I'd still hav e to pay for. Think I may pass on this and Pray it breaks down while I'm still under the CPO warranty.
Old 09-13-12, 12:30 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Madlad,
This issue has been discussed here many times. Statistically, you are going to lose if you purchase the warranty, but if this gives you piece of mind and let's you sleep better at night, then I would suggest you purchase it. My personal opinion... I have a 2008 LS which I purchased brand new and has been almost trouble free. Before my factory warranty has expired, I purchased Lexus extended warranty so that I could sleep better. In addition to being Lexus product, it was also a lot cheaper than what you were quoted. Would I purchase a $4K non-lexus warranty if I was in your position? More than likely not, but you need to make this decision for your self.
Old 09-13-12, 02:08 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default Extended warranty

The car would have to have some serious issues to justify that price. If you want to make sure you have the money to pay for an unlikely major repair, pay yourself. Put the $4000 in the bank/credit union and if you need it, you will have it. If you do not need it, you then have a nest egg, or an additional $4000 down payment toward your next car, when that time comes, plus a very small amount of interest. Always pay yourself first.
Old 09-13-12, 02:52 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm covered for the next 5 years / 125k miles on my 2008 600hL..bought it certified and paid the extra for the add 2 years and 25k CPO wrap. With a car like a 600 with all options, I will be sure to utilize my warranty lol.

I have used third party before. Never an issue but you have to document maintenance!! Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended warranty recommendation