LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

rattle in or near the driver side pillar right by my ear

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 05:56 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rattle in or near the driver side pillar right by my ear

it has been driving me absolutely batty. a rattle that will present itself when I'm driving over slightly rough road... it doesn't take much to set it off. I thought it was maybe a cable or loose attachment pin somewhere in the pillar. I've taken the pillar down and the sound still persists so it's not in the pillar cover. I've held the seat belt spring and mechanism while driving and it still persists so it's not there. even with the cover off I swear I cannot locate exactly what it is... it's almost as if it may be coming from behind the metal in the pillar. Is there any way to get back in there and check? Anybody had a similar rattle? I can't really hear it if I have the stereo up, but d@mn it annoys the heck out of me cause it's right by my ear.

sometimes while it's happening I'll bang on the pillar above the seat belt a couple hard whacks and that'll seem to stop it sometimes for a bit, but it will return... and maybe that's just my imagination that the banging is stopping it...
Old 04-12-13, 11:45 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Well I had a few pm's asking if I had found this rattle culprit, so I thought I would update this thread.

I'm still searching, though I have deduced that it is temperature related. It goes away in the winter, but now that it's 80+ here in NC again, the dreaded clicking rattle is back. It still sounds like a cable or line of some sort rattling against the wall of the pillar or something of that sort. It only rattles when going over bumps and sometimes when turning. It's not THAT loud, it's just right by my left ear so it's impossible to ignore.

When you take the pillar cover off to expose the seat belt mechanism, there is a structural pillar inside that that is just painted metal...it seems hollow, but I can't seem to get a look inside it. I wonder if there is a cable of some sort inside that. Anybody know?

Fortunately this little rattle is the most annoying part about my fine automobile, but damn does it get on my nerves that I cannot seem to get to it.
Old 04-12-13, 12:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It may be coming from the shiny black b pillar garnish piece that is on the outside of the door.
Old 04-12-13, 12:55 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It may be coming from the shiny black b pillar garnish piece that is on the outside of the door.
hmm... good thought.

Anybody know what's under those plastic trim pieces and how you get them off?