Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS460, LS460L and LS600h
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Performance Brake Rotors & Pads

Old 08-23-12, 11:28 AM   #1
Amai21
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Performance Brake Rotors & Pads

I recently purchased and installed premium slotted/drilled rotors with premium semi metallic brake pads from Performancebrake.com. I am having issues with grinding split second before I come to a stop, and instantly right after I let off the brake pedal. Besides that everything is great. I have made sure that everything is greased properly , and installed a new brake hardware kit. Any thoughts, on how I can get rid of this annoying grind?

I spoke to a representative at performance brake and they are willing to send me another set of brake pads. I was thinking of telling them to send me the premium ceramics instead. They recommend not to run ceramics on slotted rotors?? Does that sound about right?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Amai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 11:51 AM   #2
Amai21
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention that I also have a light fluttering noise coming from the rotors while driving with no brakes applied. They say that is normal due to the slots. ??
Old 08-23-12, 12:09 PM   #3
CJITTY
Lexus Champion

CJATL404

I had akebono proact ceramics on my acura tl with slotted rotors and it was the best combo I have ever had..no dust, good performance, no noise at all
CJITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 12:10 PM   #4
G-SharK
Pole Position

Send a message via AIM to G-SharK

Metallic pads will do that. Use ceramic pads, they will stop faster and less brake dust. Go with Akebono, they are the best and price is not bad.
G-SharK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 01:26 PM   #5
Amai21
Driver School Candidate

Will that be okay with the drilled/slotted rotors? I was thinking the same, but Performancebrake has a different opinion.
Old 08-23-12, 01:55 PM   #6
G-SharK
Pole Position

Send a message via AIM to G-SharK

They will be fine! I've been around some many rotors and pads all my life. A friend of mine dads use to own a manufacturing business that make auto parts.
G-SharK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 03:49 PM   #7
CJITTY
Lexus Champion

CJATL404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amai21 View Post
Will that be okay with the drilled/slotted rotors? I was thinking the same, but Performancebrake has a different opinion.
Guess you missed my earlier reply ...ceramics and slotted/drilled won't be an issue at all
CJITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 06:54 PM   #8
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Sblexus

Sometimes they ship these rotors with a coating on them that needs to be thoroughly clean before installation.
Old 11-09-12, 07:04 PM   #9
ehaze
Driver

@Amai21

Any update on the pads and rotors?

I'm needed to replace mine...
Old 11-10-12, 12:17 PM   #10
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

If its brake performance I had the same grinding issue and a weird whirling noise as I came to a stop from high speed. I am still so pissed about it. I spent the money for the parts, payed the labor to have it installed then had to pay to have the crap parts removed and the oem stuff reinstalled. I just cleaned out my garage to have the floors epoxied and I found the parts. Dont have the stomach to toss it but Im not putting that **** on my car again. I guess its final! Avoid brake performance brake rotors and pads.

2010 LEXUS ISF / F Sport rear Sway Bar / Michelin PSS

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 07:15 AM   #11
NobleSpine
Rookie

Based on recommendations on this forum, I have Akebono pads installed and rotors resurfaced, it is better than before but I do have some whirling noise when coming to a stop. Disappointed little bit and thinking of going OEM for both pads and rotors at once and elimate the issue. Does anyone know the total cost of parts and labor for OEM at dealer?
NobleSpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 07:44 AM   #12
JFNash
Lead Lap

I've been using mine (premium brakeperformance with posi ceramic pads) for a little more than 2yrs and 50,000 miles, and here is my experience:

- When I installed them, I was told by few people that I should brake gently for the 1st 500 miles (I think nospinzone said something to this effect but I can't be sure). Braking gradually evolved to its current performance through the 1st 1,000 miles and remained the same ever since.

- When I drive beside a wall or a barrier with a window pulled down, I can hear some noise echoing from the wall/barrier I'm driving by. When I pull up the window, the noise is gone. That's not even something I'd ever invest a thought in, let alone invest emotions.

- After releasing the brake pedal at a complete stop, I hear a mild click from the brake. Not sure what's causing it, but I never thought of it as annoying. But I thought I would report it anyways.

- Lately, I'd hear a one-click noise upon braking and minor vibration in the front end of the car. I resurfaced the rotors, replaced the arms, shock absorbers, struts...etc and the noise and vibration disappeared. Not sure what solved what and how.

- Finally, what makes me quite forgiving with the shortcomings of these rotors & ceramic pads is 3 things: a) noticeably improved braking performance over stock, b) zero black dust on the rims even with days and days without cleaning, and c) longevity and longer resurfacing/replacement intervals

I know that everyone has a certain limit of forgiveness toward these little things (that can arguably be big things given its an LS460), but I think mine happens to be quite ample.

18ABMR: If I ever come across someone who wants yours or if I need to replace mine, would you be willing to sell them? Assuming they're in factory condition.

Last edited by JFNash; 11-12-12 at 07:48 AM..
JFNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 07:03 AM   #13
ehaze
Driver

sounds like going OEM is the safe bet.
Old 11-13-12, 11:57 AM   #14
adamsrotors
Sponsor

adamsrotors adamsrotors
Send a message via AIM to adamsrotors

sounds more like they just need to be broken-in more and were not bed properly...

more on this in our FAQ's if you care to look.
adamsrotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 11:57 AM