LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

First post here

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 01:45 PM
gjmattos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post here

I have a 2009 LS 460 ready to trade and was wondering what folks think about the 2013 CLS550 compared to the 2013 LS 460? I know not many have driven the 13 LS but speaking of the LS in general. I will be test driving the CLS Friday but I have read a few good things already. I do enjoy the Lexus dealer and the 460 so it will have to be really impressive to move me I think. For those who have compared already how do you feel, thanks?
Old 08-22-12, 02:08 PM
NobleSpine
Rookie

I purchased a 2007 LS460L from a mercedes dealer. The original owner traded in this low mileage, well maintained and highly optioned car for a CLS, i always wondered why, thought that as a downgrade. But there has to be some good reason.
Old 08-22-12, 02:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

LS is a flagship. The CLS is not, but it is a bad *** ride none the less. The LS is more luxurious and the CLS is sporty. Im sure there will be thing you will like and dislike about both. I think the benz will bring the fun back to driving
Old 08-22-12, 03:37 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

CLS is much tighter than the LS. I can not find myself comfortable in that car at all, but that's just me. I own both a Benz and a LS and I went with the bigger of the Benzs.
Old 08-22-12, 04:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very different cars. ls is a flagship, a bit more status, much bigger inside, more plush and comfortable ride

the cls550 is much tighter and smaller, but it's also much faster and much more nimble. it drives a lot sportier, bolder lines on styling as well. but it's not s class (flagship).

really comes down to what you want from the car. i honestly would say interior is a toss on what you want. mb interior is greatly updated, but some stuff the ls is still better
Old 08-22-12, 04:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by adamls2
CLS is much tighter than the LS. I can not find myself comfortable in that car at all, but that's just me. I own both a Benz and a LS and I went with the bigger of the Benzs.
well cls is a e class coupe, so it's a lot tighter for sure
Old 08-22-12, 06:27 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well cls is a e class coupe, so it's a lot tighter for sure
Yeah but I think the new cls has a bigger appearance than the e-class. The new cls has a nicer bolder look than the 1st generation. I say go for it you can always trade it and come back home to your Lexus family if you don't like it.
Old 08-22-12, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SBlexus
Yeah but I think the new cls has a bigger appearance than the e-class. The new cls has a nicer bolder look than the 1st generation. I say go for it you can always trade it and come back home to your Lexus family if you don't like it.
it's still no where close to the size of s class or ls. been in it
Old 08-23-12, 03:54 AM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2012 MB CLS550 and a Lexus LS460
following are my subjective observations:

1. MB is much nicer looking based on compliments from friends and strangers.

2. Lexus fit and finish, body gap, leather used in seat are much more superior. MB body gap , fit and finish still upset me after almost one year into ownership.

3. Lexus is a lux sedan, quite, comfort and no drama.

4. MB has sport car like handling, stiff even wiith air suspension, and very uncomfortable backseat.

5. No mechanical issue with Lexus, but couple issues with MB already.

Hope this help.
Old 08-23-12, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by chuang
I have a 2012 MB CLS550 and a Lexus LS460
following are my subjective observations:

1. MB is much nicer looking based on compliments from friends and strangers.

2. Lexus fit and finish, body gap, leather used in seat are much more superior. MB body gap , fit and finish still upset me after almost one year into ownership.

3. Lexus is a lux sedan, quite, comfort and no drama.

4. MB has sport car like handling, stiff even wiith air suspension, and very uncomfortable backseat.

5. No mechanical issue with Lexus, but couple issues with MB already.

Hope this help.
great fair review!
Old 08-23-12, 05:49 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's still no where close to the size of s class or ls. been in it
Your right on the size, if u gotta an weight issue don't even think about sitting in the back seat you will get stuck 4 sure. Lol
Old 08-23-12, 08:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SBlexus
Your right on the size, if u gotta an weight issue don't even think about sitting in the back seat you will get stuck 4 sure. Lol
at least the new one is already way better than the 1st gen
Old 08-24-12, 06:17 AM
stas2007
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO I couldnt even fit in the CLS, and i am not fat, even fit in C-class better
I love that car but think about how quickly you ll start hating it if you gotta bend over backwards to get in all the time
Old 08-24-12, 07:31 AM
FrankyBoy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by gjmattos
I have a 2009 LS 460 ready to trade and was wondering what folks think about the 2013 CLS550 compared to the 2013 LS 460? I know not many have driven the 13 LS but speaking of the LS in general. I will be test driving the CLS Friday but I have read a few good things already. I do enjoy the Lexus dealer and the 460 so it will have to be really impressive to move me I think. For those who have compared already how do you feel, thanks?
Going from my own experience when I owned a 2006 Mercedes Benz CLS500, I had nothing but issues with that car before and after the 50k warranty expired. Numerous electrical problems that led to the entire climate control that had to replaced (Luckily under warranty at the time). If I didn't have a warranty, the cost would've been $7,000 to fix it. The air suspension went out on the passenger side that I didn't get fix and that was around $1800 with labor to fix that. I had many more issues with that car than any car I have ever owned including three Ford Mustang convertibles.

So think of the CLS as a high maintenance woman! She's always looks good, gets compliments everywhere you go, she'll keep you waiting, and you'll spend a fortune!

That's real talk there for dat ***!
Old 08-24-12, 08:53 AM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FrankyBoy
Going from my own experience when I owned a 2006 Mercedes Benz CLS500, I had nothing but issues with that car before and after the 50k warranty expired. Numerous electrical problems that led to the entire climate control that had to replaced (Luckily under warranty at the time). If I didn't have a warranty, the cost would've been $7,000 to fix it. The air suspension went out on the passenger side that I didn't get fix and that was around $1800 with labor to fix that. I had many more issues with that car than any car I have ever owned including three Ford Mustang convertibles.

So think of the CLS as a high maintenance woman! She's always looks good, gets compliments everywhere you go, she'll keep you waiting, and you'll spend a fortune!

That's real talk there for dat ***!
I could not have said it better. I thought CLS would be a perfect car for me, since I usaully do not keep a car for more than 2 to 3 years before I get tire of it. CLS is not reliable even when new. It's V8 turbo engine burn about 1.5 quart of oil every 10K mile, which the dealer said it is within normal limits, similar to MB and BMW I had about a decade ago.

I was hoping to go from CLS to 2013 Lexus LS later this year, but I am very dissapointed with the2013 LS update. Maybe I will wait until MB S class out sometime next year to make my decision.

Quick Reply: First post here